Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
EdStout
EdStout began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, iPad
Question How to: transfer FROM iBooks TO Calibre?

I know how to go the other way 'round (just drag), but how do I transfer an Apple-purchased book (for example) from iBooks to Calibre? I like to use Calibre as my central repository for all my eBooks, and I use it as a bridge to GoodReads, which I use as my central repository for all my books (e- and otherwise).

iBooks seems to ignore outbound drags to Calibre. And I haven't had any luck dragging the source .epub folder/book from the iBooks/Books folder to Calibre, or adding it directly from there (probably because it's a folder and not a file?).

Any ideas, folks?
Ed
EdStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Give up and don't buy ebooks from Apple ever again?

You seem to have hit on the problem.

Apple doesn't like letting anyone else get their hands on the content they sell. It's by far the most locked down ecosystem in every respect.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdStout View Post
I know how to go the other way 'round (just drag), but how do I transfer an Apple-purchased book (for example) from iBooks to Calibre? I like to use Calibre as my central repository for all my eBooks, and I use it as a bridge to GoodReads, which I use as my central repository for all my books (e- and otherwise).

iBooks seems to ignore outbound drags to Calibre. And I haven't had any luck dragging the source .epub folder/book from the iBooks/Books folder to Calibre, or adding it directly from there (probably because it's a folder and not a file?).

Any ideas, folks?
Ed
Unfortunately this is not currently possible. Apple provides no way to directly address the books on an iDevice, and the current calibre facility to transfer books via iTunes is one-way (to the iPad device).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lord Alfred Tennyson put it this way - Come into the garden Maud

If only one could... write a poem like that.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
EdStout

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Unfortunately this is not currently possible. Apple provides no way to directly address the books on an iDevice, and the current calibre facility to transfer books via iTunes is one-way (to the iPad device).
Yeah, I guess you're right. Luckily, I only have a small number of books purchased from Apple. I'll just have to get another copy of those by other means, so I can keep my Calibre/GoodReads obsessions happy.

Thanks,
Ed
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Several years ago, I found a program that would allow you to open your device backups made by iTunes and copy items out of it, including ebooks. You might look around and see if such a thing is still around. I think the one I used was called iPhone Backup Extractor. I've pretty much moved to the Android OS since, so I can't say if it is still available.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
EdStout

I think I found a (partial) solution!

If you drag a book from the iBooks window to a folder in the Finder, it creates a properly named .epub file there, which you can then drag directly to Calibre!

For DRM-free books, that's all that's required. DRM'ed ebooks are still beyond me, at the moment, but at least both kinds will show up in Calibre! And I can use the GoodReads plug-in to track the books on GoodReads as well!

Hope that helps someone else.
Ed
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Tisha4870
Tisha4870 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5S, iPad Air
I used an extractor (possibly the Backup Extractor, but not sure) to get the books off my 4s but I couldn't access any of the DRM'ed books. At the time I had a Dell tablet and found it ridiculous the amount of money I paid for all the books through Apple and I didn't really have access to them outside of my phone.
Tisha4870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdStout View Post
I think I found a (partial) solution!

If you drag a book from the iBooks window to a folder in the Finder, it creates a properly named .epub file there, which you can then drag directly to Calibre!

For DRM-free books, that's all that's required. DRM'ed ebooks are still beyond me, at the moment, but at least both kinds will show up in Calibre! And I can use the GoodReads plug-in to track the books on GoodReads as well!

Hope that helps someone else.
Ed
Whats a folder in a finder?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Finder is the name of the file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer) in Macs. Anyway, there's no iBooks for Windows and Apple removed books support from iTunes a while back.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ibooks, transfer