Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
MangAI (reformts manga for ereaders): anyone else using it?

Is anyone else using an app called MangAI? I've followed the development of this app since it was called Canti in 2010. I loved it because it had many user options to format pages to my particular preference and the developer was also super responsive. One cool feature was that it could actually trim the space between non-complex panel layouts, which is definitely a step-up from the usual margin trimming.

I lost interest when I lost my Kindle 3 a while ago, but now that I have a new one (Voyage), I've recently gotten back to reading manga on my kindle. Things sure have changed. Mobi+Panel View is now the preferred kindle format over cbz. First mobi-conversion tool I tried was KCC and it worked ok, but it was inflexible in some settings so I couldn't get my pages the way I wanted them to be. Then I remembered about Canti (now MangAi), noticed that it now supports Mobi, and the results are much more to my liking. And the developer is still super responsive.

The tool has many options, such as organizational feature, which I haven't had the chance to explore. I'm curious how others are using this app, what settings they are using, and how it fits into their workflow. There use be some discussions here back when it was named Canti, but quiet since (check my sig). I'm currently "bugging" to get the developer to add some features , but it may be helpful to bounce ideas off each other, even to just get a sanity check on them. Who knows, maybe I can convince him to make a calibre plugin version.

I currently have the app process my pages as such:
  • Trim margins and panel spaces.
  • Auto-level adjust the contrast.
  • If the image is larger than the screen, shrink to fit.
  • If the image is smaller than the screen, leave as is and don't fill in the empty margins. This is because the paperwhite/voyage mobi viewer will automatically expand images to fill the screen. I prefer for the reader to upscale the images than for me to do it externally so to keep the files small in size.
  • If the image is a landscape/2-page spread, rotate and show the full spread on one page, and then split the page to two in the following two pages. This ensures that the level of visible detail for 2-page spreads remains consistent with the single pages.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote