Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #16
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Disclaimer:
** I am not responsible for any damage to your device. Please take care of your actions. Flashing not suitable images to partitions can brick your device. **

Edit 2021/03/18: I have added Magisk boot image for Max Lumi v. 3.1. Updating a rooted Max Lumi over the air is working. After installing a (full) firmware update you have to flash the patched boot image again.

Steps to install:
[1] Current firmware version of Max Lumi is 3.1. Attached bootimage is not suitable for other Boox devices!
[2] Download and install Magisk Manager on Max Lumi. Edit: current name is Magisk.
[3] Do you have installed adb, fastboot and USB drivers on your computer? 15 seconds ADB installer for Windows.
[4] Enable usb debugging on your Max Lumi. See Settings/Applications. Plug Max Lumi into your computer, accept fingerprint message and run in command line to check connection.
Code:
adb devices
[5] start a bootloader session
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Your Max Lumi will reboot and you will see the Onyx logo on screen. That's normal.
[5] The bootloader of Max Lumi is unlocked by default. That's nice. Thanks Onyx. You can check it with:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
[6] flash patched bootimage
Code:
fastboot flash boot your_patched_boot.img
Then your Max Lumi reboots by itself. Otherwise type:
Code:
fastboot reboot
[7] Start Magisk Manager and you use "direct install" method to root permanently.

Sample terminal session:
Code:
C:\Users\Leo\Desktop\Max Lumi>adb devices
List of devices attached
e3b2a8ed        device

C:\Users\Leo\Desktop\Max Lumi>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Users\Leo\Desktop\Max Lumi>fastboot flashing unlock
FAILED (remote:         Device already : unlocked!)
finished. total time: 0.004s

C:\Users\Leo\Desktop\Max Lumi>fastboot boot Max_Lumi_v3.0.Magisk.21.2.boot.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.276s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.301s

C:\Users\Leo\Desktop\Max Lumi>
Further reading:
It's a non standard installation of Magisk, because Max Lumi has a bootimage without ramdisk but loads this ramdisk when it is patched to bootimage.
decrypt Boox Update Upx, to get a boot image for your Boox device of encrypted firmware update.
Max 3 Rooted by diabl0w.

Booting into recovery mode: (just in case you need it)
[1] With pressed home button connect your turned off Max Lumi with USB C to a charger.
[2] You get the Onyx splash boot screen.
[3] Release the home button.
[4] LED next to power button is blue. Recovery mode starts.
[5] Select option in recovery mode with home button. Execute option with power button.

Screenshots:
#1 Magisk Manager on rooted Max Lumi with AdAway app in Split Screen mode
#2 & #3 Magisk Direct Install
Hi. I have just a couple of questions:
1-Can I root an Onyx device with Android 6 (Onyx Note first generation) in the same way?
2-At the moment I use Kingroot to root my device and then I use Supersu-Me to switch to SuperSu: what are advantages if I use Magisk to do it?
Thank you for your help

Last edited by cicabum; 05-25-2021 at 11:04 AM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #17
Grorom
Grorom began at the beginning.

Device: onyx Book Max Lumi
Unhappy touch not working after flashing

Hi yokos,

thanks a lot for this work !

Quote:
Firmware version 3.1 is out. I have added a current Magisk boot image in first post.
I've flashed with fastboot the Max_Lumi_v3.1.Magisk.22.0.boot.img, but now I can't login in the device because the touch screen doesn't work, do you have an idea how could I fix this ?
Grorom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #18
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grorom View Post
Hi yokos,

thanks a lot for this work !

I've flashed with fastboot the Max_Lumi_v3.1.Magisk.22.0.boot.img, but now I can't login in the device because the touch screen doesn't work, do you have an idea how could I fix this ?
You can use a USB keyboard to enter the password.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #19
Grorom

Quote:
You can use a USB keyboard to enter the password.
thanks for the quick reply !

I've reset/wiped to factory via recovery (the touch is working there) but it doesn't wake up the touch-screen...
Using a keyboard is cool but I was hoping to get back the touch-screen working. I've tried to flash the Max_Lumi_v3.1.original.boot.img... nothing happened in that direction
Old 10-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #20
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Can you check, whether 'finger touch disabled' is set in Android scroll down menu?
Advert
Old 10-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #21
Grorom

Quote:
Can you check, whether 'finger touch disabled' is set in Android scroll down menu?
It's enable.
Ill try to flash the zip file I've generated with decryptBooxUpdateUpx to get the device completely clean...
Old 10-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #22
Grorom

It's really strange, I've tried a calibration before flashing just by curiosity, now the pen works, not my fingers !?!
Old 10-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #23
Grorom

I'm a bite lost, I can not flash the file update.zip (made with update.upx from the boox website), I've this message "archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'"... do you have an idea what should be in this message ?
Old 10-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #24
Grorom

hmmm... in the "About Device" the "Capacitive touch version" beeing 0x0 could be the problem's source doesn't it ?
Old 10-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #25
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

That is pretty weird! Android Scroll down menu with finger touch is working?
My 'Capacitive touch version' says: 0xEE
Can you start com.onyx.android.production.test?
It is the Chinese testing app. The bottom middle button is touch screen testing.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #26
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Two suggestion for apps, mine, but there are undoubtedly others like them.

adbgrab.exe is a Windows application that will mirror your device's screen and allow you to mouse click. It works over ADB and is very slow, but will get you somewhere with a broken screen or touch sensor. http://www.temblast.com/adbgrab.htm

UsbMode.apk is an Android application that does a few things, one of which is to show touches. All of the screen (besides the GUI buttons) will react. http://www.temblast.com/android.htm

You can also go into Developer Options and enable "Show touches".
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #27
Grorom

Quote:
That is pretty weird! Android Scroll down menu with finger touch is working?
Nope, not with my fingers, only with the stylus. Everything seams to work perfectly (even the fingerprints, the two physical buttons...). And using my fingers works when I'm on the recovery mode : swipe down or up to change the selection.

Quote:
My 'Capacitive touch version' says: 0xEE
Okay, that is strange. Could the boot's flash could have broken the finger-touch driver ?

Quote:
Can you start com.onyx.android.production.test?
It is the Chinese testing app. The bottom middle button is touch screen testing.
I've found the config files in the root/onyxconfig, but not sure what to do with it, opening it with a text editor only prints "DONE". Do you have a way to run it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
adbgrab.exe is a Windows application that will mirror your device's screen and allow you to mouse click. It works over ADB and is very slow, but will get you somewhere with a broken screen or touch sensor. http://www.temblast.com/adbgrab.htm
I don't have a windows machine, but thanks for the tip, I think a similar tool exists for linux.
For my problem here I've two temporary solutions :
- using the pen which works perfectly since the calibration
- unsing my usb mouse (very strange feeling with this type of screen though)

Quote:
UsbMode.apk is an Android application that does a few things, one of which is to show touches. All of the screen (besides the GUI buttons) will react. http://www.temblast.com/android.htm
Okay, I'll take a look at this ! Thanks !

Quote:
You can also go into Developer Options and enable "Show touches".
I can't find this, where is it on this onyx interface ?
Old 10-07-2021, 03:32 AM   #28
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

@Grorom: which 3.1 version do have installed? older 3.1_ad716f8 or latest 3.1_0631e26? The attached original boot image is of version 3.1_ad716f8.
I have no clue whether a boot image can interfere with finger touch drivers.
I have no boot image of 3.1_0631e26, because only a diff of boot image is included in onyx' not full update file. I haven't installed 3.1_0631e26 yet because firmware update doesn't like my altered system partition and stops. I was not willing to do a factory reset.

Could you have a look at logcat? Error messages of TouchInteractingService or SurfaceFlinger etc.?

You have made a factory reset and this should install original matching boot image, but you got still missing finger touch. When you have finger touch in recovery your max lumi hasn't got a hardware defect.

Plain Android settings with more options than onyx settings
Code:
adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Old 10-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #29
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grorom View Post
I can't find this, where is it on this onyx interface ?
It's in the *stock* Android settings which are either accessible from a non-Onyx Launcher (Onyx blacklists it) or through ADB.
Code:
C:\>adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Settings > Input
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #30
Grorom

Thanks both of you a lot for your helps !
Quote:
@Grorom: which 3.1 version do have installed? older 3.1_ad716f8 or latest 3.1_0631e26? The attached original boot image is of version 3.1_ad716f8.
I have no clue whether a boot image can interfere with finger touch drivers.
I have no boot image of 3.1_0631e26, because only a diff of boot image is included in onyx' not full update file. I haven't installed 3.1_0631e26 yet because firmware update doesn't like my altered system partition and stops. I was not willing to do a factory reset.
Mine is noted 3.1_a2070066
(so don't bother doing a factory reset !!!)

Quote:
Could you have a look at logcat? Error messages of TouchInteractingService or SurfaceFlinger etc.?
I found this in the logcat :
Code:
756   862 W SurfaceFlinger: Faking VSYNC due to driver stall
In which folder are those drivers ? Can I simply put the right file-driver in here and reboot ?

Quote:
You have made a factory reset and this should install original matching boot image, but you got still missing finger touch.
When you have finger touch in recovery your max lumi hasn't got a hardware defect.
Yes, that's what I concluded too, but Jink from Boox's team wants to change the screen !?! I hope to avoid sending the tablet to the support...

Quote:
It's in the *stock* Android settings which are either accessible from a non-Onyx Launcher (Onyx blacklists it) or through ADB.
Code:
C:\>adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Settings > Input
Perfect ! Nice to know this !!! Thanks !
Is there a launcher you suggest being good with black & white screens ?