Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Amazon's new DRM-free MP3 store

Check out this article:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...sic-store.html

While not technically about e-books, it has a lot of interesting things (not that we do not know them by and large) about e-content. For example:

"There are a few restrictions. One of the biggest is that there's no redownloading of tracks; you'd better make a backup, because if you lose a song, you'll have to purchase it again to get another copy. Such a policy has an obvious analogue to Amazon's CD sales. If you purchase a Tim McGraw CD and your NPR-loving uncle "accidentally" cracks the disk in two, you are out of luck; Amazon won't send you another copy. In this sense, then, music downloads are treated like physical property.

But they are not property. In fact, what you have purchased is only a "non-exclusive, non-transferable license" to each song. Because you have not actually purchased something physical, Amazon's terms of service explicitly forbid both re-selling and lending. With a CD, of course, you can do both quite legally. Digital downloads can be cheaper and more convenient, but there's no legal way to extract value from them when your tastes in music change. Caveat emptor."
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for that. Well worth checking out.

On the subject of interesting articles in arstechnica check out this one on the next generation of Intel chicps for ultramobiles

[EDIT: oh and here's another one - this time about the AACS content protection system for High Definition Video]

Last edited by andym; 09-26-2007 at 10:54 AM.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Let's hope they are going to do this in the future with ebooks as well, DRM-free I mean...

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
But they are not property. In fact, what you have purchased is only a "non-exclusive, non-transferable license" to each song. Because you have not actually purchased something physical, Amazon's terms of service explicitly forbid both re-selling and lending. With a CD, of course, you can do both quite legally. Digital downloads can be cheaper and more convenient, but there's no legal way to extract value from them when your tastes in music change. Caveat emptor."
Sounds like an obligatory public service message some editor asked to be added: "Be a good citizen, don't copy and give away files!" As they pointed out, the music market pretty much knows the drill already. So do we.

The "Caveat Emptor" bit was cute...

Anyway, if this is how Amazon plans to sell music, we can only hope that they will follow the same methods when selling e-books.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Sounds like an obligatory public service message some editor asked to be added: "Be a good citizen, don't copy and give away files!" As they pointed out, the music market pretty much knows the drill already. So do we.

The "Caveat Emptor" bit was cute...

Anyway, if this is how Amazon plans to sell music, we can only hope that they will follow the same methods when selling e-books.
Um, No? I want to buy a copy of the ebook. I don't want to buy a license to read it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I'm pretty sure they can't limit your resale abilities. Just because it is electronic does not mean they can overturn the right of first sale, althought it is legally murky as the linked wikipedia article shows.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
I'm pretty sure they can't limit your resale abilities. Just because it is electronic does not mean they can overturn the right of first sale, althought it is legally murky as the linked wikipedia article shows.
Well, since you don't own the music you buy from them, they can legally stop you from reselling it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well, since you don't own the music you buy from them, they can legally stop you from reselling it.
As the Gnome said, that's all wrapped up in the legalese... but reselling the content isn't really the point, is it? Enjoying the content... that's the point, and that's what you're paying for.

I think everyone's just going to have to get used to the fact that digital files changes the old resale equation, whether we like it or not.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
My personal opinion is that any e-content is licensed not owned, whether drm'ed or not and no legal secondary market is going to evolve. As an individual you most probably can try and sell your e-content but it's going to be on dodgy sites or at best for drm content and with content onwer permission you may be able to transfer your license, not like now when you can list your used book or cd on Amazon for example legally and freely.

I can live with that as long as prices are reasonable and I can be sure that I will be able to read my e-books indefinitely on any device I want (with some care from my part of course not to lose the file), ...

Usually the resale value of most books is negligible anyway.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have to admit, most of the reason I've ever bothered trying to resell books was because I couldn't store them and couldn't stand the idea of throwing them away, not because they're worth much. That argument doesn't really hold with digital files. Still, I think the right of first sale is not so easily tossed aside. And I still think most vendors need to come down on prices (e.g. to where Baen is).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #11
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Well, I like it.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
My personal opinion is that any e-content is licensed not owned, whether drm'ed or not and no legal secondary market is going to evolve.
When it comes down to it, any book, album, DVD and newspaper you buy is licensing a copy of the original product for personalized use. Secondary markets for most items usually come about without the express blessing of the original property owners. However, it's rarely considered an issue unless:

A. The seller creates and sells multiple copies of their single product; or
B. The seller tries to pass themselves off as the original author of someone else's work.

This is because it does not unduly compromise the original author's market, in the eyes of the law. As long as these two caveats are not broken, I don't see why even e-books cannot become a secondary market product in time.