Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The new Paperwhite does have the option to disable touches. The screen won't react to any touch whatever but it will respond to swipes. Since I always swipe to turn pages anyway that should be ideal for me but it requires putting it to sleep and waking it up to turn that off if I want to do something with a menu or look up a word, so I don't use it.

If it would just stop turning pages on touch that would be ideal. However, I don't really have the problem of accidentally turning pages with the new Paperwhite.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #17
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The new Paperwhite does have the option to disable touches. The screen won't react to any touch whatever but it will respond to swipes. Since I always swipe to turn pages anyway that should be ideal for me but it requires putting it to sleep and waking it up to turn that off if I want to do something with a menu or look up a word, so I don't use it.
That is some frustrating software "lack of design" by Amazon
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Barry, I have to say that I completely agree with this after a few days of using the Voyage for the first time ever.

It is totally maddening that there is no software option to disable page turns from touching the screen.
yep. I am getting pretty good having my thumbs hang off the outside of the bezel to avoid unwanted page turns, but I will still do it 2 or 3 times per hour of reading on the Voyage. It definitely needs a way to turn off tap page turns when the bezels are so small. However, I have the same problem with the paper white, maybe even more so, because when using my left hand to hold it I don't reach far enough over and end up a page back by mistake. So on the paper white I get unintentional page turns AND wrong way page turns.

Last edited by Tomk2; 11-23-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #19
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Tomk2 - lol

I'm laughing with you, not at you, by the way..

It actually makes me think that the PW3 might be better due to the screen being recessed a bit, but that model is quite a bit heavier unfortunately.

They just need way more work on the Kindle software. It'd be great to have software specify 1/4-1/2" all around the edge of the screen as "no touch response" zones so you could comfortably grip those narrow bezels.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #20
bookyboy
Addict

I'm contemplating trading in this Voyage and trying to time it all up with a Black Friday sale on the O3, + the $50 credit + the 25% off - makes it a very compelling all in price under $100 USD to go from Voyage to O3

Would you guys do that?

The O3 form factor is a non-starter for many in the Voyage/PW club I'd imagine - totally understand that angle.
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I would. I like the form factor, the larger screen and the physical buttons. I was never particularly fond of the Voyage form factor (tiny bezels). Of course there are many people who think otherwise.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

If it would just stop turning pages on touch that would be ideal. However, I don't really have the problem of accidentally turning pages with the new Paperwhite.

Barry
Another thing Amazon stole from Kobo. It seems that Amazon cannot come up with good ideas and has to steal them from Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #23
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another thing Amazon stole from Kobo. It seems that Amazon cannot come up with good ideas and has to steal them from Kobo.
I wish they would steal some more of the customization that Kobo allows.

Honestly I don’t give a lick who steals from who as a user, I just want all the features deployed on as much hardware as possible.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I wish they would steal some more of the customization that Kobo allows.

Honestly I don’t give a lick who steals from who as a user, I just want all the features deployed on as much hardware as possible.
Buy a Kobo and you have it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #25
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buy a Kobo and you have it.
Sure...as soon as Kobo steals some of Amazon’s knowledge on how to make an even front light and one without a weird band along the handle.

See how this works?

They both have their issues (unfortunately)

Last edited by bookyboy; 11-23-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 AM   #26
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
The O3 form factor is a non-starter for many in the Voyage/PW club I'd imagine - totally understand that angle.
I have never used a Voyage but I really like my Oasis 3. It fits my hands well, I find it comfortable to hold and the screen is fine for my use. I don't take it outside the house, so the larger size is not a problem for me. I really like the page turn buttons.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #27
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
@Tomk2 - lol

I'm laughing with you, not at you, by the way..

It actually makes me think that the PW3 might be better due to the screen being recessed a bit, but that model is quite a bit heavier unfortunately.

They just need way more work on the Kindle software. It'd be great to have software specify 1/4-1/2" all around the edge of the screen as "no touch response" zones so you could comfortably grip those narrow bezels.
The PW3 feels the same to me as the 4, they both feel lightweight. I know specs are a little lighter for the 4 but not where I can tell a difference when they're in my hand.

I agree with you that I wish they'd keep tweaking the software.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #28
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
I'm contemplating trading in this Voyage and trying to time it all up with a Black Friday sale on the O3, + the $50 credit + the 25% off - makes it a very compelling all in price under $100 USD to go from Voyage to O3

Would you guys do that?

That's a tough decision. I like the discount and the trade in cash. My Oasis 2 is growing on me the more I use it. The battery seems to drain faster than my Voyage and Paperwhite. I got my O2 for $150 a month or so ago, and my Voyage refurbished from Woot for $69 around the same time. I think my Voyage is still my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #29
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
That's a tough decision. I like the discount and the trade in cash. My Oasis 2 is growing on me the more I use it. The battery seems to drain faster than my Voyage and Paperwhite. I got my O2 for $150 a month or so ago, and my Voyage refurbished from Woot for $69 around the same time. I think my Voyage is still my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Interesting - thx for sharing.

Do you do a large percentage of reading at night/low light?

I find myself wondering how big of a thing it could be to have the warmer light since most all of my reading is dark/night situations.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #30
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm glad Kindle has the Kindle ?, Paperwhite 4, and Oasis 3. It's nice to have choices that run from $60, today, to $350. Me? I prefer the Paperwhite 4 at $104, today. I had a Voyage and gave it to a college student who wanted a Kindle and had no money. I bought an Oasis 3, used it for two days and sent it back.

But, more than anything, it's the source of books I want to read that drives that device I get. As long as I get the books I want and the device works well, I'm happy. I know I'm spoiled now. It has to have a front light, has to have a touch screen, I prefer not having buttons, it has to have a normal, book-style cover, and it has to fit in my pocket for short stints. With that, and the books I want, I'm good to go.

When I get a new Kindle I get rid of my old ones. Right now I have two Kindle Paperwhite 4 and my old ones go to young students or old guys living on Social Security.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote