Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
What do you use to read web articles on your kindle?

I've used Pocket & Instapaper in the past but both seem to be wonky now, and neither can be downloaded through calibre. Downloading through calibre is not necessary but it is convenient, when it works.

Anyone using a system they like for compiling web articles for reading on the kindle?
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
For the past year or two, Send to Kindle for Google Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kieebhea?hl=en

P.S. I also have found alternatives fading away.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-15-2017 at 09:02 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
If you have the kindle app and an iPad, you can press send to kindle from the Safari browser.

Edit: scrap that - I just tried it on three different articles from three different news sites, and it failed to extract the contents each time, just sending the link with a message explaining they couldn't extract the info. Not exactly Pocket.

Last edited by Pjama; 12-16-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I use my cell phone. In a pinch I can use my desktop computer. I had a Chromebook I could use but it's going to a grandson.

I know it's radical but I use my Kindle for reading books. Just books.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I prefer Instapaper on my Fire tablet.

I like being able to manage the reading list from the Instapaper website - it's a much cleaner interface than Amazon's site.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
I use sigil to create epub, then convert them to azw3 with calibre.

On my browser (Vivaldi) there's an option to display only the article content (I.e. not show the heads, menus, etc.) I save all the pages I want to read in a same folder, then use sigil to create an epub. It can even create a table of contents, and you can add a cover.

I do this with short stories freely available online. If you are interested in very short articles, it might be too much overhead, but I find this really convenient.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I use my cell phone. In a pinch I can use my desktop computer. I had a Chromebook I could use but it's going to a grandson.

I know it's radical but I use my Kindle for reading books. Just books.
patrickt you are a rebel!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
For the past year or two, Send to Kindle for Google Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kieebhea?hl=en

P.S. I also have found alternatives fading away.
Same, and same as your P.S.

From an Android cell phone or tablet, I've found the paid Android app "Push to Kindle" to be at least as good as Send to Kindle for the PC.

For PDFs, Amazon's feature (don't know if this is U.S. only) letting you send an e-mail to your Kindle's ...@kindle.com e-mail address with just the word "convert" in the Subject and the PDF attached, has done fantastic conversions.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
greg oire
Zealot
greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greg oire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Energy Reader Pro+
hi all.
i d like to ask for your help.
i have a android ereader and used to read articles through the instapaper app which i really liked. problem is now the ereader has no wi-fi (some m/b issue)
the only way i ve found to bypass that is, using a desktop i download a printable instapaper file- its a feature of instapaper but its very limited, its fixed to 20 articles per printable file, many times cant format an article etc etc. then i have to sideload this pdf to the ereader to read the articles. its 1. kinda boring process and 2. results arent really good.

could anyone suggest an alternative?
i think i read the whole thread but dont think that any option suggested would be usable without wi-fi
thanks in advance!
greg oire is offline   Reply With Quote