Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
W H Smith fights back — 66% off top 100 ebooks

W H Smith is trying to compete with Amazon on price. They're now offering 66% off their top 100 ebooks. Even with this discount, they're still not always cheaper than Amazon, but they're getting closer.

e.g. Charlaine Harris's Dead in the Family is now £5.10 at W H Smith, but £5.08 at Amazon.

Similarly, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is £2.72 at W H Smith, but £2.68 at Amazon.

In their top 10, only one book is currently cheaper at W H Smith.

Hmm.. checking further, I think Amazon must be enforcing their 'can't offer it cheaper elsewhere' clauses. Nearly every book is £0.02 cheaper at Amazon!

Price Wars - good for consumers.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-15-2010 at 12:13 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Thanks for this, just been off to encourage WHSmiths, not worried about a 2 pence difference in price when the books i'm buying are under £3, 15 books for under £40 yippee!!

noticed that they are selling the PRS 300 for £99, £0.99 cheaper than Waterstones.

Go WHSmiths, (I prefer their website to Waterstones anyway)

BTW Its 35% off the top 100 fiction books
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne80 View Post
Thanks for this, just been off to encourage WHSmiths, not worried about a 2 pence difference in price when the books i'm buying are under £3, 15 books for under £40 yippee!!

noticed that they are selling the PRS 300 for £99, £0.99 cheaper than Waterstones.

Go WHSmiths, (I prefer their website to Waterstones anyway)

BTW Its 35% off the top 100 fiction books
It is 66% off the top 100 ebooks but they haven't changed their 35% banner advert yet. Further down the page all the top 100 have a 66% discount showing.
I also prefer WH Smith's to Waterstones as well but since Borders AU opened up there's no real incentive to buy from the UK unless they have one of these 50% or more off sale.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Wow, some of those prices are cheap compared to the US. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo works out to be $4.24 US, where as from US retailers it is $7.14 at the cheapest.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
At least they have responded. That's good.

I wonder what Waterstone's will do, their prices are ridiculus even compared to WH Smith. They would have to make big reductions just to be approaching decent prices.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Wow, some of those prices are cheap compared to the US. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo works out to be $4.24 US, where as from US retailers it is $7.14 at the cheapest.
That one seems to have always been cheap whenever I have noticed it. Maybe because they are selling so many they can't count fast enough to keep up?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That's encouraging news because competition is always a good thing for the consumer. I have as a US citizen actually bought a few titles from WH Smith before that I couldn't get here. I remember have to throw the whole shebang at them though to circumvent the Geographic restrictions .. a VPN server, a faked London address, purchase of a gift card...
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
There's no "agency pricing" in the UK, so very often book prices are lower than the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
This probably should have been in the deals section, not the news section. Anyway, thanks. I didn't think I wanted to buy more books right now, but the prices were insanely cheap. I got three books for 8.22 pounds (around $12.83) which would have cost $34 from American stores. And given that I'm overseas, I wouldn't be able to buy them there either. I used a VPN to make the purchases (thank goodness I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who and have a VPN to be able to watch the show) and I apparently now live at a hotel in London. :P

Anyway, thanks for the deal.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I keep getting a checkout error: "We're sorry, but one or more required checkout fields have been left blank." But I've filled every possible field in! Grrrrr

Edit....my mistake--I had set the wrong credit card type. Doh!

Last edited by ShellShock; 08-14-2010 at 01:59 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no "agency pricing" in the UK, so very often book prices are lower than the US.
Even before the agency pricing took effect, prices on hot sellers like that were always closer to the $10 mark.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Similarly, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is £2.72 at W H Smith, but £2.68 at Amazon.
Wow.

Now I feel like an idiot for buying it a couple of weeks ago when it was 'only' 35% off...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
At least they have responded. That's good.

I wonder what Waterstone's will do, their prices are ridiculus even compared to WH Smith. They would have to make big reductions just to be approaching decent prices.
I agree! I find Waterstones to be way overpriced. I'm delighted that the 'Amazon effect' is starting to filter through to the UK market.

But it pays to shop around. I saw 'The Help' by K. Stockett priced at £2.79 on Kobo and it's at least £5 everywhere else in UK. Who said competition wasn't good?!
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hols57 View Post
But it pays to shop around. I saw 'The Help' by K. Stockett priced at £2.79 on Kobo and it's at least £5 everywhere else in UK. Who said competition wasn't good?!
It's £2.76 at Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It does pay to shop around but I really think that amazon has got all the other store (minus waterstones) on their toes, so that can only be a good thing for all of us.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote