Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Prepare for the onslaught!

Win 7 Tablets on the way!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/we...mpact+news_rss

I'm a Windows 7 fan, but the last thing I want is a bloated full OS (and that includes OSX) on something like the iPad. Owning the iPad has taught me the "old school' ideas of what I "need" are outdated... but I know many want this kind of thing. Between the lot of them (Dell, Toshiba, HP, Sony.....) I would hope at least one could be a bit inovative.....

I hope they do well.... the more competition the better for all

And yes, you can read on them
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
microsoft's only been trying tablets for the past decade or so.. i'm sure they'll get it right this time. after all, now they have apple to copy off of!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
microsoft's only been trying tablets for the past decade or so.. i'm sure they'll get it right this time. after all, now they have apple to copy off of!
lol, and it is hard to argue with you on that..... I remember when Sony was the consumer tech leader.... I still think if they really got their act together, Sony could come out with a Tablet (or whatever a creative mind could come up with) that would really rival the iPad. It would need ether an improved version of WinMo or Android, but they could do it....
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
personally i think if any OS is going to challenge the ipad for tablet domination it's going to be android. windows 7, while a vast improvement over previous versions, just has too much baggage and is too resource hungry. no one is going to build a tablet as thin, light, and with the battery life as an ipad running windows 7 desktop. android, sure. windows 7 mobile is a definite possibility though.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Look for battery technology to improve and the tablet version of Windows 7 should be well scaled down but still give the look and feel of it.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
Look for battery technology to improve and the tablet version of Windows 7 should be well scaled down but still give the look and feel of it.

I agree and hope for battery life improvement. The iPad battery life is amazing, but I always want more even for it.

One of the things about folks that want a Win 7/OSX tablet in a iPad like form factor is the list of needed "features" they also demand. There is no way at this present time you can slap on a camera or two, two plus USB ports, card readers, removable battery....etc... and keep the thinness and overall sleekness of an iPad. The weight they could keep down by using plastic instead of metal, but all those goodies take space, and battery life....
Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I think the HP Slate w/ Windows 7 was cancelled: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hew...ablet-project/

I would like to see an iPad form-factored tablet (so no keyboard or other added bulk... just a screen) with a full blown os, but not running Windows. I think the mass market would still prefer the simplicity of a mobile os, but techies like me would love an iPad-like device running Linux
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
It reads a lot like the WinCE announcement from a couple decades go. Then Psion had a series of clam shell PDAs the series 3, 3A, 5 and the 5MX. I still have a working 5MX in a drawer. They had a small office suite of software and about 8 hours of battery life on 2 AAbatteries. The first WinCE specs were not as good as the Psion 5MX. CE2 had the same specs as the 5 mx but added color that Psion never went to but at the cost of battery power. A dozen or so manufacturers came out with their version of a WinCE clamshell and PDA type device but none lasted. I had several but the battery kept me returning to the Psion.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
mknopp
mknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enough

By the time the Win7 tablets come to market the onslaught will have already occurred. Look at the list of Android based tablets that are ready to release, and HP has been pushing hard on their WebOS based tablets.
mknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
I think the HP Slate w/ Windows 7 was cancelled: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hew...ablet-project/

I would like to see an iPad form-factored tablet (so no keyboard or other added bulk... just a screen) with a full blown os, but not running Windows. I think the mass market would still prefer the simplicity of a mobile os, but techies like me would love an iPad-like device running Linux
I would wager it will be pretty easy to replace Android/Windows tablets with Linux. I am not a Linux fan, (tried it and IMHO it is useless) but in a tablet I would prefer it to Windows. Android/WebOS/iOS are in my opinion the REAL mainstream tablet choices..... but a Linux techie will soon have their wish with all the tablets coming out
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One man's bloated is another man's fully functional.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
AFAIK that has always been just a rumor without any official statements. I think it was just put on ice. HP’s assimilation of Palm and it’s efforts in WebOS would suggest the end of the (Windows-based) HP Slate, but maybe Microsoft went rampage and demanded it's continuation. Let's not forget that Ballmer showcased the HP Slate personally at the CES 2010, so a discontinuation would be pretty embarrassing for Microsoft.

Regarding Android and Windows tablet manufacturers: good luck!
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
lilman said:
>I would like to see an iPad form-factored tablet (so no keyboard or other added bulk...
>just a screen) with a full blown os, but not running Windows. I think the mass market
>would still prefer the simplicity of a mobile os, but techies like me would love an
>iPad-like device running Linux

Get an Axiotron ModBook:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home

(runs Mac OS X, installing Linux should be trivial)

or Motion Computing J3500:

http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...let_pc_J35.asp

(runs Windows 7, but Linux install docs exist for older models: http://tuxmobil.org/motioncomputing.html )

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Yeah, gotta love that 3 1/2 pound Motion tablet .... and people complain that the 1 1/2 pound iPad is too heavy
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
FYI, the ModBook only supports Wacom pens and not finger navigation.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote