Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #31
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a Paperwhite 4 arriving today for my GF - excited to see/use it in person vs the Voyage I still have next to me (for now)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #32
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Interesting - thx for sharing.

Do you do a large percentage of reading at night/low light?

I find myself wondering how big of a thing it could be to have the warmer light since most all of my reading is dark/night situations.
I use the device light less than 5% of the time. I prefer sunlight or a lamp. I leave the device light on its minimal setting, but not off, so if I am in the dark I can see the screen well enough to turn the light higher. That is another software fail: need a way to turn the light on without the light being on!

I did not think the warm light gimmick was worth paying full price for an O3, and thought the discounted O2 price was a great deal. I can fall asleep mid chapter Kindle in hand, so the blue light obviously doesnt harm my sleep!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I wasn't really very happy with the Voyage because for some reason I was always touching the screen by mistake and turning the page when I didn't mean to. It happened a lot.
Barry
Quote:
Barry, I have to say that I completely agree with this after a few days of using the Voyage for the first time ever.

It is totally maddening that there is no software option to disable page turns from touching the screen.
I had a little trouble with that also. But I got a nice, inexpensive, leather-like case for it and have no trouble with it at all now. It puts the bezel at a different level than the case and gives me a way to hold it comfortably. I like the page turn "buttons" a lot. The screen quality is very good. I don't have a PW4 (and won't get one as long as the Voyage works well) so I can't really compare the two. I would like to see new Voyage (just as it is) except with the "warm" lighting feature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #34
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PW4 has arrived..
Very nice device. I love the feel and the rubberized soft touch back..

Immediately I fired up the same page and same settings on both the Voyage and the PW4..

The Voyage is absolutely sharper and clearer - not a contest.

That said, I think the PW4 is certainly "fine" and very good, particularly at the price point where it lives.

I do find the touchscreen to be awfully sensitive near the edges. I was just trying to hold it and read a couple pages to get the feel and I already had an unintended page turn. I wish they had a way to tweak that with the software.

Can you tell the PW4 to only responds to swipes and not just touches?
If so, how? (my GF will like that I'm sure)
Old 11-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Can you tell the PW4 to only responds to swipes and not just touches?
With a book open, tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner, select Disable Touchscreen. Then only a swipe will turn the page.

That option is turned off when the device goes to sleep, so you need to select it each reading session.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #36
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
With a book open, tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner, select Disable Touchscreen. Then only a swipe will turn the page.

That option is turned off when the device goes to sleep, so you need to select it each reading session.
Thanks. Not sure how useful that will be for her.

That is a incredibly frustrating half measure of an implementation.
Come on Amazon - do better
Old 11-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #37
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Thanks. Not sure how useful that will be for her.

That is a incredibly frustrating half measure of an implementation.
Come on Amazon - do better
It's a touch screen...if the option stayed enabled, you couldn't swipe the screen to wake it up.

You can't enable that option for the home screen either. It only takes two tabs to enable it, it's not hard.

I've always wondered how many people use the option.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #38
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It's a touch screen...if the option stayed enabled, you couldn't swipe the screen to wake it up.

You can't enable that option for the home screen either. It only takes two tabs to enable it, it's not hard.
In software you could still allow touches to work on the top where it activates the menu.

Also in software, it would be nice if they had some options to not allow touches to register within a quarter inch of the border all the way around. That would also solve the problem.

Amazons software is really lacking in flexibility around page turn customization
Old 11-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #39
bookyboy
Addict

The Voyage seems a bit faster/snappier to me.
That surprises me (just based upon age) - but perhaps it shouldn't?
Old 11-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #40
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Also in software, it would be nice if they had some options to not allow touches to register within a quarter inch of the border all the way around. That would also solve the problem.
How would that work if you wanted to look up a word that was close to the edge, or highlight something that starts or ends at the edge of the page, or had a footnote that happens to be at the edge of the page?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #41
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
How would that work if you wanted to look up a word that was close to the edge, or highlight something that starts or ends at the edge of the page, or had a footnote that happens to be at the edge of the page?

Shari
It wouldn't - that's why it'd be a usability choice/option

Kobo somehow accomplishes this IIRC

You can enable only swipes for page turns (not just taps) but selecting stuff to look up, etc, is still possible.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #42
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
That is another software fail: need a way to turn the light on without the light being on!
That's funny. The Nook GLP 7.8 can turn the light on and off by holding the Nook button down for 2 seconds. Finally something the Nook did right.

I know this is a Kindle discussion. I loved my Voyage until it died. I hated my PW4. That's how I ended up with a Nook.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #43
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I leave the device light on its minimal setting, but not off, so if I am in the dark I can see the screen well enough to turn the light higher. That is another software fail: need a way to turn the light on without the light being on!
The first Paperwhite models did just this: zero had a very low light, not off. People complained, so they changed it so zero was really off.

I don't think they can win this one
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #44
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
I do find the touchscreen to be awfully sensitive near the edges. I was just trying to hold it and read a couple pages to get the feel and I already had an unintended page turn. I wish they had a way to tweak that with the software.
[/I]
Maybe this sounds odd since it's not a "learning device", but mine has grown less sensitive over time. I had the same problem for awhile where it turned accidentally or where it would quickly flip through several pages at once and skip too far ahead. It doesn't do that now, I'm not sure if it just grew less sensitive through use or it was an update that fixed it.

Did you fully update your device to the current version? I've had plenty of devices arrive without the newer updates installed.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #45
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The first Paperwhite models did just this: zero had a very low light, not off. People complained, so they changed it so zero was really off.

I don't think they can win this one
The win would be a way to turn the light on that doesnt need light to see by. As mentioned, the nook has a way of doing this. Btw- I love nook hardware! As it is now, the light on its lowest setting works well enough, and since you can turn it completely off I guess that is also a win. Until I accidentally turn the light off in a dark room at least. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote