Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #1471
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
At this point it's mostly academic, but I was able to download books from the NOOK app running in the emulator packaged with Google's Android Studio.

It requires installing about 4GB of software, but it will run on Windows 7 or 64-bit LInux.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #1472
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
On Windows 10, it's the Nook for PC app...
In Barnes & Noble terminology, that's NOOK Reading App™ for Windows. NOOK for PC and NOOK for Mac are no longer supported.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #1473
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
In Barnes & Noble terminology, that's NOOK Reading App™ for Windows. NOOK for PC and NOOK for Mac are no longer supported.
The rep had the term wrong (He said 'Nook for PC' when from looking at the current installed app in apps and programs, it's now just titled 'Nook') but factually the link he gave--the one linked on their current apps page and the one I linked to--is the one people should use. It's the supported one, and the only Nook app on the Windows store. I don't see how there's any ambiguity there.

Where there *is* ambiguity is what's going on for Win7 users, and why so many are having trouble with it.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #1474
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, Nook for PC and Nookstudy have stopped working. So Windows 7 machines (and Macs) have no native Nook program. As far as I've seen, the currently supported Win8/10 app has never been called Nook for PC. (And it's called "Nook for Windows 8" on nookbook product pages.)

Alf's tools automatically retrieved the key for your Nook app books?

Last edited by lkmiller; 03-14-2019 at 07:20 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #1475
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Alf's tools automatically retrieved the key for your Nook app books?
Yes, I almost feel bad saying that for all the Win7 users, but in Win10 it was just as simple as importing Kindle or Kobo books.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #1476
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Using this app, and the Calibre plugin, I browsed to the local BN folder as someone posted in the thread, the books import easily just as from Amazon or any of the other apps like Kobo, ADE. It looks like the issue is on earlier versions mainly. I doubt this experience will turn around my opinion of BN. But in the interest of honest reporting--buying and DeDRM'ing an ebook went pretty smoothly.
Reading your message, it looks like the Alf plug-in was able to find your key using the Nook app from the Windows store. So I'm not the only one with that experience.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #1477
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Reading your message, it looks like the Alf plug-in was able to find your key using the Nook app from the Windows store. So I'm not the only one with that experience.
Sheesh, the first 2 books I pulled down worked. I bought 2 more with the funds left on gift card, these do NOT work. They get the DRM message after you pull them into Calibre. The only thing these 2 books have in common is fairly recent releases, same author (Roger Scruton). So yeah, even on Win10 there are issues. I think it's fair to say they've broken Alf's utility. Same old BN, confirms why I dropped them years ago, and I hate wasting time messing with their customer service. They've permanently lost me as a customer on ebooks, though if I can get a refund on these 2, I'll still buy paper books from them.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #1478
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Sheesh, the first 2 books I pulled down worked. I bought 2 more with the funds left on gift card, these do NOT work. They get the DRM message after you pull them into Calibre. The only thing these 2 books have in common is fairly recent releases, same author (Roger Scruton). So yeah, even on Win10 there are issues. I think it's fair to say they've broken Alf's utility. Same old BN, confirms why I dropped them years ago, and I hate wasting time messing with their customer service. They've permanently lost me as a customer on ebooks, though if I can get a refund on these 2, I'll still buy paper books from them.
The last ebook I bought from B&N was a graphic novel last year. There was some file in the ePub that the Alf plug-in was looking for and it was in a different place than usual. Maybe that's what happened to your books?

Try asking for help on the blog. I don't remember the details anymore. And even if I did, I don't think we're supposed to go into specifics anyway.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #1479
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Yes, I almost feel bad saying that for all the Win7 users, but in Win10 it was just as simple as importing Kindle or Kobo books.
Good to know it works in some cases at least.

The Windows app can download some types of books that Nook for PC couldn't download. And some of those can't be decrypted. For example, no one ever added the capability for DeDRMing B&N PDFs (Page Perfect Nookbooks) to Alf's tools. But things like comics might work with some extra fiddling. Although the last person who used the method I had success with in the past still ended up with a folder of encrypted image files.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #1480
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The last ebook I bought from B&N was a graphic novel last year. There was some file in the ePub that the Alf plug-in was looking for and it was in a different place than usual. Maybe that's what happened to your books?

Try asking for help on the blog. I don't remember the details anymore. And even if I did, I don't think we're supposed to go into specifics anyway.
Yep I had tried the old things but no *.b64 file is on my system, and generating a key as in ADE 2 or the tools fails.

You're right next step is Alf's blog.....IF I cared enough to spend more time debugging a BN book I paid for so I can read it in any app I want. The thing is, the same books that don't work are available at three other stores for equal or better prices. And those stores give no such hassle. I got the refund, and a good reminder why I quit buying from them before.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #1481
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Yep I had tried the old things but no *.b64 file is on my system, and generating a key as in ADE 2 or the tools fails.

You're right next step is Alf's blog.....IF I cared enough to spend more time debugging a BN book I paid for so I can read it in any app I want. The thing is, the same books that don't work are available at three other stores for equal or better prices. And those stores give no such hassle. I got the refund, and a good reminder why I quit buying from them before.
To a great extent, this is why I continue to buy mostly from Amazon's kindle store. There are very few books that aren't on the Kindle store but are at other stores. Until one of the other store gives me a compelling reason to switch, I stick with what works. Switching to a store that has DRM that I can't remove is a non starter for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #1482
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
To a great extent, this is why I continue to buy mostly from Amazon's kindle store. There are very few books that aren't on the Kindle store but are at other stores. Until one of the other store gives me a compelling reason to switch, I stick with what works. Switching to a store that has DRM that I can't remove is a non starter for me.
I hear you. That's what I've come to. Totally, totally appreciate the heroics of our benefactor Alf and others who perpetually try to keep the tools 'ahead' in the cat-and-mouse game of make encryption, break encryption. But....some ebook sellers don't seem to go out their way to make things extraordinarily difficult for customers. While others seem they could care less and will try to force you into their ecosystem at all costs.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #1483
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Amazon's starting to make it difficult, too, with KFX and the new DRM scheme for Kindle for PC/Mac 1.25 and newer Kindle 5.10.x firmware. For now, using older software/firmware versions and the "Download & Transfer via USB" option remain available. Don't know if and when that's gonna change. Also not a fan of the low quality images on the azw3 versions.

I've switched to Kobo for new purchases.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #1484
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Amazon's starting to make it difficult, too, with KFX and the new DRM scheme for Kindle for PC/Mac 1.25 and newer Kindle 5.10.x firmware.
That is also fair. However, maybe just because Amazon is the dominant player, it seems like the tools are getting the attention and keeping up pretty well with even the recent changes. Anyone who will invest 5 minutes to read jhowells's detailed post about the 4 methods and tools for working with kfx in Calibre should have no problem. If we could get to that state of relatively smooth, low friction ebook import and conversion with BN, I'd reconsider them as a source for ebooks. I really have no beef with them otherwise, still like their physical stores and give them my business here locally.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #1485
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Anyone who will invest 5 minutes to read jhowells's detailed post about the 4 methods and tools for working with kfx in Calibre should have no problem.
Sorry, no. I've invested way more than 5 minutes reading jhowells's excellent posts, but I don't do windows or use anything apple.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote