Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Creating "Tagged PDF" for small screens

I know there's a long thread here on hacking existing PDFs to display on small screens. But when I was creating my own book files to offer for [promotional link], I found information about creating PDFs that would reflow text for easy viewing on handheld devices. With much difficulty, I was able to create these files of my own books, and I now offer two PDF versions for download--one that looks better on a big screen (which I call PDF1), and one that reflows to a small screen (which I call PDF2). I find that, despite the fact that my books are available in a variety of ebook formats, the PDF files are by far the most downloaded. So, the demand is there for PDF for download.

Since I'm trying to send other writers to this forum for help with their conversions, I thought it would be good if information about creating tagged PDF files were here.

I'm hoping that someone can offer a simpler method than I used.

Here's what I did: I posted a plea for help to my town's email list, and someone with Adobe Acrobat came to my aid (or tried to). She created numerous tagged files for me, none of which would reflow on my PDA. Finally, she got one that worked, but the file size was large (5MB).

Then I remembered that I have Adobe Framemaker on my computer from a past freelance job, and I set about lashing it into creating my PDF. It worked, in the end, but it was a brutal battle. It involved guessing wildly at many settings. But the crucial ones seemed to be:
  • Choosing Acrobat Distiller as printer
  • Checking "Generate Acrobat Data" in the printer setup screen
  • Clicking PDF Setup, and under Tags, checking Generate Tagged PDF
  • On the same screen, making sure that all styles that I used in my text were included under "Include Paragraphs"
  • Under the Bookmarks tab, checking Generate PDF Bookmarks and Articles: Thread by Text Frame" (I'm still not sure if these made a difference)

Then I printed to a .ps (postscript) file -- this took a while, and if it went fast, I knew it wasn't working. Then I doubleclicked that file, and Acrobat Distiller kicked in and turned it into a tagged PDF file.

Formatting was a trial, too. Blank line space got omitted, unless I made sure there was a space in the line.

Each file took many tries before I got a reasonably satisfactory result. But it makes a huge difference in the readability of the PDF.

I just tried reading Tor's PDF (from their free download program) of my Battlestar Galactica novelization, and found that it does not reflow on my PDA. So it's not tagged.

Has anyone found a less onerous way of creating tagged PDF that I could offer to other writers who don't happen to have Framemaker lying around?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-17-2017 at 11:12 AM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I build tagged PDF's using Framemaker and do not find them as difficult to do as you seem to but I am glad that you got it working. They really are excellent tagged documents with very good intelligence.

Acrobat pro can add tagging to documents after the fact and it usually does a pretty good job. It does better if it has the source.

For free, if you have a PDA that uses ActiveSync on XP (Sorry ActiveSync is not supported on Vista) you can just drag a PDF to the device window. It will be automatically tagged as part of the process. Dragging it back will give you a distributable tagged document. This tagging isn't quite a smart at the two earlier methods but workable.

For more on tagging see the PDF article in the wiki. Note, by the way, that a few PDF readers such as Digital Editions do not need pretagged documents in order to reflow them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

For free, if you have a PDA that uses ActiveSync on XP (Sorry ActiveSync is not supported on Vista) you can just drag a PDF to the device window. It will be automatically tagged as part of the process. Dragging it back will give you a distributable tagged document.
Unfortunately, this only seems to work on later versions of ActiveSync, which only work on later versions of PocketPC operating system. I had read that and tried to update my ActiveSync for my older PDA, but it was no-go.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the latest activesync 4.5 on a Jornada 720. How old is your machine? (I also have a Pocket PC 2002 upgraded to 2003, and a 2003SE machine and it works on all of them). I haven't actually tried tagging a file on my Jornada but activesync works.

Dale
Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I use the latest activesync 4.5 on a Jornada 720. How old is your machine? (I also have a Pocket PC 2002 upgraded to 2003, and a 2003SE machine and it works on all of them). I haven't actually tried tagging a file on my Jornada but activesync works.

Dale
ActiveSync works for me, it just doesn't tag the PDFs. I have a Cassiopeia EM-500 with Windows CE 3.0, and ActivSync 3.8.

I'm hazy on the details now, but I ran a search on the question and found that it required an updating of something--I think it was ActiveSync itself--to enable the tagging. But when I tried doing that, I had an incompatible system. I think it was the Windows CE that was too old. Anyway, the instructions were to enable the tagging somewhere in the options for ActiveSync; but in my case, there was no such option. I could tell from other comments on the page I was reading that I was not the only one with such a problem.

I was corresponding with another author today who had trouble even viewing my tagged PDF on her Treo. But she was using a different PDF reader, not Adobe.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

For the Pdf’s to be tagged using activesync you will have to install acrobat for the pocketpc (in your case):
http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...lversions.html

And if I remember well, it installs also a component that works with activesync and “tag’s” text Pdf’s when you copy them to the device.

A much better way, I think, is to use OpenOffice 2.41 (http://www.openoffice.org) and export from write to Pdf your formatted work. It will “tag” your files perfectly on being used with a small device.

If you do not want to install it in your machine, you can use the portable version and run it from a USB drive in any windows machine, without it installing anything.
You can get this version, and other outstanding free software from:
http://portableapps.com

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
For the Pdf’s to be tagged using activesync you will have to install acrobat for the pocketpc (in your case):
http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...lversions.html

And if I remember well, it installs also a component that works with activesync and “tag’s” text Pdf’s when you copy them to the device.
Ah--that's what it was! I tried to update the Adobe on my Pocket PC, but it said my older version of Windows CE was not supported. That's why I couldn't get tagging via ActiveSync.

Quote:
A much better way, I think, is to use OpenOffice 2.41 (http://www.openoffice.org) and export from write to Pdf your formatted work. It will “tag” your files perfectly on being used with a small device.

If you do not want to install it in your machine, you can use the portable version and run it from a USB drive in any windows machine, without it installing anything.
You can get this version, and other outstanding free software from:
http://portableapps.com
My previous experience trying OpenOffice was less than wonderful. But if I can open a Word doc in it and export it to tagged PDF, then I'm willing to give it a try. Heaven knows I don't like the method I'm using now.

I'll check out that portable version. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Version 2.41 of OpenOffice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org) deals perfectly well with Pdf’s - it’s not a program I use normally, just testing it today for a class in Pdf/A I will be teaching Friday, and I’m quite pleased with the results… in my case it creates Pdf/A-1 files with zero errors when checking with Acrobat preflight option.

Wish you success,
Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Hi

Version 2.41 of OpenOffice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org) deals perfectly well with Pdf’s - it’s not a program I use normally, just testing it today for a class in Pdf/A I will be teaching Friday, and I’m quite pleased with the results… in my case it creates Pdf/A-1 files with zero errors when checking with Acrobat preflight option.

Wish you success,
Let's see, I understood "deals perfectly well" and "teaching Friday" and "pleased with the results." But you left me in the dust with Pdf/A, not to mention Pdf/A-1, and definitely preflight option. (Is that anything like preflighting an airplane? I know how to do that.)

I am installing OO portable on a thumb drive, as we speak.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru

I’m sorry to mixture things.

Pdf/A is the ISO 19005-1:2005 standard, also known as format for the long-term archiving of electronic documents.
It’s a subset of the “general” Pdf format. And in this moment it’s in the 1 version, more precisely there are 2 sub-versions, Pdf/A-1a (the most restrictive) and Pdf/A-1b (the more “relaxed” version).
You can have more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A.

Preflight is an option in Adobe Acrobat Creator where one can check if a file complies with a certain Pdf version (besides Pdf/A there are other subsets, like Pdf/X, etc…).

Pdf/A is very important to Archivists and Record Managers all over the world, as it can, and we (information professionals) are fighting to make it be, the “de facto” standard for migrating administrative and business documents (analogical and digital) and Archive them for the future.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

It is great to know that OO 2.4.1 will tag PDF files.

If you need a PDF viewer for older PDAs try http://www.hpcfactor.com/. They have a modified version that will likely work. It works on my Jornada 720. See the Palmtop wiki entry for more tricks.

Dale
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

My, installing software that size on a thumb drive takes a long time!

Anyway, I got Open Office (portable) up and running. I opened my source, a Word doc, and then saved it to a Tagged PDF file. It was quick, it was slick, it had only one important decision to make (check "Tagged PDF"), and it gave a file that looked great in desktop Adobe Reader. Smaller file size than the one I made with Framemaker, too.

Just one problem -- it looks like crap on my PDA. It breaks lines in the middle of words, gives very short lines in some places, and correct lines in others. The book title, in large font, breaks in the middle of words. At least as viewed in Adobe 1.0 for Pocket PC, it is completely unusable.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Keeping in mind here that my objective is not to solve my own reading problem, which is a non-issue, but to offer other writers some guidance on making their PDF files
Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Just to see if there would be any difference, I installed the desktop Open Office, and tried it again. This time I carefully unchecked all options on the PDF screen except "Tagged PDF." Same result. Unusable on my PDA.

Maybe a newer Adobe Reader or another viewer on my PDA would make a difference. But that's not much of a help if you're trying to create a file that anyone can view on their device.

Framemaker is doing something different, and something better, than OO.

Bummer.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi again

Well it looks you are making progress, even if not in the direction you would like.

You should note that today use in pocketpcs is the version 2 and not the version 1, even if it’s from 2002!

Very few people have pocketpcs version less then 2003 and mainly what one uses is windows mobile versions 5 and 6.

It can happen that the files look much better in these devices with Acrobat 2, then what you are getting with version 1.

If you want an example, what I get normally is something very similar to what you can see in Adobes site (left image):
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforppc.html

And when I enlarge the font, the text just reflows nicely.

If you want I can test in my 2 pocketpcs, 2003 and windows mobile 5, with one of your files and try to get back to you.

Best regards,
Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

You need to load the Adobe Reader from the site I referenced and see if ActiveSync will convert your files. It is Reader version 2 by the way.