Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #31
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast
Hexadecimal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thanks!
I missed that detail. *

What you see is a u-boot built for the PW3-4G being run on a PW4-32G.

Replace the currently running u-boot with the one from the Amazon update package (which you can open with Kindletool).

- - - - -

Search for the thread with 'fastboot' in its title, I am pretty sure that one has the directions you need.
IIRC, that was also one of the treads that included recovering from 'erase all'.

- - - - -

* Past time for me to give up, when I can't even write the answer to the questions I know about.
I got that u-boot.bin. But I have no idea for writing it in...
Hexadecimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #32
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimal View Post
I got that u-boot.bin. But I have no idea for writing it in...
For clarity, which uboot.bin do you have, where did you get it?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #33
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
For clarity, which uboot.bin do you have, where did you get it?
I unpacked the image that was downloaded earlier from Amazon Japan this morning.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #34
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I unpacked the image that was downloaded earlier from Amazon Japan this morning.
OK, on your kindle, can you run the bist command, then the help command, i want to see if that gives any errors, and compare to my help command from within bist.

( ... means I snipped it )

Code:
uboot > bist
bist
HW

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Apr 04 2016 - 08:11:59)
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
POST done in 0 ms
Battery voltage: 3846 mV

bist > help
help
fastboot- Fastboot
loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
loads   - load S-Record file over serial line
loady   - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
bist >
Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #35
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
OK, on your kindle, can you run the bist command, then the help command, i want to see if that gives any errors, and compare to my help command from within bist.

( ... means I snipped it )

Code:
uboot > bist
bist
HW

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Apr 04 2016 - 08:11:59)
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
POST done in 0 ms
Battery voltage: 3846 mV

bist > help
help
fastboot- Fastboot
loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
loads   - load S-Record file over serial line
loady   - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
bist >
Nope.. 'bist' fails.

See, I posted here earlier...

Code:
uboot > bist

Warning: fail to get ext csd for MMC!
ERROR: couldn't switch to boot partition
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #36
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Nope.. 'bist' fails.

See, I posted here earlier...

Code:
uboot > bist

Warning: fail to get ext csd for MMC!
ERROR: couldn't switch to boot partition
and when you do that, it puts you at the
Code:
uboot >
prompt and not the
Code:
bist>
?

fastboot and the load[b/s/y] commands are all in the bist menu

Last edited by coplate; 06-08-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #37
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
and when you do that, it puts you have at the
Code:
uboot >
prompt?
I don't know what is 'I have' for..

the prompt showed again next line.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #38
coplate
Guru

I'm going to try something else, but while I do read through this.

fastboot download is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2000997

libusb drivers
http://libusb.info/

https://www.pinguino.cc/download/doc...b-windows7.pdf
download the bin package, nt the source package
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lib...0.zip/download

one tutorial

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2002101

this on describes how to create fastboot inf for kindle

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2001621

edit: also updated my previos post, to make sure of something]
Old 06-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No, you can not run 'bist' in the internal RAM, 'bist' requires more RAM than the SoC has.
You must get the external RAM running before you can load and run 'bist'.

You are restricted to the commands available to the 'mini-build' of uboot.
So list them and copy the result so we can see what you have to work with.

Note:
Just because I missed one fact in the print-out does not mean everything I wrote in that post was wrong.
No need to re-read it, I have just repeated myself here.

PS:
And put that thing on a charger before you trigger a self destruct situation in the eMMC:
battery voltage: 3846 mV

Last edited by knc1; 06-08-2017 at 11:44 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #40
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, you can not run 'bist' in the internal RAM, 'bist' requires more RAM than the SoC has.
You must get the external RAM running before you can load and run 'bist'.

You are restricted to the commands available to the 'mini-build' of uboot.
So list them and copy the result so we can see what you have to work with.

Note:
Just because I missed one fact in the print-out does not mean everything I wrote in that post was wrong.
No need to re-read it, I have just repeated myself here.
uboot > help
? - alias for 'help'
base - print or set address offset
bist - start Built In Self Test
boot - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootd - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootm - boot application image from memory
cmp - memory compare
coninfo - print console devices and information
cp - memory copy
crc32 - checksum calculation
go - start application at address 'addr'
help - print online help
idme - idme - Set nv ram variables

loop - infinite loop on address range
md - memory display
mm - memory modify (auto-incrementing address)
mtest - simple RAM read/write test
mw - memory write (fill)
nm - memory modify (constant address)
printenv- print environment variables
reset - Perform RESET of the CPU
run - run commands in an environment variable
setenv - set environment variables
version - print monitor version
Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #41
coplate
Guru

@knc1

I'm worried @Hexadecimal will need to us the 'mm' command to manually write in the new uboot, but i'm not sure that is even possible, i don't exactly know where this uboot is running from.

https://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootCmdGroupMemory

@Hexadecimal

since you have your kindle open, you could try to get that USB Boot active, that may let you reset everything, but we haven't figure out how to start it yet.

On the right hand side of the kindle board, below the serial port, there is a pad labelled USB Boot, but I have not had any luck on my side ( but I managed to rip all the pads off with a bad solder job )
Old 06-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #42
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
@knc1

I'm worried @Hexadecimal will need to us the 'mm' command to manually write in the new uboot, but i'm not sure that is even possible, i don't exactly know where this uboot is running from.

@Hexadecimal

since you have your kindle open, you could try to get that USB Boot active, that may let you reset everything, but we haven't figure out how to start it yet.

On the right hand side of the kindle board, below the serial port, there is a pad labelled USB Boot, but I have not had any luck on my side ( but I managed to rip all the pads off with a bad solder job )

I'm afraid so...
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #43
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now, post the output of:
printenv

Please try to keep in mind that you have a hardware model that has never been seen by anyone who has written prior posts.

I.E: You can't just presume that things like the memory map is the same on your PW3-32 and on the PW3-4.
That includes the memory locations of things like the 'diag' kernel.

= = = =

Please post the Japanese links to both the *.bin update package and the corresponding source code.
I (or somebody) needs to read the u-boot code for your model before you proceed any further.

We can not just assume that your mini-uboot build will run the same as the PW3-4 mini-uboot build!

- - - -

But if it does - -
You load the desired u-boot binary into RAM -
Execute it -
Then run 'Erase All' -
At the end of the erase the entire eMMC (and it does, just 'like new') that command will write a copy of the currently executing uboot (and the saved device specific data) to the erased eMMC.

Translate this:
DO NOT attempt the above steps until somebody has read the source code specific to your model to confirm that your build will behave the same.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1

@Hexadecimal

It is too big to type in.

See my post above -
At least the PW3-4 models have a built-in (non-obvious) way to write a copy of u-boot into the hardware write protected area of the eMMC.
We need to confirm in his source code that his device model does the same before it is tried.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #45
coplate
Guru

Related food for thought,

After playing with my broken PW, I have a suspicion that the usb boot mode may work only if the device has no battery. I know if I plug into my PC with the batter unhooked, something connects to the computer and then disconnects, and the light on the kindle starts flashing.

so @Hexadecimal, if you were going to try to trigger the usb boot somehow, you might try with that.

But I know there is a difference between USB Boot mode and USB download mode, I cannot remember what it is. It is possible this USB boot pad is mislabeled and actually triggers usb download, or it is also possible that its real usb boot.