Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Aura vs. Glo battery life

Well,
I want to buy one of those, but I can't decide which one.
I do like the looks of Aura more, but, that's not important.
Nether is the capacitive or multi-touch screen.
So with the price difference in my country (175€ to 148€) and the slight sharper fonts, I'm thinking about buying the Glo.

The only thing that's stopping me is the battery.
I remember reading somewhere that Aura had 1500mAh vs. the 1000mAh battery of the Glo.
That and the, almost, no refresh new screen system makes me wonder…
Does anybody know the battery consumption of ether of those devices to percent per hour?
Par example, my mobile takes 7% of battery for every reading hour.
I've read the Kobo estimates, but I would like real world numbers…

Thank you in advance.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that the Glo uses the flash between screen turns, that will use more battery. The Aura will use less battery when it doesn't have to always flash to change the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
You can set the screen refresh rate on the Glo, so if you are concerned about battery life, you could find a balance between ghosting and refresh that works for you. I have it set to refresh every 6 pages and hardly notice ghosting. My battery life is about 2 weeks with reading 5-6 hours per day and wireless off.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
Well,
I want to buy one of those, but I can't decide which one.
I do like the looks of Aura more, but, that's not important.
Nether is the capacitive or multi-touch screen.
So with the price difference in my country (175€ to 148€) and the slight sharper fonts, I'm thinking about buying the Glo.
I assume you are talking the Aura HD (as opposed to the new 6" Aura -- sidenote: curse all these companies that are reusing names for different devices )? The new 6" Aura does have capacitive touch (and multi-touch maybe?). The "older" Aura HD doesn't but does have sharper fonts/higher res (vs the new Aura and the Glo).
With any of them battery life will be hugely longer than a phone/tablet. Yes the extra flashes will take a little more battery, but it's not a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Realistically there seem to be at least a number of people with the Aura or the new Paperwhite who are still using every page refresh due to low tolerance for ghosting even though the should both go for extended periods without refreshing so YMMV.
For what it's worth I use my Aura HD with light always on, download 2 newspapers per day (over wifi) and fair bit of reading and I get 8-12 days from a charge on average.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I assume you are talking the Aura HD (as opposed to the new 6" Aura -- sidenote: curse all these companies that are reusing names for different devices )? The new 6" Aura does have capacitive touch (and multi-touch maybe?). The "older" Aura HD doesn't but does have sharper fonts/higher res (vs the new Aura and the Glo) .
Not actually.
I was talking about the Aura vs. the Glo.
Glo looks a little sharper here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=309

Quote:
For what it's worth I use my Aura HD with light always on, download 2 newspapers per day (over wifi) and fair bit of reading and I get 8-12 days from a charge on average.
I can not compare that info. I wanted something more measurable, like 2% per hour or whatever…

Thanks anyway )
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
embryo I'm afraid you're unlikely to get anything useful out of that sort of data. The battery monitors on such devices simply aren't precise enough.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I can not compare that info. I wanted something more measurable, like 2% per hour or whatever…

Thanks anyway )
The battery use is going to depend on a lot of factors. Do you always read with the light on? Do you keep WiFi on? If so, do you have the WiFi no doze mod in place? How often do you triple-flash the screen to remove ghosting? Some people do this every page turn, others have set much higher values. How fast do you read? Someone who reads faster and does more page turns is going to use more power per hour than someone who reads at a slower rate.

So the best information we can give you is that it is not a question with a single simple answer.

I can say that on my Aura HD, I recharge every 14 days or so. The reading stats since my last factory reset say I've read 25 books in 18 hours. When I was using a Glo, I recharged slightly more often.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks anyway )
As DNSB and other have said, since actual usage patterns have a huge influence on battery use with e-ink it's not really possible to give you that information. With a phone since the majority of the power in reading a book is likely involved in keeping the screen lit (rather than changing what's on it) it's pretty easy to compare (not so much if you're doing something that's going to take heavy CPU usage, but reading a book shouldn't take a lot of CPU power). With e-ink, the device is primarily using power when it refreshes the page. So if you read at 1 page per minute, your hourly power usage will be significantly different mine if I read 2 pages per minute (twice as many page refreshes). That's why no one is jumping in with info in the form you're looking for. There have been a number of discussions on this board for how to measure battery life and no one has yet come up with an accepted standard.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
As DNSB and other have said, since actual usage patterns have a huge influence on battery use with e-ink it's not really possible to give you that information. With a phone since the majority of the power in reading a book is likely involved in keeping the screen lit (rather than changing what's on it) it's pretty easy to compare (not so much if you're doing something that's going to take heavy CPU usage, but reading a book shouldn't take a lot of CPU power). With e-ink, the device is primarily using power when it refreshes the page. So if you read at 1 page per minute, your hourly power usage will be significantly different mine if I read 2 pages per minute (twice as many page refreshes). That's why no one is jumping in with info in the form you're looking for. There have been a number of discussions on this board for how to measure battery life and no one has yet come up with an accepted standard.
I was not looking for a standard.
More of something like a hint …
I know there are many factors, but I was hoping for some observations.
Sometimes things work like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOucwX7Z1HU
Everybody can chip in ...
Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
There have been a number of discussions on this board for how to measure battery life and no one has yet come up with an accepted standard.
In the dim distances of the past on the original Kobo/Kobo WiFi, there was quite a bit of discussion about counting the page turns from full charge to no charge. Even with a couple of people who just sat and hit the d-pad to turn pages, there was a wide variance in the number of page turns it took to kill the battery. I remember a poll on the number of page turns per charge in this forum around the time I joined this forum.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think Kobo claims that the Aura battery lasts twice as long as the Glo battery. At least, that's what I gathered from looking at the Japanese Rakuten page.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
A couple of us have done battery tests with the Glo, around 10% lighting, WiFi off, and gotten around 45-50 hours of reading over an approximate 21 day period... I realize there is some variance based on reading speed, font size, etc., but it's probably not a huge factor in that e-ink far exceeds the performance one might hope for with backlit LCD technology.

I did my test to provide a baseline when others were having battery issues that seemed to end up being due to problems with something(a sleep cover's inner pocket) causing a touch event to be registered just prior to entering sleep mode.

I'm interested that there is such concern regarding exact battery life when it's pretty obvious the battery life on even front lit e-ink will far exceed a backlit LCD based device by typically a factor of 5-10 times or more for most comparisons? Sometimes we get a little hung up on exact data, where the approximate magnitude of the trend is probably more than enough to indicate a course of action. Just another way of looking at it. That said, I wanted to know how many hours when I did my test...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
As far as sharper fonts I don't think you can really tell from a picture. Between us, we have two Aura HDs, two Kobo Glos, and an Aura. The fonts on the Auras are much sharper than the Glos. I like my Glo, but I rarely use it because I prefer the screen on the Auras...the new smaller Aura is my favorite reader ever---we have every Kindle since the K3, including the new PW2, and Nook Simple Touch and Nook Glow. The Nook Glow is hands down the worst if the lighted readers. I never use it. After a short period of reading the text gets ragged and the lighting is very uneven.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
kingjain
Enthusiast
kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yesterday I reported on the Aura impressions thread that everything had been going great with my new device so far. Then something very strange happened...

I've had the Aura for around two weeks now. At 17 hours of usage (wi-fi on, light on at 1-11% probably half the time) the battery was at 50% (yesterday morning). Within approximately 1 hour of reading from then on (no change in usage) the battery went down from 50% to around 25%. Then 30 minutes later it was at 10% and auto shut-off saying i must charge it.

This is on it's first charge by the way. 17 hours to 50% then 1.5 hours to death. Strange indeed... I charged it up again, let's see what happens the second time around....
kingjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
robko
Wizard

Sometimes it can take a couple of cycles for the battery to calibrate so that could be part of the issue. I wouldn't worry yet.