Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've found that it seems to go a lot quicker if you keep the Kindle awake. It seems to slow to a crawl when the Kindle goes to sleep. When I was doing the batch of books in my previous post, I had the Kindle plugged into my laptop's USB port, but "ejected" (ie it was powered, but not in USB drive mode), and I refreshed the page every 5 minutes to keep it awake.
Too bad that when it is deciding whether to go to sleep, it doesn't check indexing state, charging state, and battery level. if it's indexing, charging, and over 80% (or whatever),
it should stay awake until it's done indexing or disconnected from charger.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #17
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Thanks for your reply and your test, HarryT. After reading your post I sent around 10 books to my PW3 today as a test. While it is true that the PW3 indexes when awake too, in my case it seems to do it much faster when in sleep mode, which is consistent with what I reported in my previous post. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with mine (but it seems to be working well besides this, so...)
I still think that Amazon could introduce some kind of pop-up into the firmware, warning the user when the device is busy indexing.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #18
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I've found that it seems to go a lot quicker if you keep the Kindle awake. It seems to slow to a crawl when the Kindle goes to sleep. When I was doing the batch of books in my previous post, I had the Kindle plugged into my laptop's USB port, but "ejected" (ie it was powered, but not in USB drive mode), and I refreshed the page every 5 minutes to keep it awake.
Overnight today on charger and obviously asleep it's gone down from 390 odd books to be indexed down to just one (and that one isn't a particularly big one or one of the last I downloaded, but no matter).
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Overnight today on charger and obviously asleep it's gone down from 390 odd books to be indexed down to just one (and that one isn't a particularly big one or one of the last I downloaded, but no matter).
Good to hear.

The behaviour of indexing while the Kindle is asleep does seem a little random Sometimes it'll plough through a whole stack of books in no time flat, while other times it seem to achieve virtually nothing. The second batch of books I put on my Kindle I left overnight from about 10pm one night to 7am the night morning, and in those 9h it only indexed 30 books. Other times, while asleep, it'll do a couple of hundred in an hour. There seems no rhyme or reason to it!

Oh well, now up to the letter "M" (lots of "M" authors ), which is 68% of the way through my library, so we're getting there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Displaying the screensaver does not indicate the sleep/awake state.

When connected to a charger, it remains awake.
Internally, the kernel sets a "wake lock" flag that prevents it from going to sleep.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #21
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Internally, the kernel sets a "wake lock" flag that prevents it from going to sleep.
The cover was shut and the Oasis seems to go into a deeper sleep than other Kindles (as per the awaking message you get when opening for the first time in a few hours), so I assumed it was "asleep" by any reasonable definition. Anyway, it worked. The last book indexed a few minutes later.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Is there a difference in behaviour when connected to a wall charger as opposed to a PC's USB port? When connected to a PC, but not in "USB drive" mode (ie just using the USB port for power), when the Kindle goes to sleep, the USB device disconnects about 10 minutes later, at which point the Kindle displays the "Waking Up" message when the power button is pressed.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #23
BAD18
Enthusiast
BAD18 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color & Touch; Samsung Galaxy Tab
Harry, I just received my 2017 Oasis. I tried to load my Kindle ebooks from Calibre as I do with my Kindle Voyager. But Calibre didn't recognize the Oasis. I ended up emailing the books directly to the KO2. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
Barbara
USA West Coast
BAD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD18 View Post
Harry, I just received my 2017 Oasis. I tried to load my Kindle ebooks from Calibre as I do with my Kindle Voyager. But Calibre didn't recognize the Oasis. I ended up emailing the books directly to the KO2. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
Barbara
USA West Coast
Have you downloaded the version of Calibre that supports the new Oasis? ie Calibre version 3.11? Support for new devices doesn't magically appear in old versions .
Old 11-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Nearing the limit?

Hmmm, I may perhaps be approaching some sort of limit to library size on my KO2.

I loaded another batch of about 690 books this morning, which brings the total number of books on the device to a little over 5000. Indexing went well for a couple of hundred books, but in the last hour the Kindle has spontaneously rebooted three times. A limit on library size, or just a rogue book the indexing process doesn't like?

Indexing seems to be on the move again now, so we'll see...
Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fingers crossed it was a book the indexer didn't like. It's stopped rebooting and indexing is progressing.

To be honest, this is very much in the way of an experiment to see what the device is capable of. I don't need this many books on a reader .
Old 11-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #27
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Fingers crossed it was a book the indexer didn't like. It's stopped rebooting and indexing is progressing.

To be honest, this is very much in the way of an experiment to see what the device is capable of. I don't need this many books on a reader .
My 2351 books took up about 5gb, still over 22gb left.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Seems fine again now. A book the indexer didn't like, I suspect. With 5003 books on my Kindle, I have 16.56GB free. It started out with what? About 26GB free space? So I've used about a third of the storage space so far.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #29
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Seems fine again now. A book the indexer didn't like, I suspect. With 5003 books on my Kindle, I have 16.56GB free. It started out with what? About 26GB free space? So I've used about a third of the storage space so far.

Have you noticed any degradation in speed of opening books, page turns, etc due to library size?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #30
Isamilis
Connoisseur
Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2015, Oasis, Paperwhite 2016
Why do you need to bring thousand books everywhere, while you can only read few books per day? I am not againts this idea, but it sounds weird for people who have cloud and internet access almost everywhere.
I might be wrong, but my experience so far, the fewer books I loaded in my kindle the bigger chance ideas in that book inspire me.
Isamilis is offline   Reply With Quote