Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
pcferg
pcferg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cover goes missing on Kindle after ebook conversion

Hi folks,

I'm an indie author (read: self-published) who is trying to use Calibre to convert what originally was a Word file into a .mobi file for Kindle. I fixed a number of minor formatting problems through trial and error, but one remains. When I send the file to my Kindle, it doesn't bring the cover image along. The image shows in Calibre, and also when I drop the .mobi file onto my Kindle for Mac icon, but not on my actual Kindle.

I'm thinking I might have to insert it somehow in the html file (which I "save as" from Word in order to get Calibre to convert it to .mobi). Is that what you smart people think? Please advise. THANKS!

~Patsy
pcferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Kindle opens an ebook to the first page after the cover. Press the prev page button to see the cover.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
pcferg

Hi Kovid,
I've done that, but it's not there. I'm not sure why. Instead, it displays the Kindle screen saver image. Any other ideas?
~P
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hard to say without looking at your MOBI file.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Did you properly set the cover image in the books metadata (or pass it along as an argument when using the CLI tools)?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
pcferg

Oops. I meant to respond to Kovidgoyal, but the message appeared in the wrong place. And now I can't seem to delete it. Let me try again...

Last edited by pcferg; 05-13-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
pcferg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Did you properly set the cover image in the books metadata (or pass it along as an argument when using the CLI tools)?
I think I properly set it in the books metadata. I see it in Calibre. I also see it when I drop the mobi file onto my Kindle for Mac icon. It goes into my library with the cover. But when I email the same file to my Kindle, the cover doesn't come along. I don't understand your other question in parentheses. I wish I did! Hahaha!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
pcferg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hard to say without looking at your MOBI file.
Can I send you the file? I'd love to get this figured out. I'm afraid it's beyond me.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Try doing a MOBI->MOBI conversion. And nevermind about the parentheses stuff, if you didn't understand it, you don't need it.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
pcferg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Try doing a MOBI->MOBI conversion. And nevermind about the parentheses stuff, if you didn't understand it, you don't need it.
Okay, will do. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!