Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Berengaria
Berengaria began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyager
Talking Book sniffing somewhere in Bucks......

Greetings and hello from Buckinghamshire, UK.
I have a Kindle Voyager which I absolutely love and I also use the Kindle app on my IPhone but, as stated, I do sniff books. Nothing beats the smell of an old book, it's beautiful.
I love being able to finish a book at 3am some nights and get the next book, if there is one, within minutes. An utter revelation and pure genius if you ask me! I also love finding websites that offer ebooks for free or on offer.
The classics are free which is wonderful, I fall in love with my Kindle more everyday.
Can anyone tell me who invented the ereader?
Links to discounted ebooks are most welcome.
I enjoy reading history, fact and fiction and mostly Medieval. Some fantasy, horror, true crime, biographies and similar.
I like being recommended new books and authors, especially something I would normally never read.
That's it for now, this is getting a tad long!
I hope to speak with some of you soon. X
Berengaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi.
Not sure who invented the ereader.
Now for the good news.
You might be interested in the Kindle forum.
We also have the deals forum for ebooks on sale or free.
Then there is the reading recommendation forum.
Also several others that might or might not interest you.
My favorites are Kindle, Kobo, Deals, Recommendation and the lounge.
Look around, enjoy.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Oh and would you prefer to sniff craft books, reading books or cookbooks?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to Mobileread!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengaria View Post
Can anyone tell me who invented the ereader?
It's hard to say since the ereader wasn't a clear cut new invention. Instead, is was a small evolutionary step up (sideways??) from a range of earlier devices.

It can be said that the ebook was invented by Michael Hart, the founder of Project Gutenberg, in 1971. Ebooks were read on whatever device you had, initially on dumb terminals connected to a mainframe server and later on personal computers with large storage attached, typically CDs. When the electronic PIMs (Personal Information Managers) appeared, devices like the Apple Newton and the successful PalmPilot series among others, that quickly gain software to read ebooks. Companies appeared to market ebooks and they generally developed their own reader software for various PIM devices.

It was a small step for Sony and Amazon to develop stripped down PIMs that only had reader software installed and were not open for the installation of other software. This was the beginning of the dedicated ereader. I think Sony was the first, but I'm not sure.

Today, ereaders continue to be popular, but PIMs in the form of tablets (read: large superPIMs) and smartphones (read: smaller superPIMs with embedded cell phones) still remain popular portable reading devices as well.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote