Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #61
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
I started a project for a new scribble application at https://github.com/peter-x/scribble. I was able to compile it using the SDK and run it on my M92! If you also want to try, please note that currently, the application does nothing ;-)

I learned that the SDK contains a big amount of the sources of the applications on the M92, actually it seems as if the scribble application (the sketch_* files in https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk.../code/src/data) is almost completely contained there (as a widget).

If you have problems compiling the scribble application, please ask me. Any contributions to this project are greatly appreciated!
Hi peterx

Could you say if the PDF viewer sources are there and they can be changed?
Most of us are disappointed by some of the functionality of this application
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #62
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi peterx

Could you say if the PDF viewer sources are there and they can be changed?
Most of us are disappointed by some of the functionality of this application
Sorry, I don't think so. But there are actually several other pdf viewers, isn't it?
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #63
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Can't say, I am not a programmer
All I could see there was some PDF libraries (PoDoFo) and I assumed that those are used to implement the viewer....
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #64
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Can't say, I am not a programmer
All I could see there was some PDF libraries (PoDoFo) and I assumed that those are used to implement the viewer....
I meant that one could use a third-party PDF viewer.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #65
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
When you remember just one year ago as PB started to sell his new 6xx/9xx devices there was a big groaning here about quality issues of their software.
[...]
Just let them time and I am sure the guys of Onyx will do it. Onyx is definitely working faster[...]
OK, but this means, that I would have to wait max. a year (maybe roughly 1/2 year), until Onyx catches up with PocketBook's current progress. But this is unfortunately too long for me.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #66
peterx
Connoisseur

evopedia

Good news: I was able to compile and run evopedia, an offline Wikipedia viewer, on the Onyx Boox M92.

evopedia includes a Qt GUI, but I am not sure if this is usable on an ebook reader. This GUI is used for article search, configuration and to display a map. The articles themselves are displayed by running a browser which contacts an internal webserver. Since there is no usable multitasking interface on the M92, switching back and forth between the evopedia GUI and the browser is not an option. Fortunately, the application can be controlled via the webserver and actually searching for articles is already implemented on the webserver.

To sum things up, I think I can upload a usable version of evopedia in the next days.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #67
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
That's very good news!Just 2 questions:
- How is this offline version going to be updated?
- How much MB does it take? I suppose a lot, being the whole Wikipedia (I suppose the English one)

Thank you for your work! I love opensource !
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #68
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico F. View Post
That's very good news!Just 2 questions:
- How is this offline version going to be updated?
- How much MB does it take? I suppose a lot, being the whole Wikipedia (I suppose the English one)

Thank you for your work! I love opensource !
The English Wikipedia has 10 GB, the German 3 GB (see http://dumpathome.evopedia.info/dumps/finished for other languages). Note that this does not only include the article texts but also tables and stuff. Images, though, are not included.

As far as I know, there is no special update function.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #69
peterx
Connoisseur

evopedia

Ok, here is the first package of evopedia for the Onyx Boox M92 (could by the way also work on other devices). Please tell me if it worked for you.

Installation:

Extract the attached zip to your boox, download one of the archives from http://dumpathome.evopedia.info/dumps/finished (use "small" for testing) and also extract that to your boox. Disconnect the USB cable and run "evopedia.oar" from the zip. This should run the evopedia server and point the browser to http://127.0.0.1:8080. You can ignore and close the wifi dialog. Now hopefully, the evopedia index page should be shown. To add the Wikipedia archive, click on the settings symbol, choose "add archive", navigate to the appropriate directory (usually /media/flash/... or /media/sd/...) and click on "add this" once the archive was detected. You can then go back to the search page and browse Wikipedia :-)

Troubleshooting:

If evopedia does not start, the reason could be that the bzip library is missing (it is included in the zip archive but perhaps at the wrong place). Try copying the bzip files to /usr/lib or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in evopedia.oar.

If someone wants to change anything, please fork my repository on https://github.com/peter-x/evopedia

It could be that I forgot to mention some step (I am especially a bit unsure about the bzip library), so please do not despair if something does not work, it should be my fault ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip evopedia_20120115.zip (631.8 KB, 1164 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #70
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
I am unsatisfied with the scribble application. I would like to modify it, but sadly, it is not free software (or is it?). Is there some similar free scribble application that uses Qt, and thus only minor modifications would be needed?
why not try to port xournal, as done (and working fine) on the Irex Dr's ?

https://bitbucket.org/mackx/xournal-dr/overview
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87593
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #71
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
why not try to port xournal, as done (and working fine) on the Irex Dr's ?

https://bitbucket.org/mackx/xournal-dr/overview
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87593
Ah, thanks, that is a great application. Unfortunately, it is based on GTK and not on Qt, but let's see if we can port it.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #72
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
conversely, I have tried to put your evopedia port on the emulator for the DR and it does not work,
https://www.mobileread.com/forum/show...90#post1925990
any easy solution ?

(thanks for answering in the other thread!)

Last edited by fekhner; 01-16-2012 at 06:08 PM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #73
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Boox i86ML Plus
PDB format

Does anybody know if the Boox M92 reads PDB format? Any firmware or all? I have a file around 30MB and it is just compilation of simple HTML format.

Thank you for your help.
pvdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #74
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
PDB support is lsited in the spec :http://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m92/specifications/

One would probably need to test how it works though.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #75
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I use M92 for about 3 weeks. I like it. It is my 1st e-ink reader, but i know Kindle and Kindle DX, which do not meet my needs. On general I am very satisfied with the reader. I waited for something like it for more than year (since PB 903 was born). I use it for scribling in pdf texts, which works just fine.

I would suggest few improvements:
1) I would like to have a possibility to go directly to home page. For example by pressing Return (or Home) for several seconds.

2) Long press of Home could be used for switching between two tools (for example dictionary and scribling to text). It would be fine if user could configure what should be switched. Or the best would be to invoke a submenu with last cca 5 tools used displayed and user could choose from the list.

3) Calibration of stylus doesn't seem to work. (in firmware 1.6)

4) It would be nice to be able to remove any dictionary. If I know, I will never use Chinese-English dictionary, why to have it placed at 1st possition? It eats up space in selection menu of dictionaries.

5) It would be nice if it would be also possible to export scribbles and text in pdf only for pages, where are scribles. Pages without scribles would be ommited.

6) I like the display mode without margins. It seems to me, it could be fine to user define (the best per document) correction for automaticaly detected margin (top, bottom, left and right) + and - values in mm. Sometimes the text starts right on the edge of display which is readable, but for me a bit unnatural - I would prefer to add few mm of white. Sometimes the white edge is too large, because of unimportant heading or page numbering far away from the text block. In this case I would like to remove it and thus expand the text of interest.

7) In the long run, it would be nice if e-reader could run mapping software. It would be great to have a possibility to see a map and my possition on the map. Coordinates would get into reader from GPS via GPS-BT -> BT-WiFi -> M92 or could go by USB if M92 is able to provide USB Host.

It is only cosmetic issue, but I would change an icon on Home button. It doesn't function as Home, but as Local Menu. Also icon on the task bar should be the same as one on the button.

I know it is a tiny issue, but to my opinion creates lots of confusion for new users and they might thing the reader is defective.....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote