Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Glottis
Enthusiast
Glottis began at the beginning.

Device: H2O, Poke 2
Onyx have the worst customer service

I've contacted them multiple times and had nothing but automated responses.

The last firmware update (or possibly 3.1) completely ruined my Poke 2.

The battery drains intermittently, sometimes lasting the normal amount of time and other times draining almost completely in less than a day. Wi-fi off, Bluetooth off, background apps frozen, etc.

I can't even turn it off fully, as it doesn't get past the boot screen unless I plug it in!

Factory resets don't change anything except add time and annoyance to solving a problem they created.

I've got nothing from this poor excuse for a company. All I want to do is downgrade the firmware back to a working version!

I will never be buying anything from them again and will be telling everyone I know - which admittedly isn't all that many - to stay well clear of this brand.
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They're in China so it's unsurprising, to me at least. If everything is working the way you want then they're ok, otherwise you're hosed. They're just out to make a quick buck as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by hobnail; 11-23-2021 at 08:08 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
I have very similar problem. And people said it can be solved by replacing battery. I ordered replacement battery from Taobao (Mine is Nova) and you should be able to find the replacement battery from Aliexpress.

Also I heard that the battery last longer if you don't use Google Play. I didn't test it myself but I never enable Google Play (still have the shut down problem). It seems to me that the root cause is the stock battery.

Last edited by winstonma; 11-23-2021 at 09:13 PM.
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:55 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottis View Post
I can't even turn it off fully, as it doesn't get past the boot screen unless I plug it in!
Sounds like the battery. Full power reboot usually runs at full speed and takes a lot of power. A battery with high resistance won't be able to do that no matter how high it's charged.

And when you speak of "worst customer service", you do realize that the competition for that title is pretty fierce?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Glottis
Enthusiast
Glottis began at the beginning.

Device: H2O, Poke 2
Ha, I do realise there's a lot of competition. I suppose I should have said, "for me."

I guess I'll hope the next firmware gets released for the poke 2 and keep my fingers crossed it works. If not, I'll have to see about getting the battery replaced
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:01 AM   #6
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Ha, I do realise there's a lot of competition. I suppose I should have said, "for me."

I guess I'll hope the next firmware gets released for the poke 2 and keep my fingers crossed it works. If not, I'll have to see about getting the battery replaced
I bought ebooks from a ebook store and use their Android App to read books. Unfortunately all the offline books are DRM encrypted. Which means when I open an ebook it tooks 30 seconds (and 30 seconds of CPU power) to decrypt the book. It is very likely that the device could reboot during the book opening period.

Somehow I find a way to get the DRM removed and read the book using Neoreader. It only take 2 seconds to open the book. Also my device is less likely to reboot now.

To save some battery from Onyx Boox I should try to obtain the DRM-free book on the device. And use the built-in Neoreader to read the ebook.
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
30 seconds to open a book is criminal. Even 2 seconds is too slow.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
booxnote
booxnote began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Note Air
Please get in touch with our service team. Thank you.

Heya, we are very sorry for the problem that you encountered with your Poke2. Not sure how you got in touch with us. Our service team normally replies to customers within 48 hours during working days after they receive the service request.

But could you please quickly fill in this service form so that our service team can help you when they receive your service request? Here is the service form link https://help.boox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new .

Firmware 3.2 will come to Poke2, but it will be in a month or so. So before that, it is better to get in touch with our service team to solve your problem.

Thanks and regards
BOOX

Quote:

The battery drains intermittently, sometimes lasting the normal amount of time and other times draining almost completely in less than a day. Wi-fi off, Bluetooth off, background apps frozen, etc.

Factory resets don't change anything except add time and annoyance to solving a problem they created.

I've got nothing from this poor excuse for a company. All I want to do is downgrade the firmware back to a working version!

I will never be buying anything from them again and will be telling everyone I know - which admittedly isn't all that many - to stay well clear of this brand.
booxnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
booxnote
booxnote began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Note Air
Hi,there, we have a professional service team to help our customers with any concerns (pre-sale and after-sale). It is just that sometimes the system may play up and our service team does not get the service request. We also have service partners in both EU and US.

If you use BOOX and encounter any problems, please fill in this service form quickly https://help.boox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Our service team is here to help. Thank you for you interest in BOOX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
They're in China so it's unsurprising, to me at least. If everything is working the way you want then they're ok, otherwise you're hosed. They're just out to make a quick buck as far as I'm concerned.
booxnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
kari-star
kari-star began at the beginning.

Device: boox poke2
Quote:

Hey, I also have a Poke2 and noticed the battery is not working as well as it did just a couple of months ago. Your post got me curious so I looked and I think I'm running firmware 3.0 - I haven't updated to 3.1. However I found this page on the Boox website with info about firmware including notes and download for earlier versions. https://downloads.boox.com/download/poke

I did just try some new optimizations but am not super hopeful. I'm pretty bummed about the battery. I've had the Poke2 for just 16 months!
kari-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:48 AM   #11
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur
Onyx Boox is on a distinguished road

Device: Boox Ereader
Hi user, sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact our customer service via https://help.boox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Our colleague responsible for after-sales service will assist you to solve the problem. Thank you for the support.
Onyx Boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #12
Markismus
Guru
Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.Markismus is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
If you use the feedback function within the device and separate your issues, you are likely to get a response. I got an updated firmware within a day!

Their forum seems to be handled by non-technical staff. A lot of people don't find access or actual help using them.

Last edited by Markismus; 11-29-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:30 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
At help@boox.com I have always received a satisfactory answer after a short time
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
I do like the fact that they have a FEEDBACK app in (at least) the Boox Note Air 2. This is alot more than alot of hardware and software has (though more and more Android apps are getting it).

This gives hope that they will "listen" (as they claimed to do in their recent new releases launch video) and improve things over time.

(Though clearly they can't have listened to some things, like: no CUT-and-paste and terribly laborious organising of books)
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonma View Post
I have very similar problem. And people said it can be solved by replacing battery. I ordered replacement battery from Taobao (Mine is Nova) and you should be able to find the replacement battery from Aliexpress.

Also I heard that the battery last longer if you don't use Google Play. I didn't test it myself but I never enable Google Play (still have the shut down problem). It seems to me that the root cause is the stock battery.
Yeah, I changed a battery. It fixed the Onyx. Also I never use googleplay. Deactivated.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote