Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Onyx Boox Poke 3

I saw this on their instagram feed and it seems to be the same price as the poke 2...

https://www.boox.com/poke3/

ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Is it the same case size? Looks bigger than the poke 2 (again, total decide size, screen clearly same size)
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Is it the same case size? Looks bigger than the poke 2 (again, total decide size, screen clearly same size)
From what I can see, using the same link I put in my OP, it sees to be exactly the same size. But as soon as people get their hands on one and we see some reiews coming in we will have to wait to find out. TBH I don't see why it would be any different as it is the same device with a couple of upgrades.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Good Ereader write up

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-now-available

and it seems to be a replacement for the poke 2...

Last edited by ilovereading.com; 10-29-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
They have a comparison form between Poke2 & Poke3 on the product page.

Poke3 has "advanced CPU" and Android 10. Since it stays the same price with Poke2, I think that's a good deal.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Mine arrived 3 hours ago and I'm furious.

Despite making a big selling point of Android 10 and Google Play, when I try to connect my google account, I get a warning that the device is not Play Protect certified -- and the google account configuration fails (with a message to contact the device manufacturer).

I applied the latest OS update first, so I suspect someone at Onyx has screwed up big-time here. No Play support means the included Play Store app simply won't load or allow me to install anything.

Last edited by cstross; 11-12-2020 at 06:39 AM.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post

Despite making a big selling point of Android 10 and Google Play, when I try to connect my google account, I get a warning that the device is not Play Protect certified -- and the google account configuration fails (with a message to contact the device manufacturer).

I applied the latest OS update first, so I suspect someone at Onyx has screwed up big-time here. No Play support means the included Play Store app simply won't load or allow me to install anything.
You'll have to go to Settings -> Applications and activate Google Play at the bottom. Follow the steps described there and wait for 10-15 minutes (it has to update on Google's side). Afterwards restart the device and the Play store should work fine.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:

Settings, Applications, Enable Google Play.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Did that first. Still get the "This device isn't Play PRotect certified" message.

(I suspect someone screwed up with the build of Android they shipped on the device—it appears to be very newly released—and missed out the certification step. It's possible that review machines shipped to journalists and PR outlets had an earlier, properly certified, release. Hopefully they'll push a firmware update that fixes it soon.)

Last edited by cstross; 11-12-2020 at 08:21 AM.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did that first. Still get the "This device isn't Play PRotect certified" message.
Have you tried several times?
I think I can remember that I had a similar problem with my Note Air
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

(I suspect someone screwed up with the build of Android they shipped on the device—it appears to be very newly released—and missed out the certification step. It's possible that review machines shipped to journalists and PR outlets had an earlier, properly certified, release. Hopefully they'll push a firmware update that fixes it soon.)
Like I wrote earlier, it doesn't work instantly, you have be wait for some time and then restart your device for it to work. I've had the same issue with my Nova 3.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #12
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post

Like I wrote earlier, it doesn't work instantly, you have be wait for some time and then restart your device for it to work.
Are they still having this issue?

I had to go through the same rigmarole with my Poke 2. I really wish that Onyx would get their act together and fix this issue.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:47 AM   #13
rantanplan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Are they still having this issue?

I had to go through the same rigmarole with my Poke 2. I really wish that Onyx would get their act together and fix this issue.
They really can't fix that issue for the same reason that Xiaomi can't get their act together: The bald orange president has issued executive orders that prevent Google on working with Chinese vendors.

EDIT
See pazos post below for an accurate reason.

Last edited by rantanplan; 11-16-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
They can't fix the issue. They're not certified devices and will never be (unless Google changes their CTS and certification rules)

I cannot speak for Onyx, but in Likebooks (in android 6, probably in newer versions too) toggling "Play Store Support" will change the fingerprint. The new fingerprint is spoofed from a device which is certified.

That's all. There're not more options. Or the device cames with a spoofed fingerprint from Stock or the fingerprint is changed on demand.

For lurkers, you can figure out which device is your ereader spoofing by typing
Code:
adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint
and doing a google search with the result.

This has nothing to do with nation politics,unlike Huawei, but with Google policies.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
They can't fix the issue. They're not certified devices and will never be (unless Google changes their CTS and certification rules)

I cannot speak for Onyx, but in Likebooks (in android 6, probably in newer versions too) toggling "Play Store Support" will change the fingerprint. The new fingerprint is spoofed from a device which is certified.
At Onyx there is a unique GSF ID with which the device is linked to the Google account.