Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #181
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
It's a known issue. Everything I can find suggests that the only proper fix is including copyrighted Kobo files, which can't be done.
interesting - they seem to be working perfectly fine on my Mini.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #182
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Lucky you I haven't had a single book yet properly remember its place on my Glo when bookmarking or highlighting or annotating.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #183
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Lucky you I haven't had a single book yet properly remember its place on my Glo when bookmarking or highlighting or annotating.
I do not use bookmarks, but do use annotations and highlights a lot: perhaps the bug is device dependent? Could the fact that the mini has no SD card play a role?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #184
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would doubt that, all my books are on the main memory and it doesn't matter if I have a card in the micro-SD slot or not. It's possible that it's device-dependent, I believe the firmwares are slightly different (but I wouldn't think they'd be that different). I'd rather think that it's book-dependent, if the device can properly determine the right position to mark then it'll work fine.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #185
comercializado
comercializado began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96CML
Hi jgoguen. First of all thank you for your work. I use the plug-in and I'm very happy with it. But I have a problem, I am trying to install the Hyphenation utility in the plugin, but I'm doing something bad because does not work. The dictionary I use is Spanish. I have the following files: hyph_es_ANY.es; es_ES.es; , what can I do with each of them? moreover the ISO code: hyph_es_ANY.es, is ISO8859. should I change it? I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you
comercializado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #186
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
I just tested the latest kepub.epub plugin with interesting results.
Highlighting works on some files,and doesn't on others, and I've found one where it works on some chapters but does not work on others (or maybe it's not chapter related but some parts of the text can be annotated, others not.)
I've put the kobo.js in a book and referenced it in the htmls, and the highlighting bug healed.
But the hyphenation messes things up.
Every paragraph which has hyphenated word in it aligned to left, regardless of the kobo settings or the css style. And the hyphenation occurs way too "early".
Highlighting in those paragraphs works strange: the selection have an "offset", it seems to work on the justified text, even if it's shown as left-aligned. After the highlight made, the row appears justified.
I've attached some pictures to show this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untouched.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	104344   Click image for larger version

Name:	selected.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	104345   Click image for larger version

Name:	highlited.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	104346  
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #187
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by comercializado View Post
Hi jgoguen. First of all thank you for your work. I use the plug-in and I'm very happy with it. But I have a problem, I am trying to install the Hyphenation utility in the plugin, but I'm doing something bad because does not work. The dictionary I use is Spanish. I have the following files: hyph_es_ANY.es; es_ES.es; , what can I do with each of them? moreover the ISO code: hyph_es_ANY.es, is ISO8859. should I change it? I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you
Have you read the directions in the README file? Is there some part of it that is not clear and can be improved?
https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-k...er#hyphenation

I don't believe the file encoding code should be changed. If you followed the README directions, you have the official LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org hyphenation dictionary and you should ask a maintainer of those projects whether they set the correct file encoding code if you feel it should be different.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #188
comercializado
comercializado began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96CML
Quote:
Have you read the directions in the README file? Is there some part of it that is not clear and can be improved?
https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-k...er#hyphenation

I don't believe the file encoding code should be changed. If you followed the README directions, you have the official LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org hyphenation dictionary and you should ask a maintainer of those projects whether they set the correct file encoding code if you feel it should be different.
This plugin includes the Ability to add soft hyphens to converted ePubs. Soft hyphens are just like normal except hyphens soft hyphens are That Where They Occur visible only as the last character of a line, giving you the nice hyphenation expected of professional books. Enabling hyphenation Requires a little work:
1.Download the LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) hyphenation dictionary for your language will be to file 1.This With The 'oxt' extension. This is just a ZIP file with a different name.

2.Unzip the OXT file and look for the file named as hyph_ [language]. Dic.
3.Copy the hyphenation dictionary to the configuration directory KoboTouchExtended 1.To find the configuration directory, open caliber's preferences, choose Miscellaneous, and click Open caliber configuration directory
2.Go to the plugins directory
KoboTouchExtended 3.Go to the directory, creating it if it does not exist.

4.Copy the hyphenation dictionary as hyph.dic hyphenation dictionary for the default if no other can be found

** If you mean the dictionary: es_ES.es; hyph.dic should rename it and where I install it?
Extra 5.Enable languages ​​by copying the hyphenation hyphenation dictionaries as hyph_ [lang]. Dic, where [lang] is the three-letter ISO 639 language code

** If in this case refers to hyph_es_ANY.es, that changed in this extension?
comercializado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #189
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
I just tested the latest kepub.epub plugin with interesting results.
Highlighting works on some files,and doesn't on others, and I've found one where it works on some chapters but does not work on others (or maybe it's not chapter related but some parts of the text can be annotated, others not.)
I've put the kobo.js in a book and referenced it in the htmls, and the highlighting bug healed.
But the hyphenation messes things up.
Every paragraph which has hyphenated word in it aligned to left, regardless of the kobo settings or the css style. And the hyphenation occurs way too "early".
Highlighting in those paragraphs works strange: the selection have an "offset", it seems to work on the justified text, even if it's shown as left-aligned. After the highlight made, the row appears justified.
I've attached some pictures to show this.
As I've mentioned many times before, I can't include kobo.js or kobo.css, both of which are needed for many things (highlighting, annotations, bookmarks...) to work properly, because they are copyrighted non-distributable files. What you say about highlighting is unsurprising, but I don't know about the display justification issue. Since it resolved itself when you added the Kobo CSS and JS, I suspect it's another item to add to the list of things that may or may not work well or at all.

I can't fix these things unless Kobo suddenly decides to allow third-party distribution of their CSS and JS files. Considering how specific the device support is for my plugin, I couldn't even justify adding an option to include "arbitrary" CSS and JS. calibre itself already let's you add CSS rules (but not a file) and the only JS that would be worth including is the Kobo JS.

Also keep in mind that this plugin is enabling access to an internal renderer that is only intended to work with Kobo-supplied kepub files. Kobo has explicitly stated (on these forums, maybe even this very thread but I don't have the link right now) that they recommend not using the kepub renderer with side-loaded books. The renderer is likely coded to use features known to be present in Kobo kepub files, with sensible defaults. The hyphenation feature actually adds the Unicode soft hyphen character, which is not shown unless it's at the end if a line, so I suspect that these extra characters confuse the renderer in the absence of the expected JS functions and cause problems with highlighting and selecting being offset.

EDIT: I found the post, #7 in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=7

Last edited by jgoguen; 04-14-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #190
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
** If you mean the dictionary: es_ES.es; hyph.dic should rename it and where I install it?
Quote:
  1. Copy the hyphenation dictionary to the KoboTouchExtended configuration directory
    1. To find the configuration directory, open calibre's preferences, choose Miscellaneous, and click Open calibre configuration directory
    2. Go to the plugins directory
    3. Go to the KoboTouchExtended directory, creating it if it does not exist.
So, what is the path to your calibre configuration directory? Did you go into the plugins directory? Did you see a directory named KoboTouchExtended? If not, did you create it?

Quote:
** If in this case refers to hyph_es_ANY.es, that changed in this extension?
Quote:
  1. Unzip the OXT file and look for the file named as hyph_[language].dic.
  2. ...
  3. Copy the hyphenation dictionary as hyph.dic to use this as the default hyphenation dictionary if no language-specific dictionary can be found
    1. This is also a good choice if you only read in one language. You may still enable other languages if required using the directions in the next step.
  4. Enable extra hyphenation languages by copying the hyphenation dictionaries as hyph_[lang].dic, where [lang] is the ISO 639 3-letter language code (ISO 639-3, or ISO 639-2/T if no ISO 639-3 code exists)
Perhaps those last two items are not clear?

In the KoboTouchExtended plugin configuration directory, do you have a file named hyph.dic? This is the default hyphenation dictionary, used if the plugin cannot find any other language-specific dictionary. If you only read in Spanish, you may choose to use this name for your Spanish hyphenation dictionary. If you read in multiple languages, you may choose instead to have all hyphenation dictionaries named with their ISO 639 3-letter language code (hyph_eng.dic, hyph_fra,dic, hyph_gle.dic) of you may choose to have your primary language named hyph.dic and other languages named with their ISO 639 3-letter language code. The way the plugin finds the hyphenation dictionary is:
  1. Get the ISO 639 3-letter language codes from calibre's metadata
  2. For each language code found ("$LANG"):
    1. If hyph_$LANG.dic exists then use it and stop looking
  3. If a file has not been found yet, and the file hyph.dic exists, use this file
  4. If no file was found, do not hyphenate

So you unpacked the OXT file and you found hyph_es_ANY.es? Based on the directions above, you know that this cannot be the right name to use with the KoboTouchExtended plugin because the extension is not .dic and es_ANY is not a valid ISO 639 3-letter language code. So you know that you need to rename it - what do you think you should rename it to and what is the full path to the directory where you should put it?

EDIT: I've updated the README file to be (hopefully) a bit more clear about the naming of the hyphenation dictionary and what language code to use. The directions above have been updated to reflect the new version of the README in the hopes that it helps you find the answers.

Last edited by jgoguen; 04-14-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #191
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Sorry jgoguen, I didn't make myself clear: I'm not complaining, I'm really grateful for your work, even if it's not perfect and can't be perfect because of copyright issues, and because of the lack of information how the kobo-renderer works. I just wanted to say that the highlight-not-working issue solved for me when I put the js in the book. I know it violates some rights, and I don't ask you to do anything with it.

The "hyphenated paragraphs appears left-aligned" happens in books with no javascript in it, so it's not caused by the js. I understood that the plugin just inserts soft hyphens, but I thought it's worth mentioning, it does not work properly on some books (actually all the books I tried). Maybe it's something about the css files (I didn't use the kobo's), I don't know, but it makes this feature unusable to me. (I tried to replace the unicode soft hyphens to html-code (& #173 ; ), it just gotten worse: the paragraphs contain hyphenated words simply did not appear.)

And I found it interesting that these two things (highlighting and aligning/justification) are not completely unrelated.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #192
clsdclsd
Zealot

Here is another thing.
The readme file says that the files are processed during upload and the original files remain untouched, but I just realized that the "koboSpan" tags are saved in my epub files on my PC calibre library too.
I can't reproduce it (tried to upload another book, and the modified file didn't save back), so it's not a bug but a kind of "user error", I just wondering what went wrong before...
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #193
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

I really say everything about the renderer and copyright issues because a) I don't know how much you know about the details, and b) I don't know how much anyone else reading this knows about the details.

I'm not sure how the book in your library got updated, I have no code to do that and as far as I know I actually can't find the original book location without querying calibre's SQLite database. I had talked about doing it at one time, but Kovid (maybe davidfor?) pointed out that doing so would cause problems if anyone ever used a non-Kobo reader and uploaded the epubs. If you upload a book with my plugin and then save it to your library, I believe that would put the modified book into your library, not sure how else it could have happened. Maybe you added a book that had already been modified.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #194
friedmandu
friedmandu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi clsdclsd, I'd like to try what you did to solve the highlighting issue, i.e., where you said,
"I've put the kobo.js in a book and referenced it in the htmls, and the highlighting bug healed."
Could you help me a little with the procedure?
1) Do I merely take the kobo.js from another book and stick it into the book I'd like to enable for highlighting?
2) If I take the kobo.js from another book, there will be a lot of script already in the file (which to me is mostly gibberish). Is there any likelihood I can just apply that script to the target book as well?
3) And finally, how do I "reference it in the htmls"?
I hope this is not too difficult too explain. Thanks.
friedmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #195
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

clsdclsd, depending on the laws of your country you may not be able to assist. Canadians can't, I believe Americans cannot either.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo