Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
newuser
newuser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can PRS300 read both Chinese and Hebrew

I am planning to get the Sony PRS300. I would like to make sure if the PRS300 read both Chinese and Hebrew first. Is anyone help? Thanks
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome, newuser.

I don't have experience with the different fonts for other languages or the 300. You can check in the Sony Dev Corner for lots of information. The developers there are always coming up with something incredible.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
newuser

Thanks, will check when I go home
Old 05-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Yes, PRS300 can read chinese ebooks but you have to convert the files yourself or find readily converted ones.

It does not natively support chinese language so you have to either change the css in epub to use a chinese font. This font has to be transfered by you to a folder on the reader. Or you can look at font-embedded pdf files. There's also a hack to allow the reader to read chinese (txt, lrf, epub, etc) and have chinese menus.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I look for PDF which already have the chinese characters in them.. really nice to read those chinese martial arts novels on PRS

Screenshots
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Chinese is possible in all formats (with hacks). Hebrew however, I don't think Sony supports right to left languages. It would work as PDFs/image LRFs in any case.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
newuser

Finally I just received a PRS600 from my friend who bought it in the States which is only $199 USD. Hope I believe it can read Chinese as the PRS300. Will try today.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
newuser

I was very disappointed with my PRS600.
1. When I charged it with the USB cable, it supposted to have a "USB connected" appreas on the Reader, but nothing shows up
2. I left it overnight, The charge indicator turn to orange colour. I unplug the USB cable and try to switch on the reader, nothing on the screen.

Is my reader defective? It is a brand new one that I just got yesterday.
I am very frustrated.
Can somebody help?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
...left overnight... So was the computer switched on and fully active or does it go to sleep mode when left unattended... if the latter then you didn't charge it, you discharged it. USB charging requires an awake and active PC during the whole process (or a special USB cable with the data lines tricked into appearing active... don't go there). If the PC did go to sleep or close down then your best bet is an AC charger (PSP works fine) using the mini barrel connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser View Post
I was very disappointed with my PRS600.
1. When I charged it with the USB cable, it supposted to have a "USB connected" appreas on the Reader, but nothing shows up
2. I left it overnight, The charge indicator turn to orange colour. I unplug the USB cable and try to switch on the reader, nothing on the screen.

Is my reader defective? It is a brand new one that I just got yesterday.
I am very frustrated.
Can somebody help?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
newuser

the computer was not in the sleeping mode. I reset the reader and I can charge it. However I found that there were 11 ebooks already installed. Does the brand new reader come with ebooks? I just wonder.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes does come with some installed... usually most are samples of books you can purchase plus a few out of copyright and may also be in several languages...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
newuser

Thanks.
When I upload the book (which is in Chinese character) to the reader, the font is too small. Is there any way that I can enlarge it?