Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audible OneBook Goes Live

...only now the program is called Send this Book. It allows you to send any book in your Audible library to as many as 100 recipients for free. The catch, you're only allowed to receive one free book; period! After that, if you want any further books that are sent to you, you'll have to pay for them. Basically, it's like getting one free credit.

* Send this Book FAQs

Note: US customers only -- see T&C for details

Audible "Send this Book" Requests -- go to this thread in the Audiobook Discussions forum if you wish to request a free Audible book. This offer is in addition to any promotional offers or trial periods you currently have and does not count against any of your credits.

Audible Expands OneBook Sharing Program to All Users

Spoiler:
Quote:
Last July I broke the news that Audible was beta-testing a program where listeners could share an audiobook in their library with a friend, more or less giving away a copy at Audible's expense.

That program, Audible Onebook, is now open to all Audible customers.

Audible announced on Wednesday that they've launched a new program where Audible customers can share an audiobook in their library with a friend. Strangely enough, this program is not named in the press release, but it sounds like the one I reported on last year:

Audible to let audiobook owners share one book free of charge as intro to share mechanism

Spoiler:
Quote:
Audible Inc., the world’s largest seller and producer of downloadable audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment, today announced the release of a new feature that allows listeners to give any audiobook they own in their “My Library” to others instantly via e-mail, text, Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, using their iOS, Android and Windows 10 devices. Each recipient gets his or her first title through the program for free, and Audible will pay authors, actors and other rights holders the equivalent value of each recipient’s first title.

“Audible’s many millions of habitués know how our audio service can enhance the quality and character of daily life – whether driving, exercising, or working around the house. Audible is growing at historic rates as powerful words matched by powerful performances redefine reading and listening,” said Audible founder and CEO Donald Katz. “Audible customers also understand that they own each title they buy as members or a la carte purchasers, and they can carry their Audible libraries around forever. Now, for the first time, our listeners can send complete titles to anyone in the US and the cost is on us.”

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-21-2016 at 03:14 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Wow, let begging commence! This could backfire though couldn't it? to a small degree anyway im thinking but as always i suspect the bezos behemoth can swallow a few audible loses. Only one recommendation receivable eh, ok then.

Last edited by peterwardgd; 05-19-2016 at 06:05 AM.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
Wow, let begging commence! This could backfire though couldn't it? in the faq it states:

Can recipients send the book recommendation that I send to them?

Yes! Once a recipient redeems their audiobook, they are given the ability to send that title - or any other audiobook in their personal library with their friends and family.

A single audiobook purchase could effectively go around the world then so to speak couldn't it? Regardless Its pretty interesting. I suspect a dedicated thread might pop up soon no?
I don't see it backfiring. Recipients are only allowed to get one free audiobook; no matter how many offers they receive. It amounts to getting one free credit from Audible, which they do all of the time.

A dedicated thread will appear later today in the Audiobook Discussions forum. I was waiting for some interest before I started it.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Seems way more confusing than it needs to be...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

A request thread is now active in the Audiobook Discussions forum:

* Audible "Send this Book" Requests

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-20-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #6
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't see it backfiring. Recipients are only allowed to get one free audiobook; no matter how many offers they receive. It amounts to getting one free credit from Audible, which they do all of the time.

A dedicated thread will appear later today in the Audiobook Discussions forum. I was waiting for some interest before I started it.
Sure, but that's still one less sale x potentially every audible user.

Last edited by peterwardgd; 05-19-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Sure, but that's still one less sale x potentially every audible user.
It is a sale they would have never made in the first place. So it is not a loss, but free advertising.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
peterwardgd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is a sale they would have never made in the first place. So it is not a loss, but free advertising.
Yeah thats why i used the word potentially. And its not free advertising. Even though its digital media Amazon don't pull the audiobooks out of thin air. It wasn't free to them somebody somewhere got paid.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Yeah thats why i used the word potentially. And its not free advertising. Even though its digital media Amazon don't pull the audiobooks out of thin air. It wasn't free to them somebody somewhere got paid.
Audio books are hideously expensive to produce (and time consuming. I've done short stories and an hour of finished work takes 3 hours of recording and at least that in editing).

It's an odd promotion, but perhaps the idea is to get people hooked on audio books. It's one of the few growing aspects of books right now and I know some people avoid it because of the higher expense of audio books.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
In the UK you get one free audiobook when you sign up for the 1-month Audible trial (I have a 3-month 'Prime Special Offer' currently being displayed for Audible, so 3 freebies).
Is it different in the US or is the 'send a book' thing on top of the free trial?

I'll admit knowing next to nothing about Audible given that the chances of finding a combination of something I want to listen to and by a narrator who doesn't get on my nerves almost immediately is very slim. Fair to say that I just don't really get on with audiobooks
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
In the UK you get one free audiobook when you sign up for the 1-month Audible trial (I have a 3-month 'Prime Special Offer' currently being displayed for Audible, so 3 freebies).
Is it different in the US or is the 'send a book' thing on top of the free trial?

I'll admit knowing next to nothing about Audible given that the chances of finding a combination of something I want to listen to and by a narrator who doesn't get on my nerves almost immediately is very slim. Fair to say that I just don't really get on with audiobooks
It's a separate program and on top of any free trials. One could conceivably get both.

Note: Send this Book is only available in the US
Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is a sale they would have never made in the first place.
That is by no means certain, or even especially likely. Why do people think they have precognitive knowledge about what every other person might have done?

Quote:
So it is not a loss, but free advertising.
It's not free, they are certainly spending marketing dollars on this program, if nothing else.

It seems like a really good idea though, even if they are giving up potential sales and spending money. I suspect it will pay off pretty well for them.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It seems like a really good idea though, even if they are giving up potential sales and spending money. I suspect it will pay off pretty well for them.
I got a free book out it; but then, I'm not one of Audible's best customers. This program definitely wasn't aimed at customers like me, because I won't pay more than $2.99 for a book.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I would guess the Audible is looking to get new members out of this, since you have to be a member to get the free book.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That is by no means certain, or even especially likely. Why do people think they have precognitive knowledge about what every other person might have done?
Yes, because if they wanted it bad enough and the price was justified (to them) they would have already bought that book.
Quote:
It's not free, they are certainly spending marketing dollars on this program, if nothing else.
Of course it costs money. And yet it is free as no money is wasted. It is advertisement that is not annoying. If you then accidentally sign up for a free trial because of it and NOT cancel it, that is your own fault. All the money they spend goes to people that click on it.

Quote:
Of course it does. I got an email the other day and they want me to get back into audible subscription. They offer 99 cents for 2 months. But that is 99 cents more than last time when I had a free 3 month subscription. I will pass on that. But it is a sign that Amazon is really trying to snatch up customers. The reason? Who knows yet. Either Amazon is coming up with something or trying to take the edge of a competitor (e.g. new offbrand Echo).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote