Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
koadic
koadic doesn't litterkoadic doesn't litter

Device: prs-650
Another custom PRS-650 cover

Inspired by THIS post by icewyche, I was inspired to create my own custom cover to accompany a 650 that is going to be given as a Christmas gift to my Grandmother. It turned out well enough that I thought I would share it here.

I didn't really take any 'in progress' pictures, but there isnt much to show anyway. I do have pictures of the finished product though, and if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty darn good. I am even thinking about making one for myself now (of a different design), and replacing my current modified 600 cover.

After reading icewyche's thread, I decided to go to the paperblanks.com website and choose a cover. I filtered the selections to the 'midi' size (5x7), and chose to use one with a 'magnetic wrap' type of cover. After speaking to others in my family to choose the design, I ended up getting the 'Blue Cats & Butterflies' journal. When I initially googled the isbn number, the cheapest one I could find was about $47 (for the one with lined pages). I then googled the isbn number of the unlined journal and found one for $19 + $3 shipping though abebooks.com.

All said, I spent about $27 ($22 for journal + $5 for assorted craft supplies) as opposed to $35 plus shipping and/or tax for the 'official' Sony cover. As you can see in the pictures below, the 650 fits fairly snuggly, at the whole thing is fairly shake proof too. You may also notice that I went for a much thinner piece of elastic on the corner with the power switch, to insure it was easy to turn it on and off. Here are the photos of the result, modeling my personal 650. (resized for a max width of 640px)

Anyway, for those that may be interested in the materials/work flow, I used a 9x12 piece of felt with a self adhesive backing ($1), two packages of elastic (thick and thin, $1 each), and a small tube of craft glue (about $1.50) to attach the elastic directly to the cover (under the felt).

After stripping the 'memento pouch' and pages of the journal from the cover, I was left with fairly flimsy center, so I decided to cut a small strip of the felt to help fill it out and help make it more 'even' for the main piece of felt. I then cut the felt down to the size I would need for the entire cover using an exacto knife and a metal straight edge. After making the decision on the exact placement of the elastic straps, I glued them down onto the back cover. And finally, I cut slices into the felt (with the help of a paper template I made for exact location) to allow the elastic to come through to the front, and then removed the backing to adhere it to the cover.
koadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Very nice! It's great that we have so many cover options for the 650.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Nicely done! Looks great!
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Beautiful! What a wonderful, personal gift.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Awww, that's so pretty! And it looks a lot more professional than my klutzy effort. Great job!
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
koadic

I think that is only because I decided to use a piece of felt with adhesive backing instead of grabbing a piece of fabric and trying to glue it down. Regardless, it was only because of your post that I decided to even attempt it so thanks for the inpiration.

If I do another, I might try to find a double sided adhesive sheet (something like what was already on the felt) and use something like the microsuede that you used instead of the felt. That was really the only part that I would like to improve upon.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by koadic View Post
If I do another, I might try to find a double sided adhesive sheet (something like what was already on the felt) and use something like the microsuede that you used instead of the felt. That was really the only part that I would like to improve upon.
Yeah, I thought about using adhesive felt at first, but non-woven fabrics like felt can shed, and I didn't want to be constantly brushing little fibers off the screen.

What journal are you thinking of using for your own cover? The red foiled one from Paperblanks is gorgeous - I wish Borders had had that one in stock.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
koadic

While I do like that one, I am leaning more towards the Safavid cover.

Although, artsupplywarehouse.com has the 'Old Leather Foiled' one for 11.95 (+6.95 S&H)

LINK if your interested

Last edited by koadic; 11-05-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added link

Tags
650, cover, custom, prs-650