Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook
Kobo keeps going home

I just bought a new kobo, and I love the possibilities, but every time I try to turn a page on a pdf, it goes back home. I don't know what's causing this, and I'd like to figure out why!
NightStar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Are the books on a SD card or on the Device its self?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

On the SD card.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
There has been (and still might be) problems with reading books from SD cards. This sounds exactly like your issue.

What is your firmware version? If you are not running with the latest firmware, you could upgrade and try again?
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
NightStar76
Enthusiast

I believe it is the latest firmware. I used the pc setup and it said that it was updating, and that hasn't happened since. I've now noticed that data on the sd card keeps appearing and disappearing.
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are some SD cards, which for unknown reasons, don't play well with the Touch. It sounds like you have one of them. I know people have had success reformatting the cards, but I have no idea what they have done in terms of format.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I agree, it's most likely down to the SD card.
When I Originally got my KT, I used an old 2GB Micro SD card (NOT SDHC) and I had no problems with it.

Recently I got an 8GB SDHC card and I'd get exactly that problem.
After some searching on this forum I found the following solution will likely fix it (although not everyone has success).

First download SD Formatter:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Goto the options and select "FULL (Overwrite)" on Format type.
and Format Size adjustment "OFF"

For me, after I did that (and it's important to select "Overwrite"), the problem went away.

If it still continues, try to borrow or use a 2gb NON SDHC MicroSD card and see it the problem stops.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
NightStar76
Enthusiast

Problem is, I lost the case that the sd card connects to a computer with... but thanks!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it will still connect as a drive letter when it's plugged into the KT and you then plug the KT into your CP via the usb cable.
You can then format it as instructed.
Just make sure you format the right one, as the internal storage will also connect as a drive letter.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
watr
watr began at the beginning.

I have a Kobo touch with latest firmware. I have the same problem as described by OP. I have tried the proposed solution in post #7 without success. My microSDHC is the following one:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62562&...y&promoid=1301

This is a serious bug, as it renders the device useless if using an SD card that is not old. If this device only works with only certain microSD cards, then the Kobo developers need to specify which cards their device works with (tested??). As it stands, I have just wasted money buying additional storage for this device.

Last edited by watr; 12-30-2011 at 04:23 AM.
watr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
NightStar76
Enthusiast

I agree, but I did purchase an older model microsd card for the purposes of testing. Now I'm experiencing a new bug.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
danskmacabre
Guru

Hmmm, an update to this thread.
I have recently been using an 8gb class 2 MicroSD card as follows:
http://www.amazon.com/PQI-MicroSDHC-.../dp/B003HIXSPG

Using the SD formatter as I described earlier certainly did reduce drastically the "Crash to home screen" problem, but it hasn't gone away for me.
I spent a few hours reading in one sitting yesterday and it happened twice. Removing and inserting the card again got everything re-detected again, but it's very annoying.

Since then I have gone back to my old 2gb (non-SDHC) card and the problem has completely gone away.
I thought perhaps it might have been my SDHC 8gb card only being class 2 was too slow.
But seeing one of the previous posters here is using a fast class 10 card and still having the problem, I think it's a compatibility issue.

It'd be great if someone from Kobo could post in this thread to make an official statement about this. Alternatively if someone has a link to more information about this, it would be appreciated.

As it turns out I can still use my 8gb card in my phone, but it'd be nice to be able to reliably use it or buy a new one that will work properly with a Kobo.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
watr

Quote:
Originally Posted by watr View Post
I have a Kobo touch with latest firmware. I have the same problem as described by OP. I have tried the proposed solution in post #7 without success. My microSDHC is the following one:

This is a serious bug, as it renders the device useless if using an SD card that is not old. If this device only works with only certain microSD cards, then the Kobo developers need to specify which cards their device works with (tested??). As it stands, I have just wasted money buying additional storage for this device.
Here is my full email to help@kobo:
Quote:
I have a 16gig microSDHC card (Class 10). I was hoping to use it as additional storage for my Kobo Touch (latest firmware version), however, every time I go to read a pdf, it kicks me out to the home screen (when I go to change the page). Before it kicks me out it shows the book as being completed (folded top right corner). It appears the SD card is being ejected (connection timing out?). The reason I think this is because when the Kobo kicks me back to the home screen, the home screen shows me the books on the Kobo's internal storage, not the ones on the SD card. The only way to have the home screen show the books on the SD card again is to wait a few seconds, then hit the home button and have the home screen refresh. This seems to reinitialize the SD Card. When it reinitializes the SD card, the books show-up again, and I can go back to the book I was reading (to read another page and repeat this process for every page). As it stands, the device is unusable through microSD for me. I will attempt to try this on other Kobo Touch readers at my local chapters to see if I can re-create this behaviour. In the mean-time...

I have the following SD Card:

I have also tried, without success, the fix described in the following post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=7

Please let me know if this bug has already been reported, and when you expect to have a fix out. I am happy to provide further feedback/information on the success of any potential fixes you release/propose.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
watr

Here is the Kobo support suggested solution I received (it didn't solve the problem for me):
Quote:
Hi ,

Thank you for your email. We do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

It seems that you are experiencing issues with your Kobo Touch. A basic reset may fix these issues so please follow these steps:

***Please note that a basic reset does not delete any books from your eReader.***

1. Please put your Kobo Touch into SLEEP MODE by sliding the power button to the right and holding for 1 second and then releasing the button.
2. Turn over the device and locate the small hole on the back near the bottom.
3. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
4. Press gently until you feel a click and release.
5.The Touch should restart.

Using a Micro SD card will expand the number of eBooks your Kobo Touch can hold. The Kobo Touch is capable of handling a Micro SD card up to 32 GBs in size. Please note that using a Micro SD card with the Kobo Touch will drain the battery faster than normal.
The above didn't solve this problem for me. As it stands, the Kobo does not support microSD memory expansion.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru

Having already done this I, agree a reset does not solve the problem.
It works fine with my 2GB NON-SD card, so I'll stick with that.
Kinda disappointed I can't use larger cards though.