Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Benji99
Benji99 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Should I buy V1 or V2

Hi guys, I'm very very tempted in finally buying my first e-book reader.
The iliad in particular is very interesting to me for various obvious reasons. (Mainly PDF support, WIFI and really interesting possibilities due to it's Linux OS)

I've noticed that there are some new V1 Iliads for sale on eBay at a significant 200$ or so discount over brand new V2 models.

here

I understand that software wise, I can make the V1 identical to the V2 and that the differences therefore would only the battery and small modifications to the casing. Oh, the V1s in question don't seem to have any kind of warranty.

My questions is to the users familiar with both versions. Is the 200$ extra for the V2 really worth it in your opinion? Should I be really worried if there's no warranty or do Iliads rarely fail?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sebastien
Benji99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Sebastien,

One thing to be careful of is that iRex have made a number of "custom" versions of the iLiad, and these sometimes show up on eBay, etc. They do NOT have the MobiPocket Reader on them! caveat emptor!

Provided it's a "legit" v1 then the battery really is the only difference; the v2 has a battery life that's about 20% greater than the v1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Benji99
Benji99 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the quick response!

Is there any way to know if it's the case?
For example, in the above auction, the following part # is provided: Part number ER0100 001A18-24

If it's just a question of a custom firmware with the mobipocket reader, can I not simply re-flash with the current standard firmware to get the mobipocket reader?
Benji99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji99 View Post
...I understand that software wise, I can make the V1 identical to the V2 and that the differences therefore would only the battery and small modifications to the casing. Oh, the V1s in question don't seem to have any kind of warranty.

My questions is to the users familiar with both versions. Is the 200$ extra for the V2 really worth it in your opinion? Should I be really worried if there's no warranty or do Iliads rarely fail?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sebastien
There have been people who have had line-outs and other issues that are covered by the warranty, enough to make me think that I personally would want to have the warranty. If it has to go back a couple of times, for example, you'd soon eat up the $200 difference (I think, depending on what is wrong).

If you do decide to go for the one on ebay I recommend making sure you get shell access as soon as possible so that you are able to reflash it yourself if necessary. I see that you are interested in its "interesting possibilities" which implies you'll be doing that anyway, but I just wanted to emphasize this.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These do seem to be legit V1s, see I found what looks to be a good deal on some iLiads.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
If you don't really need wifi the new book edition is IMHO a good bargain to go for.

Also note that the v1 is not only a weaker battery, it also aprox. already 2 years old, when you buy it. Depends on how well the previous owner treated the battery, and at which temperature it was stored...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
My V1 seems to work just fine (*knocks on wood*). Battery and all.
Got it from the ARINC eBay auction...

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but i just have to commend their communication, responsiveness and speed.

Edit: And i'd never trade the WiFi away. Having the iLiad sync itself wirelessly at predefined times is more than convenient. It's addictive
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
Josh
Josh began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
V1 - Mobipocket DRM compatibility

Can anyone confirm that the model being discussed (Part number ER0100 001A18-24) can be loaded with the Mobipocket DRM version? I am about to bid on one but need to access Mobipocket DRM books via Dymocks www.dymocks.com.au for text books.

Thanks

Josh
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The V1 and V2 can read DRM laden Mobipocket eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Be careful - iRex have produced some "custom" versions of the iLiad which don't contain the MobiPocket Reader. Make sure that it's not one of these that you're buying!

It's perhaps worth noting that the iLiad has an extremely poor implementation of the MobiPocket Reader - eg, it has no bookmark capability, which is a "show-stopper" for me. If reading MobiPocket books is a priority for you, it might be as well to consider and compare other devices with MobiPocket support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are purchasing the iLiad for Mobipocket support, you could wait for one of the new 9.7" eink devices to come out with Mobipocket support. Supposedly sometime later this year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 AM   #12
Josh

I seem to be winning the eBay bid so far, and it is a local pick up only which tends to keep the prices down. I have read around and it is definately a 'custom' version. I will be pretty happy if the price is right.

As it is mainly for university textbooks, I don't mind Mobipocket not having a bookmark function. I think I would trade that for the Wacom pen and annotation.

As far as the 9.7inch goes, I can't wait for those to be mass produced but I note that Jinke has suspended. They are stating that the mass production of the screen has been delayed: http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...pro/newpro.asp . I would love one but I don't know that I want to wait for an undetermined period. I will go for an Iliad and trade up to a 9.7 - 10 inch when they hit the streets (probably have to wait 9-12 months after the US release for Australia to get them).
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
HarryT is right that the Mobipocket implementation on the iRex iLiad is extremely weak. Not only is it missing bookmarking, it's also missing searching: there is no way to search for text in a Mobipocket document. And the pen-annotation stuff does NOT work with Mobipocket ebooks on the iRex; that functionality is available only when reading PDFs.

===

ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer
*** Hugo Award winner for HOMINIDS ***
http://sfwriter.com * sawyer@sfwriter.com
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #14
Josh

Harry and others,

Thank you for the words of wisdom. I have done some further reading and may wait for the 9.7 inch Netronix to hit the shelves. Although, the main attraction to the Iliad is the strong developers community and the ongoing updates, which may not be as prevalent with other brands. I will try to con the wife into letting me get both.

Cheers

Josh
Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are purchasing the iLiad for Mobipocket support, you could wait for one of the new 9.7" eink devices to come out with Mobipocket support. Supposedly sometime later this year.
I don´t believe in that time table.

But a bigger Iliad would be fun (I remember that an iLiad developer said that they need at least 2 years to redesign a bigger device).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote