Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
derball2008
derball2008 doesn't litterderball2008 doesn't litter

Device: none
Reader for textbooks, 9.7" vs. 8", M92 vs M96 vs I86

Hi there,

I am interested in buying an ebook reader and have been following the discussions about ebook readers for about one month. To be honest, I am not even sure if I really need/ want an ebook reader or if I just make myself believe that I need one :/ I was hoping for your advice and opinion here.

Most of the stuff I read as a PDF file on the computer are textbooks on technology (e. g. programming books, SW-Engineering, etc. like [Link deleted - MODERATOR] and other freely available textbooks/ references available as PDF). The books I read in the past were mostly textbooks/ non-fictional books. Occasionally, I read novels and fictional books too. But mostly books in the first two categories.

As stated here I was looking forward to the Onyx M96 being released. The first impressions don't seem to be that good though. Now I am considering going buying to its predecessor M92 again. [Note: I've never owned an ebook reader before] I read somewhere that Onyx is also releasing an 8 inch reader I86 with a resolution of 1600x1200 and the people were saying that's a good compromise too. Now I am even more unsure which one I should buy.
I read that 9.7 inch would be the best size for my demands. How about the I86? It's just been announced and not released yet.

Could you give me a recommendation based on what I described?

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-13-2014 at 09:17 AM.
derball2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
8" e-ink reader should be good enough for about A5 sized scanned pdf in portraite mode zoomed without margins (the majority of paper books there are about that size), or in landscape mode and for A4 multi-column pdfs.

Front light is the main reason for me to buy 8" e-ink though.

9.7" readers like Kindle Dx(with installed KPV reader thereon) or M92 are very good for any A4 sized pdf zoomed in landscape mode, with or without margins.

Flipping through pdf pages at about one second per e-ink screen is probably quick enough for the majority of users there, but a lot of users are probably still not happy with its handwriting and highlighting speed and capabilities, compared to tablets.

Last edited by markom; 06-12-2014 at 08:07 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert