Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Angry 2.5 Update Delayed

Per the Kindle update page:
We know Kindle customers are anxious to receive the 2.5 software update, so we wanted to provide you with some details about its status. We've rolled out the 2.5 software release to a set of Kindle customers and have received great feedback from these early customers. Based on this feedback, we are making some small adjustments to improve the experience further. We will be rolling out the 2.5 software update to more users over the coming weeks.

Nice work (not). Off goes WN until I hear a LOT of people are getting it.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

I am so frustrated!

What more is there to say?
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I gave up on it a while ago and, like you, will wait to hear that others are getting it before I look again.
But as for the delay, I would rather get a software with less bugs on it and will happily wait to avoid hassles
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Because of having removed my font hack in hopes of receiving the 2.5 update, I find myself not reading with my Kindle anymore and using my other devices (Sony Reader, iPod Touch and and now my new iPad) to read with. And I'm beginning to prefer them! I think Amazon has handled this whole 2.5 update business rather badly, hopefully it won't backfire on them.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont think anything really happened with them. I am willing to be that most of the Kindle owners have no clue there is a new update on the way
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Nooooo!!! And I thought the new update was imminent (seeing there are only 2 days left in the month). Now I might have to wait a few more weeks
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Somebody wake me up when it's actually available and I'll turn my Whispernet back on.

We live out in poor reception area and keeping it on in hopes of the elusive update makes the battery life on my Kindle about that of a nook.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
I don't get all the angst over 2.5. My Kindle works just fine as is. When the update is ready for download, I'll download it. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my Kindle.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Dharmabum, I think it's just the natural urge to get the latest gizmo out there. We all want the newest! latest! thing.

And the long tease doesn't help. If they'd announced the update on Tuesday and done a wide release on Wednesday, there'd be no angst at all!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
Nice work (not). Off goes WN until I hear a LOT of people are getting it.
Yes, it is indeed nice work. That's the way a responsible company operates.

So, you'd prefer they ignore the bug reports they've received from the field and just roll it out with the problems? (Then you'd be complaining that they rolled out a bug-ridden update) You've created an arbitrary no-win situation in your mind. Relax. It ain't soup yet.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
(Then you'd be complaining that they rolled out a bug-ridden update)
Be careful in assuming you know what someone would complain about. There are a group of folks out there in the world who are so eager to be on the cutting-edge of everything "new" that they actually embrace each breakthrough, update, roll-out or discovery with open arms.

They are usually referred to as beta testers, or early adopters.

Just because someone obviously wasn't given the chance to beta test 2.5 doesn't mean they don't still have the personality of a beta tester. Some people just want it now, regardless of the bugs or kinks that will presumably be worked out over time.

I'm not saying the majority of people feel that way, or even a goodly percentage, but some people do.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
IcePick
IcePick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you for the update. Off goes wireless, back on goes screen savers and font hack.
I too will just wait until I hear that everyone is getting the update before uninstalling hacks.
IcePick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmabum View Post
I don't get all the angst over 2.5. My Kindle works just fine as is. When the update is ready for download, I'll download it. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my Kindle.

Folders. Collections. Whatever you want to call them. I wouldn't exactly call my attitude angst over it but Good God in Heaven yes I would like to have some organization for my books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
I am very much looking forward to this update, but am happy to wait until it really and truly works.

I am also extremely grateful -- despite my eagerness to get the update -- that I wasn't among the early recipients of 2.5. As much as I want and wanted it, the last thing I needed while I was working on the final project for my class, and while my *brand, new mountain bike* was calling my name from the garage -- was for the update to take place. I'm seriously not sure I could have disciplined myself to keep working on my project, with the possibility of organizing my readings just sitting there on the device I was using to store my research!

I've had the Whispernet on since late April. I'll probably still leave it on. I'm pretty impressed with the battery life despite its being constantly on, so what the heck. Not having to turn the Whispernet on prior to syncing makes that process more efficient anyway.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote