Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
katkat
katkat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White 2
Exclamation Kindle Paper White 2 Update Problem

Hello all, I have a problem about firmware update.

I didn't use my paper white 2 for a long time. I wanted to update my kindle but I couldn't update it. I downloaded newest firmware update and put into my kindle root folder. When I click update my kindle it just restarts the device. No firmware updating screen at all...

My current firmware version is: Kindle 5.4.5.1
Serial: 90D4

sorry for potato english
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat View Post
Hello all, I have a problem about firmware update.

I didn't use my paper white 2 for a long time. I wanted to update my kindle but I couldn't update it. I downloaded newest firmware update and put into my kindle root folder. When I click update my kindle it just restarts the device. No firmware updating screen at all...

My current firmware version is: Kindle 5.4.5.1
Serial: 90D4

sorry for potato english
Make sure you are downloading the firmware for the 6th Generation Paperwhite.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
katkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Make sure you are downloading the firmware for the 6th Generation Paperwhite.
yeah, I downloaded this but it's just restarting the device as I said :/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450
Old 10-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's *supposed* to restart the device.

Granted, it's also supposed to swap to the updater extremely early during the boot process, too .

Make sure you've identified your device correctly?

EDIT: Given your S/N, that should indeed be a PW2 ("6th gen" in the US, as Jon pointed out).

Fun fact: while your link offered 5.12.1, this one offers 5.12.2.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-27-2019 at 05:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you happen to encounter other weird storage-related issues, like stuff not "sticking" or disappearing?

If all else fails, I'd try a factory reset, then an update.
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
katkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Did you happen to encounter other weird storage-related issues, like stuff not "sticking" or disappearing?

If all else fails, I'd try a factory reset, then an update.
No I didnt see anyting weird, Kindle works fine.

Actually my main problem is battery drain. A few days ago I started using my Kindle after a long time and I noticed that the battery drains so quickly. Before that I was using my Kindle 1,5-2 months but now battery cant even last 1 day. So I thought battery drains so quicky because I missed the updates. I wanted to update the device but I couldnt. I also tried factory reset but still same.

and yeah, my device is 6th gen PW2. It has Amazon on the back.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Actually my main problem is battery drain. A few days ago I started using my Kindle after a long time and I noticed that the battery drains so quickly. Before that I was using my Kindle 1,5-2 months but now battery cant even last 1 day. So I thought battery drains so quicky because I missed the updates. I wanted to update the device but I couldnt. I also tried factory reset but still same.

Your battery degraded sitting around uncharged.

Why would not upgrading the OS degrade the battery? Updates can improve battery life, leave it the same, or make it worse. Not updating does ... nothing.

Not charging the battery for months degrades it, especially since kindles never turn off until the battery runs down, and sitting around run down is the worst for lithium batteries.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

One thing you can try is tapping "Restart" instead of "Update Your Kindle" (after uploading the update .bin to the device).

With the rather large caveat that doing that with a mismatched firmware package will kill your device dead.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The main reason a Kindle battery drains so fast is because of a book stuck on indexing.

To check if an eBook is stuck indexing, do a search in all books and search for some random letters not in any book. You'll see that some are not yet indexed meaning something is stuck.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I have the Paperwhite 2, same serial number, with firmware 5.9.7. I don't want to update the firmware any more, because it now does what I want: lets me use custom fonts on azw3 formats.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I have the Paperwhite 2, same serial number, with firmware 5.9.7. I don't want to update the firmware any more, because it now does what I want: lets me use custom fonts on azw3 formats.
So does the new firmware. It does the same thing with custom fonts.