Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #31
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Hmm, I do like that suggestion for [Note 1] instead. Less obtrusive than [Footnote 1]. Thanks!
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #32
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
I'm using [=> 1] to have a bigger tap area and to indicate that the reader will leave his current positiion in the book.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 04:34 AM   #33
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi Toxaris,

You mean for fixed layout, pre-paginated ebooks, right? I am not sure how this could be handled in a reflowable without knowing the size of the page (so to speak).

KevinH
But the rendered does know the size of the page. IIf there is noit enoughj room for an image the image is displayed on the next "page". So the renderer does know that there is mor space left.

Its not a simple task to do it and changing font size may result in a longer rerendering phase, buit i wouldnt say its impossible.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You re replying to a comment made in 2016. I had to re-read the entire thread to see what if anything you were referring to.

All I can say is Sigil is for editing epubs, and is not an epub reading system. So how footnotes are created from an editing perspective is what we focus on and not how a particular reader decides to implement that (ala iBooks or not).

I believe DiapDealer expressed similar thoughts in his answers, so I think we are on the same page.

What brought this topic back up?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #35
Vroni
Banned

Oops, the thread has been digging out of the past here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=27

So i started to read back a little bit and didnt noticed that it was so old.
Sorry
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #36
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post

Criticisms, thoughts?
FWIW this is a 'thought' not a 'criticism' regarding the following line of your code:

Code:
      <li id="ref1">Hannibal, Missouri. (<a href="#backref1">Return to previous place.</a>)</li>
Before you put a lot of effort into coding them this way I'd be inclined to double-check whether splitting the id="..." and href="..." attributes across 2 different tags messes up some devices' ability to display footnotes as pop-ups. A simple first test would be to see whether the calibre Viewer pops them up properly.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #37
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
FWIW this is a 'thought' not a 'criticism' regarding the following line of your code:

Code:
      <li id="ref1">Hannibal, Missouri. (<a href="#backref1">Return to previous place.</a>)</li>
Before you put a lot of effort into coding them this way I'd be inclined to double-check whether splitting the id="..." and href="..." attributes across 2 different tags messes up some devices' ability to display footnotes as pop-ups. A simple first test would be to see whether the calibre Viewer pops them up properly.
These are plain links, to another place (the end) in the current file. Pop ups seemed more fragile so I decided to go with end notes. The [Note 1] jumps to the end note, then that end note has a (Return to previous place.) to go back.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #38
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
You re replying to a comment made in 2016. I had to re-read the entire thread to see what if anything you were referring to.

All I can say is Sigil is for editing epubs, and is not an epub reading system. So how footnotes are created from an editing perspective is what we focus on and not how a particular reader decides to implement that (ala iBooks or not).

I believe DiapDealer expressed similar thoughts in his answers, so I think we are on the same page.

I referenced roger64's comment "On touch screens, foot/endnotes are not that much reliable, even with bigger anchors" and I was soliciting feedback about using a simple method of linking, not using a smaller size superscript.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #39
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

[...]

Exactly...

Quote:
Exactly. Doing it that convoluted way will probably break the footnote heuristics in many of these readers.

Quote:
In my next batch of books, the first with footnotes, I've decided to use end notes and put them at the end of the chapter / xhtml file. In the body of the text I'm using

Code:
<a id="backref1" href="#ref1">[Footnote 1]</a>
[...]

Again, an easy to tap link for returning. Perhaps crude and inelegant but it's easy to tap.

Criticisms, thoughts?
Big mistake on nearly all fronts.

1. "[Footnote 1]" is unnecessarily long. It would make heavily annotated text nearly unreadable, and would also break across lines.

To make it easier to click, you already unsuperscript it + add a little buffer with brackets: [1]. That's enough to help readability without being too intrusive, and still helping fat fingers.

2. Relying on <ol> for auto-numbering is also bad, and it can't be relied upon across readers, especially when generating complicated numbering schemes ("d.1") or multiple sets of footnotes (Numbered + Greek + Symbols).

Heck, many of the ereaders have bugs starting <ol> with a number higher than 1!

Quote:
Pop ups seemed more fragile so I decided to go with end notes. The [Note 1] jumps to the end note, then that end note has a (Return to previous place.) to go back.
If you just KISS, the built-in popup functionality of readers will work. There's no need to try to recreate the wheel with some complicated convoluted code.

Either use the EPUB3 footnotes specified in Doitsu's Post #4... or use normal, simple EPUB2 code.

I won't go into further detail on Footnotes, I've written extensively on all the pros/cons and concepts behind all different types.

Here's just two of the topics:

See my discussion on Footnotes in "A link to jump back to the original start point?" (especially Posts #8+).

For a much larger overview of all kinds of book digitization problems that may crop up, see my posts in "Delicate text digitalizing + scanning issues".

For even more info: See this link.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-29-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Code:
Can you give an example of footnote code that would create a popup on a Kobo using kepub? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #41
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
These are plain links, to another place (the end) in the current file. Pop ups seemed more fragile so I decided to go with end notes. The [Note 1] jumps to the end note, then that end note has a (Return to previous place.) to go back.
I can only speak from my Kobo experience but the "plain there-and-back-again links using <a> tags" that you posted can often be perfectly adequate for displaying notes as pop-ups in kepubs. No other special HTML/CSS is required if you code your <a> tags correctly.

Anyway, it's up to you how you proceed. I just thought I'd mention it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can only speak from my Kobo experience but the "plain there-and-back-again links using <a> tags" that you posted can often be perfectly adequate for displaying notes as pop-ups in kepubs. No other special HTML/CSS is required if you code your <a> tags correctly.

Anyway, it's up to you how you proceed. I just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks. Next time I have a footnote heavy eBook, I'll give it a go.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #43
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you give an example of footnote code that would create a popup on a Kobo using kepub? Thanks.
If I remember correctly I think you just put it in an aside tag. The html I'm using I got from the Daisy page.

Edit: here's the link: http://kb.daisy.org/publishing/docs/html/notes.html

They don't have an id for the end note example so I put it on the li tag (because I didn't understand that they weren't linking to the end note).

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-29-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #44
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll have to test this on the kobo, but what partially works with Calibre's vewer is this.

I'm using the reset css from https://github.com/FriendsOfEpub and in it is:

Code:
[hidden] {
  display: none;
}
My footnote is still the clunky one that's not superscripted. It's using the same stuff from the daisy.org page:

Code:
<a href="#ref1" role="doc-noteref" epub:type="noteref">[Note 1]</a>
Following that paragraph is the aside:

Code:
<aside hidden="hidden" id="ref1" role="doc-footnote" epub:type="footnote">
  <p>See page 450.</p>
</aside>
The part I don't understand is how to hide the aside. If I take out the hidden attribute then it's displayed after the paragraph. With the hidden attribute included the popup is empty.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When I'm cleaning up footnotes, I use [1] [2] [3] etc. I really dislike superscripted links. I want a link large enough to be seen.