Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Susie
Susie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Cannot access eBookstore

Hello, I'm new here and I'm shamed to say that I joined for the purpose of getting help with my prs-505.

So, here's the deal.
I open up the eBook Library and go to the eBook Store. I get a "Page Not Available" error. So I try again. And again. And again. Eventually I get a different error telling me to check my internet connection. Finally, I get to the eBook Store. I am able to log in. Then, I get another error about my internet connection. This continues on and on.

I've already tried disabling my firewall and anti-virus. I'm tried the DEP thing. I've tried renaming my folder that started with a k(can't recall actual name). I simply do not know what to do.
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Hello, I'm new here and I'm shamed to say that I joined for the purpose of getting help with my prs-505.
Hi Susie... no shame in that... many join here at first for help with a specific issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
I open up the eBook Library and go to the eBook Store. I get a "Page Not Available" error. So I try again. And again. And again. Eventually I get a different error telling me to check my internet connection. Finally, I get to the eBook Store. I am able to log in. Then, I get another error about my internet connection. This continues on and on.
I am going to guess that this is not your problem, and that the Sony servers are probably overwhelmed with Christmas load. I assume you have no problems with your internet connection at other sites. I say this because if you have been able to connect and login at one time it should work all the tiem... and points to a server side issue on Sony's part.

One thing you might try is to just browse the ebook store with your browser. http://ebookstore.sony.com/ However, I go there and it does seem ok... but I didn't see any issues... but really just brought up the front page.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hi Susie... no shame in that... many join here at first for help with a specific issue.

I am going to guess that this is not your problem, and that the Sony servers are probably overwhelmed with Christmas load. I assume you have no problems with your internet connection at other sites. I say this because if you have been able to connect and login at one time it should work all the tiem... and points to a server side issue on Sony's part.

One thing you might try is to just browse the ebook store with your browser. http://ebookstore.sony.com/ However, I go there and it does seem ok... but I didn't see any issues... but really just brought up the front page.

BOb
That isn't it, we just loaded my mom's this morning with no issues.

Susie, did you check the pamphlet that came with your reader? It has a few extra troubleshooting tips for ebookstore.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Susie
Susie began at the beginning.

Thanks everyone for your help!
It seems it must have been some problem that wasn't on my end like pilotbob suggested. I was able to log onto the ebook store today! Hope everyone had a happy holiday and thanks again.
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
jlafloridausa
jlafloridausa began at the beginning.

Can't access Sony e-book library store

I bought a Sony PRS-505 and after loading the the e-book library version 2.2 and then trying to access the e-book library to download books, I received the message "Unable to access ebook store". Has anyone experienced the same problem and how did they resolve it.
jlafloridausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
hi jlafloridausa,
thats my problem, too - since Christmas.
Just wait for Sony to do something.
Regards
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I to was dealt the same blow with the Sony/Border store via Sony's eBook Library software. I could view the Sony book store in a normal web browser, but I received the dreaded "unable to connect" error everytime I tried to access it via Sony's software. After many hours of strife and unsuccessful solutions via Sony's "customer service (if you can call it that)" what I found was this; removing the "Norton Add-on Pack: Antispam, Parental Controls, and Confidential Information Blocking" resolved the problem. Just to be sure, I performed a clean installation of Norton and Sony's Software. As soon as I reinstalled Norton's Add-on Pack I then received the "unable to connect..." error. So in the end, here's what you need to do: uninstall system security to make Sony happy, or boycott all purchases from Sony's Digitally restricted content. Purchase elsewhere and avoid Sony's store like the plague.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
GrizzWaul
GrizzWaul began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Abisha is right. In Norton 360 I had to deactivate the Pop-up blocker in the Add-on section.
GrizzWaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I finally got my Sony PRS-700 yesterday. I downloaded the software for the eBook Library and have been successfully able to transfer files to my reader using the library software. My problem is that it will not connect with the Sony eBookstore. I get the "PAGE NOT AVAILABLE" error message. Followed by: The page you are trying to access is unavailable. Please try again later or contact customer service. I've followed all of the troubleshooting measures suggested. I've uninstalled and re-installed. If I go direct to the Sony eBookstore site it tells me to download the software, which I've already done. On the eBook Library window under Help/ About Help it says "Not authorized for the eBook store", but nowhere does it give me the opportunity to register my computer for the store. My reader is registered with Sony, but I'm guessing that's not the same as registering for the store.

Is this the same problem others are having or something different. I haven't contacted Sony directly. I though I'd get a quicker and better response from the forum. Can you help????
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I finally got my Sony PRS-700 yesterday. I downloaded the software for the eBook Library and have been successfully able to transfer files to my reader using the library software. My problem is that it will not connect with the Sony eBookstore. I get the "PAGE NOT AVAILABLE" error message. Followed by: The page you are trying to access is unavailable. Please try again later or contact customer service. I've followed all of the troubleshooting measures suggested. I've uninstalled and re-installed. If I go direct to the Sony eBookstore site it tells me to download the software, which I've already done. On the eBook Library window under Help/ About Help it says "Not authorized for the eBook store", but nowhere does it give me the opportunity to register my computer for the store. My reader is registered with Sony, but I'm guessing that's not the same as registering for the store.

Is this the same problem others are having or something different. I haven't contacted Sony directly. I though I'd get a quicker and better response from the forum. Can you help????
The problem is that there seem to be a lot of reasons this is happening. Slow internet connection, DEP settings, firewalls, antivirus, etc. Someone mention right clicking the ebooklibrary icon on your desktop and selecting troubleshoot, but I haven't seen that. My recommendation is to give Sony tech support a call (second level).
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I had a similar problem and Sony Tech Support solved it fine. Had some setting or other wrong on my laptop. Now the bookstore comes up fine.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The problem is that there seem to be a lot of reasons this is happening. Slow internet connection, DEP settings, firewalls, antivirus, etc. Someone mention right clicking the ebooklibrary icon on your desktop and selecting troubleshoot, but I haven't seen that. My recommendation is to give Sony tech support a call (second level).
So, I've been reading! I've done the DEP thing and adjusted firewall settings. Our wireless signal strength is excellent, but I don't know if that equates with speed of connection? I've got a call into my ISP, because I have a hefty, child-proof filter for our computers. They said that it's possible that that could be the problem. We'll see?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've got a call into my ISP, because I have a hefty, child-proof filter for our computers. They said that it's possible that that could be the problem. We'll see?
Can you browse the ebook store with your web browser? If so, it's not any ISP filters.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, I've been reading! I've done the DEP thing and adjusted firewall settings. Our wireless signal strength is excellent, but I don't know if that equates with speed of connection? I've got a call into my ISP, because I have a hefty, child-proof filter for our computers. They said that it's possible that that could be the problem. We'll see?
Connection and speed are different. If it's cable though, I doubt it would be the connection.

Did you try the right click troubleshoot thing?