Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
celsius
celsius began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
No WiFi - can't setup Nook Color...!

Just bought the Nook Color and I am in an area with no Wifi...can't continue the setup of the device...! How can I continue..? Calibre won't detect it.
Any Ideas..?

thanks,
celsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I don't know if there's a workaround. According to the User Guide "you will not be able to set up your NOOKcolor without a Wi-Fi connection".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Ouch! Looks like if you want to set it up then you'll have to get to a B&N or another wi-fi area....that's terrible that you can't even use it unless you are in a wi-fi area.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
celsius
celsius began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I was afraid of that...off to BN I go...thanks for the comments...
celsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by celsius View Post
I was afraid of that...off to BN I go...thanks for the comments...
Other places that offer free WiFi include public libraries, McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. One of these may be closer to you than B&N.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Wi-Fi on Nook has to Publish your SSID

Looks like in order for the Nook Color to go wireless, you have to publish your wireless SSID. I have mine secured, but everytime I turn off publishing my SSID, I lose wireless connection.

I don't have that problem on my Itouch, laptops and Wii. Hope they fix that. Just one more step in my security plan.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
Looks like in order for the Nook Color to go wireless, you have to publish your wireless SSID. I have mine secured, but everytime I turn off publishing my SSID, I lose wireless connection.

I don't have that problem on my Itouch, laptops and Wii. Hope they fix that. Just one more step in my security plan.
It also doesn't support WPA2. I have to drop down to WPA in order to connect to the net.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
You mean on the router itself

On the Nook Color, it says: Security WPA/WPA2 PSK. So I assume you are meaning it doesn't support WPA2 from the router's point of view?
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
On the Nook Color, it says: Security WPA/WPA2 PSK. So I assume you are meaning it doesn't support WPA2 from the router's point of view?
My router was set at WPA2 and it failed to connect. Two CS reps later and I was told the NC doesn't support WPA2. It only supports WPA and lower, so I had reset my router to WPA and was connected.

I no longer trust the User Guide, since it also says that you can't charge the NC from a PC and that you must use the provided USB cable. Others have already proven that you can charge it from a PC and that any standard micro USB cable can be used.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My router was set at WPA2 and it failed to connect. Two CS reps later and I was told the NC doesn't support WPA2. It only supports WPA and lower, so I had reset my router to WPA and was connected.

I no longer trust the User Guide, since it also says that you can't charge the NC from a PC and that you must use the provided USB cable. Others have already proven that you can charge it from a PC and that any standard micro USB cable can be used.
I have WPA2 at home and I have no issues with the nookcolor. The User Guide must be wrong.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I have WPA2 at home and I have no issues with the nookcolor. The User Guide must be wrong.
Then my NC is probably defective, because it won't work on WPA2.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Does your router use TKIP or AES encryption? If you select WPA2 and choose TKIP (which you can legitimately do) it's really the same thing as WPA. AES encryption capability is what makes WPA2 different from WPA. It wouldn't surprise me if the NC couldn't do AES, since I believe it has more strict export restrictions than TKIP. It also requires more processing power than TKIP, which may be another reason (battery life.. I can't imagine the processor couldn't handle it, it just may suck more power).

Last edited by Rayven01; 11-24-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:

My router is set to WPA2-PSK and the Nook Color connects without a problem. The NC does support WPA2-PSK.

EDIT: My router settings just say "WPA2-PSK", but according to the connected windows PC the connection is using WP2-PSK TKIP.

Last edited by geertm; 11-24-2010 at 03:11 PM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
Does your router use TKIP or AES encryption? If you select WPA2 and choose TKIP (which you can legitimately do) it's really the same thing as WPA. AES encryption capability is what makes WPA2 different from WPA. It wouldn't surprise me if the NC couldn't do AES, since I believe it has more strict export restrictions than TKIP. It also requires more processing power than TKIP, which may be another reason (battery life.. I can't imagine the processor couldn't handle it, it just may suck more power).
Well, that makes sense. My options are:
  • None
  • WEP
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP]
  • WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
The last two options wouldn't work for me. So I'm currently at option three.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Well, that makes sense. My options are:
  • None
  • WEP
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP]
  • WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
The last two options wouldn't work for me. So I'm currently at option three.
My router's default setting WPA and WPA2, AES and TKIP, and the documentation states that devices will automatically negotiate with what they support. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I don't know exactly how this negotiation operates, but glad to report that the Nook Color connected without a hint of a problem.

In short, your last option above, tubemonkey, should have worked, and I'm not sure where the fault lies.

In general, AES WiFi support is implemented in hardware (which, as you might expect, means it generally performs better than TKIP), but I don't know if the Nook Color has support for it. (I attempted to look up the WiFi chipset through the MAC address only to learn that the MAC range is registered to "BARNES&NOBLE.COM" ... not very helpful. )
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote