Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
KPW1 Author sort is backwards

Hi

I've not changed my Calibre setup for months; maybe even years. I'm using a plugboard which reformats the author's name, and puts the series in there too. This is the data in Calibre:

Author: Lastname, Firstname
Author_Sort: Lastname, Firstname
Series: Great Series [1]

The plugboard removes the comma and space from the Authors field, replacing it with an underscore. (If you don't, the Kindle will sort by last name, but will display Firstname Lastname, which I find very irritating.)

During sideloading, the author field will become this:

Lastname_Firstname (Great Series 01)

This works as intended, and shows up correctly on the Kindle home screen, but strangely enough, the Kindle is sorting backwards. The last book in the series is at the top, instead of at the bottom.

What could be the cause of this? I don't know when this started, as I have not been reading series for a while.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-08-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I think this problem has been solved. It must have been some data out of whack, somewhere. To be sure, I redid the series:

- Remove the AZW3 files.
- Check the metadata.
- Update the metadata (making sure that "Automatically set author sort" was on)
- Removed soft-hyphens to be sure there are none (I don't use them with EPUBs)
- Recreated the AZW3 files and redid soft-hyphens for them
- Sideloaded the series

Now it sorts correctly, so something must have been off.

Oh, and the Kindle Paperwhite 1 converts '&' into 'and', at least in the Authors field. Never saw that before. I don't know if it has been so by default, or added by a newer firmware.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Always done that -- the actual separator data IIRC is a ";" which calibre usually inserts for you, except you are using a template. You will need to use a re() to fix that pronto...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't use Calibe for collection But I Always put mine on Last, First .... Makes it easy to find esp on the Amazon Phone.

Why would this be a bad thing? Just wondering...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It isn't complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The plugboard removes the comma and space from the Authors field, replacing it with an underscore. (If you don't, the Kindle will sort by last name, but will display Firstname Lastname, which I find very irritating.)
(bold+underline mine)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert