Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Jini
Jini began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR-1000, Bookeen Odyssey
Question Change the shop

As soon as the new Odyssey connected to the internet, it thought it would be a jolly good idea to set the dutch bol webpage as my personal shop.

Does anybody know how this can be 'improved'
Jini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
This is not possible, at least on current version.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Jini

Connecting the Odyssey and deleting

system/user/store/estore_TEST_BOL_1.thn

worked for me in the sense that now at least the dutch BOL site is removed. I guess it would be interesting to know whether there are other .thn files that can be moved there. It were even better if the THN file format could be understood
Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jini View Post
Connecting the Odyssey and deleting

system/user/store/estore_TEST_BOL_1.thn

worked for me in the sense that now at least the dutch BOL site is removed. I guess it would be interesting to know whether there are other .thn files that can be moved there. It were even better if the THN file format could be understood
I tried replacing it with a THN file from the bookmarks folder, but it just sets it back next time I open the store.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Here's an interesting quote from the manual:
Quote:
11.2 Bookstores
Bookeen chose an "open" model. Not only can you download ebooks with the
Bookeen bookstore, but also you can use other bookstore without any
difficulties. You just have to choose and type your bookstore name in the edit
field with the virtual keyboard.
What exactly do they mean by that? They could be referring to the fact that you can buy books with the webbrowser (by the way I can't seem to log in to kobo on there), but that does not make sense as it requires more than "typing your bookstores name". You need at least a ".com" or something.
Note: I asked bookeen about this days (weeks) ago but the have yet to respond. Not so much as an automated "we have received your message and will get back to you as soon as possible".
Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Jini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
I tried replacing it with a THN file from the bookmarks folder, but it just sets it back next time I open the store.
I observed the same thing. Even renaming the THN file did not work...
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Here's an interesting quote from the manual:

What exactly do they mean by that? They could be referring to the fact that you can buy books with the webbrowser (by the way I can't seem to log in to kobo on there), but that does not make sense as it requires more than "typing your bookstores name". You need at least a ".com" or something.
I guess that they meant what you say: you can buy books from other stores, your Odyssey can be used to read other stores' e-books.

The manual (but also their website) really needs some (hard) rewriting... and IMHO they really need to hire some good UX folks as well.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jini View Post
I observed the same thing. Even renaming the THN file did not work...
Nope. We discussed the issue on SBF forum (here: ).

The THN file is just the image displayed on the home screen. (See also this post: http://john.nachtimwald.com/2010/01/...specification/ --- the .thn files for the store banner are images of 540 x 144 pixels, with 16 gray levels (hence, 4 bits/pixel), with a 8-bytes header, whose first 4 bytes are "t4bq" => 8 + (540 * 144) * 4 /8 = 38888 bytes)

The "logic" resides in the (not user-accessible) system partition and apparently it can be changed only with a firmware update.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
I guess that they meant what you say: you can buy books from other stores, your Odyssey can be used to read other stores' e-books.

The manual (but also their website) really needs some (hard) rewriting... and IMHO they really need to hire some good UX folks as well.
I agree they need to rewrite it. Most of it seems to be about the Orizon.
I hope they respond to my email, though.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The UI in the English-language Odyssey could use a spell-check too.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
bob123
Addict

Well, they admit that the manual is a little misleading. Apparently it was supposed to say that you can use other stores in the webbrowser.