Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #46
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Obviously 13.1.1 didn’t fix this bug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C89C4FCE-5CD8-4863-9A93-72EC57629B58.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	173785  
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #47
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Well to be fair, it's a matter of survival for them. Many sites have gone under in recent years thanks to lack of ad revenue. So it's a choice of either making them harder to block or adding a pay wall.
I suspect that most people wouldn't bother blocking ads if they weren't just so annoying, so they really have only themselves to blame. I turned off the ad blocker on one site once. Four-fifths of the screen was ads. Nice, flashing ads. There are few articles that I want to read that badly.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #48
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the ads are stationary (fixed position) I can just ignore them. When they float around or expand and contract a lot thereby changing the position of the article text then that is too much to ignore. It is also too much to ignore when sites pop up a window on top of the text either bitching at you to turn off ad blockers or to simply toot their own horn so to speak. When the latter happens you cannot read the article text at all.

For the record, I don't have an issue with sites using ads, they have to pay for the site after all, but I certainly have an issue with using ads or web page features that move or obscure the article text. I suspect these kind of sites is one of the reasons why Apple added the Reader View feature a while back. Unfortunately Reader View is not always available as an option. There is probably not much Apple would do to block expanding elements on a web page, but their popup blocker should actually work, but it doesn't always work. I have no idea how often it does work because if/when it does work I would never see the popup, but it fails often enough as I do see some popups.

On another Safari issue, 13.1.1 did not fix the issues with web pages that use fixed position banner and footer elements. The banner elements often flicker a lot and the footer elements tend to float up into the middle of the page when scrolling upwards thereby obscuring a bit of article text. These issues were not present in 12.x.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #49
crane3
Evangelist
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab Pro 8.4, Aura ONE
In process: downloading & install of ipados 13.1.2

Don't know if it is the same as ios 13.1.1
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #50
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
A weird bug I noticed is that command+space (spotlight search) and command+tab (app switcher) will randomly stop working if you have a mouse attached.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #51
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
On IOS 13.1, there is a thin line under the battery, wifi, and cell icons on the lock screen. What is it for? This is on an iPhone 11.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #52
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's there to remind you that the control center can be accessed from the lock screen. iPads have it too. (Though not iPhone 8, since it retains the old swipe from the bottom gesture)

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-30-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #53
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
In process: downloading & install of ipados 13.1.2

Don't know if it is the same as ios 13.1.1
They must have screwed up something to release 13.1.2 this soon after 13.1.1. I hope this isn’t going to happen too often. It takes too long to install constant updates every few days.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #54
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

It looks like 13.1.2 made some corrections to the way Safari was rendering html. Not sure what else was included.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #55
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
It's there to remind you that the control center can be accessed from the lock screen. iPads have it too. (Though not iPhone 8, since it retains the old swipe from the bottom gesture)
I don’t understand why TouchID iPhones should be different than TouchID iPads in this regard. I find it very comfortable to swipe up from bottom to go Home (and for that matter to be able to swipe right-and-left-at-bottom to switch between recent apps on iPhone with FaceID). If CC was moved to top right, that would be possible (and consistent!). And the Home button could retain the same functions, if people really prefer pressing it and double pressing it.

It would simplify things for app developers, too.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #56
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don’t understand why TouchID iPhones should be different than TouchID iPads in this regard. I find it very comfortable to swipe up from bottom to go Home (and for that matter to be able to swipe right-and-left-at-bottom to switch between recent apps on iPhone with FaceID). If CC was moved to top right, that would be possible (and consistent!). And the Home button could retain the same functions, if people really prefer pressing it and double pressing it.

It would simplify things for app developers, too.
It would Interfere with existing apps. The iPhone X and later have extra real estate the bottom to prevent it from overlapping any existing interface items.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #57
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
It would Interfere with existing apps. The iPhone X and later have extra real estate the bottom to prevent it from overlapping any existing interface items.
Ah, too bad!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:51 AM   #58
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

I have noticed some really funky behavior with the mini keyboard on the iPad, where it will randomly start to scoot downwards in some apps.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #59
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Thanks. It just seemed a little strange that it doesn't appear at other times when the control panel is available.

And maybe it is just me, but the UI seems inconsistent to me, or non-intuitive. The little line, the control center isn't available from within apps but brings up the notification center, a partial swipe up from the bottom starts to show the notification center on the lock screen but not when you swipe down.

And I wish that Apple had a "phone" mode. My mom is tech adverse, but I thought the iPhone just as a phone would be simple. But due to the nag messages (set up wallet, setup do not disturb, ...) she can't just get to the app without having to go through several screens some times.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #60
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I have noticed some really funky behavior with the mini keyboard on the iPad, where it will randomly start to scoot downwards in some apps.
I've had similar issues with selecting text via touch on my iPad Pro 9.7" since iOS 12.x. Select a word, then with my finger on one of the selection expansion sliders barely move my finger less than a small fraction of a millimeter and the screen rapidly scrolls up or down and I suddenly have several pages of text selected when all I wanted was a few words on one line. Really flaky. I'm not sure if this is an iOS issue or an issue with my iPad. Either way it makes text selection difficult and flaky.

In iPadOS 13 I have encountered the issue you were talking about with positioning the mini keyboard. I have also noticed that with the mini keyboard active, I have much trouble in getting text selected via touch. I also have this major complaint about the mini keyboard: There is no intuitive way to format text like we can using the full size keyboard. And finally, I do not like the pinch and zoom method of pinching to activate the mini keyboard and zooming to reactivate the full size keyboard. It seems rather flaky in my experience and often requires multiple pinch or zooms. And quite frequently the pinch mere causes text to appear due to the new drag feature for typing, which I hate BTW. It seems like a small button on the keyboard would be better wherein we could toggle the mini keyboard on/off, and another small button for toggling the formatting options on/off.

IMO, Apple often comes up with some great ideas, but then the don't think them through thoroughly. Usability is important, I think that usability is way down their list of things to verify.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-01-2019 at 12:14 PM.