Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-12-2022, 05:37 AM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Property or Method not found: ParaStyleName

Hello, I get this error (Property or Method not found: ParaStyleName) when converting the attached file from ODT to EPUB with Open Office and Writer2Epub. I know both programs are old and discontinued, but I'm used to working with them.
Anyone knows what the issue is?

Thank you in advance

EDIT: Fixed. W2E's temporary window got stuck on a line that says if oTextElement.ParaStyleName = "Table Heading" then, so I figured it had something to do with tables, and after some trial and error I located the issue in some tables that seemed to be one inside the other - Open Office's navigator showed two tables, but there was only one. I fixed those and all went smoothly.

Last edited by 1v4n0; 11-12-2022 at 11:40 AM.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
1) Open Office is dead. Upgrade to LibreOffice (Versions 5.x, 6.x or 7.x are OK depending on PC and OS)

2) Writer2Epub is also on older Libre Office, but now LO Writer has epub built in. It's still rubbish compared to docx to Calibre from an ODT with Save As. Last 32 bit Calibre is 5.44 and is fine for docx to epub. Even Calibre 3.44 and LO 5.x (extra docx Save As) is far better than OOWriter and Writer2Epub (XP or ancient 32 bit Linux)

3) Do edit in odt, but an extra Save As on docx format. Converting docx in Calibre works far better than odt.

4) If Calibre is on a different Computer without the same fonts, then before Save As in docx go Properties and embed the fonts.

I did use Writer2Epub on Open Office and one version of Libre Office Writer. It's rubbish compared to Sigil or Calibre (even from odt to Calibre, but an extra Save As in docx to Calibre is best).

There is a good reason both are discontinued. Don't flog a dead horse!

I've used Word (2.0a, 95, XP, 2003 & 2007), Open Office and Libre Office on Windows. Used Calibre since before 3.48 on XP.
Switched entirely to LO + Calibre on Windows, then on Linux. Maybe over 900 conversions from odt via extra docx Save As to epub, azw3 & mobi, and over 5000 conversions to epub from mobi or azw3.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-12-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Hello, I get this error (Property or Method not found: ParaStyleName) when converting the attached file from ODT to EPUB with Open Office and Writer2Epub. I know both programs are old and discontinued, but I'm used to working with them.

Thank you in advance
My guess is that you have a paragraph style name referenced in the document but that is not defined...or you didn't give a style a name but it is being used in the document.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Thanks both, I fixed it. See edit.

MASSIVE OT
As for @Quoth's lengthy answer, I totally saw that coming and I respectfully disagree. I don't think there is much need to update to newer techniques (or technologies). Books are extremely simple objects, and they have remained basically the same since the 1500s - and so has the way people interact with them. I have found a routine for making ebooks that works for me, and the final product is perfectly fine - I know because I have read many of "my" books, many retail ebooks, and many printed books (back when), and they all were just that - books. Lots of words and little else, and code-wise a bunch of <p>s with some <h1>s. I guess at some point the tools I use will become so obsolete that they won't even run on any computer, but until then the only reason I see for upgrading is to make some mental stretching, as it were.

And if all this makes me sound like a grumpy old guy, it's probably because I am
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
That's fine. I don't usually use "latest versions". Let other people be the guinea pigs on the bleeding edge.
I did use OO Writer. I have used Writer2epub and found too much CSS was poor match to the original styles.
Glad it's working for you.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 03:06 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
EDIT: Fixed. [...] after some trial and error I located the issue in some tables that seemed to be one inside the other [...]. I fixed those and all went smoothly.
Glad to see you solved your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
1) Open Office is dead. Upgrade to LibreOffice [...]
Yes. OpenOffice has been abandoned for over 12 years.

LibreOffice has been getting:
  • Major updates every 6 months
    • 7.3 -> 7.4
  • Minor updates every month
    • 7.4.1 -> 7.4.2

and there's been TONS of:
  • new features
  • performance upgrades
  • compatibility + bug fixes

For example, just within the past few years, there's been major improvements to the:

(There's been thousands of features + bugs fixed since the OpenOffice days.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
3) Do edit in odt, but an extra Save As on docx format. Converting docx in Calibre works far better than odt.
Yes, do all your editing in ODT, then:
  • Save a copy as DOCX
  • + convert DOCX->EPUB using Calibre.

Calibre's DOCX->EPUB conversion is better/cleaner than ODT->EPUB.

The #1 most important thing you can learn though:
  • Learn to use Styles!!!

A clean source document will mean a much cleaner converted document, saving you lots and lots of future headaches.

- - -

If you want to learn more, see my:

and, most recently, all the posts/tips/tutorials I wrote in:

(The past year, nearly every single day, I've been over in the LibreOffice subreddit writing lots of helpful tips.)

- - -

Quote:
And if all this makes me sound like a grumpy old guy, it's probably because I am
Stop being a curmudgeon and join us in the 21st century!

Stick with the times, old man!!!

Put down that tablet and chisel, wipe the dust off the ol' fingers, and join us in our flying cars!!!

(Okay, okay, maybe that last one was a little too far. )

Quote:
I get this error [...] when converting the attached file from ODT to EPUB with Open Office and Writer2Epub. I know both programs are old and discontinued, but I'm used to working with them.
Probably using tools from a billion years ago!

Seriously though, start using LibreOffice + more modern conversion methods. I promise, it's not scary.

And if you use Styles consistently... bing, bang, boom, your LibreOffice -> Ebook files will be a piece of cake.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-14-2022 at 03:17 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote