Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
We read Shane in ninth grade. I disliked it because I so disliked the teacher!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell
We read Shane in ninth grade. I disliked it because I so disliked the teacher!
I'm using this for the reason why I detested The House of the Seven Gables when I was fourteen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
*Lonesome Dove* is by far my favourite ever western novel, Outlander. Must have read it half a dozen times. I did see the TV series and it was excellent, but no movie could ever do justice to the book itself. Cheers. Neil
Thanks for the reminder Neil. I am putting it on my TBR list as we speak .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
No matter how many times I've read Lonesome Dove I still get a little misty-eyed at a couple of points in the story. (OK, I cry like a baby. )
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, 'Lonesome Dove' gets me like that, too. Also 'Little Big Man' mentioned earlier is a superb book that -- great as the Dustin Hoffman movie was -- just dazzles as a book. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #21
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
When I was young,my favorite western series was the Tom Buchanan series, written by William Ard (pen name: Jonas Ward ). Fun fact- Robert Silverberg pinch hit for him once-yes, THAT Robert Silverberg.

A review HERE

Buy HERE
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for the tip, stonetools. I actually think there may be a few of his books in an old box of westerns I inherited (lots of L'Amour and Max Brand and similar stuff). I'll have to check. Is there any info on which story/book might actually be Silverberg's writing?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Diap hits the nail on the head with the "Lonesome Dove" books - excellent.

How about Monte Walsh ? Or am going mad and saw the film.......

And "Shane" is a great read anyway.

I must do a bit of research here - I'm feeling the tug of the sagebrush.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks for the tip, stonetools. I actually think there may be a few of his books in an old box of westerns I inherited (lots of L'Amour and Max Brand and similar stuff). I'll have to check. Is there any info on which story/book might actually be Silverberg's writing?

WILLIAM ARD & ROBERT SILVERBERG
Buchanan On the Prod. Gold Medal 1026, August 1960.

It was one of the best.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That book seems to be universally loved amongst Western readers. It comes up every time I ask for a good place to start reading Westerns myself. I should get around to it soon.
It's part of a two volume collection of Mr. Grey's books here at MR. Happy reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just noticed that BooksOnBoard has Little Big Man by Thomas Berger for $11.99. Published in 1964, it's the reminiscence of a 100+ year old resident of a nursing home who claims to be the only survivor of Custer's Last Stand.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Remember the movie w/ Dustin Hoffman?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Needed a break last night and watched a re-run of 'Shane' (1953, I think). Never read the book, but the movie was a terrific reminder of how I felt about the Wild West as a Saturday morning cinema addict as a kid.

And it was my only brush with the cops. I was seven years old at the time, watching the film on my own. When it ended, I hid under my seat until the next showing an hour or so later ... and so on ...

My folks were frantic and reported my disappearance to the police. I was nabbed half way through the last performance at about 10:00pm.

See ... I'm a hardened outlaw, too!

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #29
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Remember the movie w/ Dustin Hoffman?
Yeah, the movie was great too.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
When I was young,my favorite western series was the Tom Buchanan series, written by William Ard (pen name: Jonas Ward ). Fun fact- Robert Silverberg pinch hit for him once-yes, THAT Robert Silverberg.

A review HERE

Buy HERE
I read all of the Buchanan books.
Another book I liked was Shoot him on Sight by William Colt MacDonald. I still have the original that I bought in 1966. I wish you could get it and the Buchanan books as ebooks.
I also liked Donald Hamilton's Westerns. He is most know for his Matt Helm Spy Series.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 09-12-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote