Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Cool phone, outrageous price!
Yes, yes, and indeed yes.

But we are getting closer to something "good."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #17
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It’s good to see the folding concept is improving, for those who want such a thing. For me it doesn’t even rise to level of ‘nice to have’, but I can see it would have advantages for some people (screen is protected when it’s put into a pocket or purse with other objects).
If you are going to have even near such an expensive object to use in the forest, the hills, or the shore, the more protection you have is worth almost any price.

Particularly I want to know what the "wet proof trials" showed.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #18
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it were about half that price I’d be all over it.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Yes, yes, and indeed yes.

But we are getting closer to something "good."
What will be released will be 100% GARBAGE!

The Motorola Flip phone should have been made as it was without being a smart ass phone and make it with the buttons. The thing is, there are a lot of people who would buy it if it was like it used to be.

Heck, if it was like it used to be, I would get one for my father who doesn't do smart phones.

This new version is a mistake. I hope it tanks big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
My first mobile phone was a Razr and I loved it. In fact they’re the only type I had until I switched to an iPhone smart phone. This new one looks interesting and I think larger, foldable protected screens like this could be the future of smart phones. But I don’t like the dimensions of the screen on this one- it’s too long! The extra length just feels like it’d be useless extra screen space because of the odd dimensions.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2019, 01:22 AM   #21
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Given that this doesn't even have a flagship processor... Not to mention the tiny-ass battery.
(Shades of "No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame." perhaps?)
EDIT: reference to https://slashdot.org/story/01/10/23/...-releases-ipod
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #22
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read some of the design articles about it. The small battery is because otherwise it would be too thick when folded. And the lesser processor is to keep the battery life OK with the smaller battery.
I think the specs are OK. It's a novelty at this point anyway, if people buy it it will be for the coolness factor. And how many people really NEED the top of the line processor? Not many, unless they are gamers or something like that.

Consider it a proof of concept project "folding phones can work", and wait for the tech to get cheaper and more powerful if interested.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
I read some of the design articles about it. The small battery is because otherwise it would be too thick when folded. And the lesser processor is to keep the battery life OK with the smaller battery.
I think the specs are OK. It's a novelty at this point anyway, if people buy it it will be for the coolness factor. And how many people really NEED the top of the line processor? Not many, unless they are gamers or something like that.

Consider it a proof of concept project "folding phones can work", and wait for the tech to get cheaper and more powerful if interested.
Exactly.
The tech needs to prove its long term durability and they need to ramp up production at a reasonable pace. A million phones failing at once serves no one.
It'll be a couple years before the price comes down and by then those specs will be appropriate for its market.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
As plausible as some of the stated justifications of the mehdiocre specs are, it's still a hard thing to pitch, "give us premium dollars for so-so specs". Assuming the target demographic is bleeding-edge must-have early adopters, price is less of a problem for them than specs. The only real marketing edge might be the "made in the USA" thing for those to whom that matters, especially if bolstered by nostalgia for for the Razrs of old

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-18-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Motorola Razr should be made like it was when it was last made before smartphones. I think it would sell especially at a reasonable price.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #26
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Motorola Razr should be made like it was when it was last made before smartphones. I think it would sell especially at a reasonable price.
99% of the people who were attached to the razrs have moved on to smartphones. After all, they were at the leading edge in their time.

You may get people buying the new phone for nostalgia and the cool factor, but nobody except old people, drug dealers, and Tony Stark use flip phones anymore.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
You may get people buying the new phone for nostalgia and the cool factor, but nobody except old people, drug dealers, and Tony Stark use flip phones anymore.
...I still use a flip phone; but then, I'm an old people
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #28
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
And that is a shame. It struck me while filtering through phone reviews, attempting to find something I'd actually buy that the reviewers were yammering on and on about the camera, screen, apps etc. but absolutely nothing about signal strength or voice quality, the essential attributes of a PHONE. It seems that the extraneous crap has somehow gained more importance than the intended function. It may be just me but I found that very odd.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
And that is a shame. It struck me while filtering through phone reviews, attempting to find something I'd actually buy that the reviewers were yammering on and on about the camera, screen, apps etc. but absolutely nothing about signal strength or voice quality, the essential attributes of a PHONE. It seems that the extraneous crap has somehow gained more importance than the intended function. It may be just me but I found that very odd.
I think for the most part, that is because in the major markets, the phone network has been built out to a point that signal strength isn't really an issue anymore. Back in the day, when the iPhone just came out, there was a cool Android app that plotted the cell tower there were within range on a map and gave the signal strength of each tower.

I suspect that if you looked at phone usage, you would see a small group of people who talk on the phone a lot, and a big group of people who text and use social media far more than they actually call someone.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Where I live signal strength is highly variable due to topography. I would love to find a review of current phones that actually mentioned the quality of the antenna. I don't make many phone calls (I use the phone more for emails than calls) but if I were to need to call AAA for roadside assistance it would be good to know that my phone had a decent chance.
I think most reviewers are probably based in big cities where this is not an issue.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote