Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #61
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
"Basic stuff" is what most people use their computers for. Netbooks can handle most programs; nothing short of a modern game or quality modeling software is going to be a real showstopper on a netbook. The lack of optical drives is a disadvantage, but it is becoming less important as content and programs begin to be more widely distributed online.
The limited resolution of their screens is also problematic for photo editing. In fact as I understand Photoshop CS and later will not even let you install if the monitor resolution is below 1024x768px.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #62
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The limited resolution of their screens is also problematic for photo editing. In fact as I understand Photoshop CS and later will not even let you install if the monitor resolution is below 1024x768px.
No, but I have PhotoShop vs. 6.* on my Asus eeePC, and not being a professional graphics artist, or even a serious amateur, I have absolutely no idea what CS has that I don't. Besides, of course, a software package that costs two or three times the cost of the computer!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #63
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
No, but I have PhotoShop vs. 6.* on my Asus eeePC, and not being a professional graphics artist, or even a serious amateur, I have absolutely no idea what CS has that I don't. Besides, of course, a software package that costs two or three times the cost of the computer!
I have an old copy of PS7 that I could install, which only has minimal issues below 1024x768px (the very handy Palette Well gets squashed). But for me the biggest advantage with the newer versions of Photoshop is that now all of the tools and many filters work in 16-bit color mode. Also ironically the new interface in CS3 makes much better use of available screen real estate.

Last edited by Dylrob; 07-18-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #64
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Now that I have a netbook, I feel confident saying that as much as I love my netbook, I'd rather give that up than my Reader.
I agree, but isn't it because the netbook is sort of an add-on? If you were given the choice between computers alltogether and an ebook-reader, I'd guess you'd choose the computer. At least I would.

Having said that my prs-505 is probably the single gadget I would be most sad to depart with.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote