Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
DESKTOP software - internet error

Today when I start up or sync with the desktop software (ver 2.11) I get an error message that says:

The spelling mistake is theirs - not mine.

Anyone else having trouble?
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
I have just got the same message. The Kobo server must be having a hiccup.

ETA: The problem seems to be cleared up now.

Last edited by Joe563; 09-19-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Update
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

No joy for me yet, but at least I know it's not just me.

I'll have to be patient.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Today when I start up or sync with the desktop software (ver 2.11) I get an error message that says:

The spelling mistake is theirs - not mine.

Anyone else having trouble?
That error should only be presented if the desktop is having issues connecting to the service. It was likely a temporary issue as we can't reproduce the issue.

Thanks for pointing the typo out. The engineers responsible have been taught how to spell.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
ltr
Addict

Quote:
That error should only be presented if the desktop is having issues connecting to the service. It was likely a temporary issue as we can't reproduce the issue.
I don't know what to say other than my internet works fine as it always has, and the DESKTOP software has worked fine forever until today.

I still have the fault.

ltr
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Irunsjh
Irunsjh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I am also having the issue. I have never had the issue in the past, and it is now happening again. I have purchased a new book, and would like to get it on my reader to read it.
Irunsjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well... same here When I use dbgview I see

[8180] WebResponseInflater::webRequestFinished FAILED 203 "Error downloading http://mobile.kobobooks.com/56968.56...leRequest.ashx - server replied: Not Found"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Thanks to everyone who provided additional info via PMs. Please PM me for a workaround if you are still experiencing the problem. Though we expect the issue to only effect a very very small subset of users we'll be providing an official fix in the next desktop release.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
This happened to me too. Is is something about being a Canadian user? Frustrating to say the least.

However... I am running Kobo Desktop in a VirtualBox installation on WindowsXP on my Linux computer. I thought that was the cause, maybe not.

Last edited by JedV; 09-20-2011 at 12:07 AM.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Grizzlay
Smarter than most bears
Grizzlay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm also experiencing this problem. Started last week just after the new patch version. I haven't changed anything else on my computer.

Edit: Sent a PM to MDK and the work around he suggested fixed it instantly.

Last edited by Grizzlay; 09-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Grizzlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Claude
Claude began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-reader
Kobo server error

For the past week, every time I have tried to access the Kobo store via dthe desktop application and on my Kobo e-reader, I have received an error message saying that there is a server error. When I try to sync, I get a message saying that there is no internet connection. I made an experience accessing the Kobo store via my account, successfully accessed it but the book I purchased did not download neither on in my library nor on my Kobo e-reader. However, it did download on my Ipod touch 4. What is going on? I have informed the Kobo customer service 5 days ago, but the problem remains. What is going on?
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See if the new version of the Desktop helps... If not... check your PM's and try that.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
weffey
weffey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I started having this issue on the 20th of September with version 2.1.1 of the desktop. I have since updated to 2.1.2 and the 2.1.2 installer gets a file lock error during install:

I am still getting the 'no connection' error, but now afterwards it tells me that 'the books on my device are up to date' too. Except they aren't, as there are two books I've purchased through the web that I can't sync to the desktop app/my kobo.

I have a first generation kobo, firmware version 1.8.1.
weffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Same "Internet connection" issue... seems my Kobo Desktop works only with connected KT...
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weffey View Post
I started having this issue on the 20th of September with version 2.1.1 of the desktop. I have since updated to 2.1.2 and the 2.1.2 installer gets a file lock error during install:

I am still getting the 'no connection' error, but now afterwards it tells me that 'the books on my device are up to date' too. Except they aren't, as there are two books I've purchased through the web that I can't sync to the desktop app/my kobo.

I have a first generation kobo, firmware version 1.8.1.
Make sure your Kobo is NOT plugged in via USB while doing the desktop update. See if that helps.