Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
FBReader - Archos 5 Android

I just got a new Archos 5 Android tablet. I've installed FBreaderJ 0.5.27.

But I cannot get FBReader to to see my epub books.

I've tried putting them on an SDCard in the /Books directory.
I've tried putting them on /storage/Books.
I've tried /Books.

Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
I just got a new Archos 5 Android tablet. I've installed FBreaderJ 0.5.27.

But I cannot get FBReader to to see my epub books.

I've tried putting them on an SDCard in the /Books directory.
I've tried putting them on /storage/Books.
I've tried /Books.

Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
Use FBReader to download an epub book from the net and then see where on your machine it placed the file.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ah, you have an archos 5 ? What do you think of it so far ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Use FBReader to download an epub book from the net and then see where on your machine it placed the file.
Ya, I tried that. It doesn't seem to place them in the area of the firmware that I have access to.

I'll try again. Maybe I missed something last time.

Now I remember. There is no way to "download" an epub through FBReader. According to FBReader, you use the built-in browser, which won't download epubs because they are not supported.

Last edited by rlauzon; 11-05-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Serves me right for reading/replying via my Archos.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Ah, you have an archos 5 ? What do you think of it so far ?
It's OK. Archos is trying to walk the line between their proprietary, locked down media system and the open Android system. There are some... strange... interactions between them sometimes.

As a media tablet, it works nice. As an Android tablet, it leaves much to be desired. All that may change, though, as the finish polishing the OS for it.

Unlike Bookeen, they Archos brings out firmware updates fairly quickly (until they come out with a new version of the device, of course).
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Unlike Bookeen, they Archos brings out firmware updates fairly quickly (until they come out with a new version of the device, of course).
Yeah, but it seams it was also way more buggy than bookeen's And actually unfinished, unlike bookeen's fireware.

I almost bought one today, but none was left. (That happened to be lucky, as a i want a sdd version, and the 160G is hdd). So i'm waiting for the 65G version.

Quote:
As an Android tablet, it leaves much to be desired.
Problems like no Android market, and the screen size quite un-standard for android ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
"Cannot download. The content type is not supported on the device."
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Not sure how he got it working...but I like it. A lot. Trying not to lust. Seriously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmGNnKq0_g
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah, but it seams it was also way more buggy than bookeen's And actually unfinished, unlike bookeen's fireware.

I almost bought one today, but none was left. (That happened to be lucky, as a i want a sdd version, and the 160G is hdd). So i'm waiting for the 65G version.

Problems like no Android market, and the screen size quite un-standard for android ?
Ya, it's definitely more buggy. But that's the strangeness between running both ArchOS and Android. I would have preferred a pure Android device that did a little media playing.

There are some issues in that apps don't work well with the screen, but that's something that Android apps need to deal with sooner or later. Not all Android devices are doing to be tiny phones.

But unless you're willing to deal with the issues right now, I would suggest that you wait a bit until they get (at least most of) the issues ironed out.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
Not sure how he got it working...but I like it. A lot. Trying not to lust. Seriously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmGNnKq0_g
Interesting. He downloaded the book from Project Gutenberg and it worked.

So I did that and it worked. Well, it didn't error, the book still doesn't show up in FBReader, though.

My previous test was through MobileRead. That wouldn't download.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Have you tried Aldiko yet?

http://www.aldiko.com/

Honestly, I don't have any android devices, so I'm not sure how works.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:

Only a little bit. It looks very nice. Now that I have figured out what my epub/Android issue is, I can actually start using it.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
rlauzon
Wizard

The file manager on the Archos does a Microsoft and doesn't display the file's extension in the list. Only when you rename the file doesn't it show you the whole file name.

I copied over what I thought were the .epub files from my Opus. What I actually copied over were the .epub.dat files. Which, of course, show up in the file list as .epub (since the .dat part is hidden).

So that's why the import didn't work. There really weren't any epub books in the directory. Once I copied over the actual eBooks, the import went fine for Aldiko. I haven't done FBReader yet. The one file that I did for FBReader didn't show up.

Since what I wanted to do was test out eBook reading on the Archos 5 Android, having Aldiko working will satisfy my needs.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:

I've been giving Aldkio a try. So far, it works nice. Just make sure you get the 1.1.6 version - and not the 1.2.2 version - if you have the Archos., though.

The 1.2.2 version chops off the last line or 2 of every page. The 1.1.6 version was made for the Archos and it doesn't have that problem.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
I've been giving Aldkio a try. So far, it works nice. Just make sure you get the 1.1.6 version - and not the 1.2.2 version - if you have the Archos., though.

The 1.2.2 version chops off the last line or 2 of every page. The 1.1.6 version was made for the Archos and it doesn't have that problem.
Do you have the hard drive Archos (without SD slot). I installed FBreader and Aldiko and I can't install any books. Calibre doesn't recognize the dievice either. Any help you can give me would be great.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote