Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
LisaWA
LisaWA began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help please - Kobo Vox vs Touch

Hi

Today I bought the Vox, dont think I did enough research before I bought it, concerned about such a short battery life.

Considering taking it back and getting the Touch instead.

Any advise.

Thanks
Lisa
LisaWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Vox seems to get almost universally slated. I'd avoid it like the plague. Any reason why you're only considering Kobo devices?

You really need to decide whether you want a dedicated eInk reader, or a general-purpose LCD tablet. They are completely different beasts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You really need to decide whether you want a dedicated eInk reader, or a general-purpose LCD tablet. They are completely different beasts.
What Harry said. If your primary purpose is reading I would definitely go with the Touch. For PDF's the Touch isn't a great option though. E-ink and no backlight makes for much better battery life and easier on the eyes. I've never played with the Vox but if you're after a tablet realize that the Vox is very much tablet light and not a fully functional tablet.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
as above it depends what you want rom the device

different to the above I have the Vox, the battery is not the best as it is more a tablet, but if you want to run additional apps, put other readers on it so you can easily get books from other places then it is great, no complaints here.

the Vox is a fully functioning tablet, the only downside is it doesn't (yet) have access to the google store, but you can get apps from plenty of other places
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I have both, and I love both. That being said, if I could only have one it would definitely be the Touch, I use it WAY MORE than the Vox. Hope that helps.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
LisaWA

Thanks unfortunately I bought it from Harvey Norman, and they don't stock Kindle or Sony, they wont give full refund so I will have to exchange and they have a pretty poor selection.

Thanks alot, I will swap with the Touch, I have a laptop and work on PC's all day so having a tablet was not really necessary I really just want an ereader.

I really should have done more research before hand.

Hopefully they are nice enough to swap it I only bought it yesterday.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
LisaWA

Swapped it for the Touch and much happier, it feels much better on my eyes too