Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: For Night Reading which would you pick?
Kindle Paperwhite 12 23.53%
Kindle Voyage 35 68.63%
Put your nan up for adoption - it'll be cheaper 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
emmabee
Connoisseur
emmabee doesn't litteremmabee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Night Reading Kindle Paperwhite vs Voyage

We are thinking of maybe giving my nan's new Kindle (basic) to my niece & getting her a Voyage or Paperwhite instead.
Because she doesn't like that it isn't "the one with the wee light...." despite us saying are you sure you don't want the one with the light before we got it.

So in order to not get this wrong should we get a Voyage or a PaperWhite? I know it's subjective but if you're looking at it from the point of view of doing a lot of night reading & no outdoor reading at all what do you think?

Last edited by emmabee; 08-01-2015 at 03:58 PM.
emmabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If she is just worried about it having a light, I don't think it's really worth spending the extra cash on the Voyage. It is the premium reader aimed at people who want the absolute best experience, the Paperwhite should be just fine for her.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
PW3 Save you money! Check them out they both the same! Except for the page turns & light thingy, which I would find a pain!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Go with the Paperwhite. I had the voyage(broke it) & while I liked it, I really think the latest Paperwhite is just fine. And a lot cheaper.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
emmabee
Connoisseur

I'm fully aware that there is a price difference.

I'm interested if anyone who has had both would be able to shed light on the specifics of the pros & cons of their respective lighting for night reading. Thanks heaps
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have both. I read with both. I alternate them. My first comment is your Nan will be delighted to know the light isn't just for night reading. It's useful during the day, too.

The Voyage screen is a bit brighter but for my the Paperwhite is bright enough. I don't like the haptic buttons on the Voyage so I have them turned off. I do like the surface of the Voyage being glass all the way across.

I prefer reading the Paperwhite in bed. It's a bit larger and easier for me to hold onto and I live in Mexico and haven't been able to get a case I like. I do not like the Origami flip over the top and stand up if you read at a table case.

I don't know where you are but if you have the thirty-day return policy get both and see which Nan likes.

If I could only have one Kindle it would be the Paperwhite. But, HarryT who knows a lot about Kindles and is a smart guy prefers the Voyage. It really does come down to personal preference.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How about taking Nan out to see them! Most Best Buys sell them & would have them on display! And even if you buy one at BB Amazon will still take it back if something happened or within 30 days if she didn't like it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
emmabee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have both. I read with both. I alternate them. My first comment is your Nan will be delighted to know the light isn't just for night reading. It's useful during the day, too.

The Voyage screen is a bit brighter but for my the Paperwhite is bright enough. I don't like the haptic buttons on the Voyage so I have them turned off. I do like the surface of the Voyage being glass all the way across.

I prefer reading the Paperwhite in bed. It's a bit larger and easier for me to hold onto and I live in Mexico and haven't been able to get a case I like. I do not like the Origami flip over the top and stand up if you read at a table case.

I don't know where you are but if you have the thirty-day return policy get both and see which Nan likes.

If I could only have one Kindle it would be the Paperwhite. But, HarryT who knows a lot about Kindles and is a smart guy prefers the Voyage. It really does come down to personal preference.
Thanks Patrick appreciated
I'm in the UK, there is no 30 day return here unless it's faulty or unopened (sealed in box). Nothing can be resold as new once it has been opened by the customer in the UK, it's illegal They have to sell any returns that are opened as secondhand.
We will be buying online, nothing is getting sent back. And we not concerened about cases or buttons.

I'm interested in hearing about the light differences between the two for night reading.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The difference is that the light on the Voyage can go brighter than the PW3. But that's irrelevant as a light brighter than the PW3 at maximum is too bright. I've seen the PW3 in person and the light level is just fine for reading in low light or the dark.

As for using the light during the day, no need overall. Usually you'll have good enough light to see the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for using the light during the day, no need overall. Usually you'll have good enough light to see the screen.
When I am reading from my Voyage indoors, even near a window, I prefer some light from the screen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have the Kindle Voyage and 2nd generation Paperwhite. I have seen the Paperwhite 3. I would recommend the Voyage for day or night reading, not because of the higher level of brightness, but because the contrast on the Voyage is better and easier for older eyes. Because of the lighting on the screens, the Voyage may have some degree of yellow tint at the top and the Paperwhite may have smudges at the bottom but looking at the reviews for both devices, this is either not common or most people aren't bothered by it. The Voyage is a little smaller and may be more difficult to hold. I hope that your Nan loves whichever device you choose for her.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
emmabee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
I have the Kindle Voyage and 2nd generation Paperwhite. I have seen the Paperwhite 3. I would recommend the Voyage for day or night reading, not because of the higher level of brightness, but because the contrast on the Voyage is better and easier for older eyes. Because of the lighting on the screens, the Voyage may have some degree of yellow tint at the top and the Paperwhite may have smudges at the bottom but looking at the reviews for both devices, this is either not common or most people aren't bothered by it. The Voyage is a little smaller and may be more difficult to hold. I hope that your Nan loves whichever device you choose for her.
This is really helpful, I've heard reports about the light on the Voyage being a little bluer than the light on the Paperwhite 3. Bearing in mind that it's recommended to avoid blue light before bed. I'm interested in your opinion on which is bluer.
Also does anyone know, does one have a backlight & one a front light or are they both frontlit?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
When I am reading from my Voyage indoors, even near a window, I prefer some light from the screen.
I don't use the light on my H2O except when it's low enough light or in the dark.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee View Post
Also does anyone know, does one have a backlight & one a front light or are they both frontlit?
eInk cannot have a back light as the light does not shine through the screen. You can only have a front light.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
emmabee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eInk cannot have a back light as the light does not shine through the screen. You can only have a front light.
I didn't realise that (I use an android device myself). Thank you.