Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #2386
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
...and well, I hope that switches up the things.

The screenshots will describe themselves... Enjoy!

I could not read any of these. So I must ask. What exactly are you needing help with?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #2387
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I could not read any of these. So I must ask. What exactly are you needing help with?
The poster has not discovered that Amazon is now shipping Kindles "jailbreak ready".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #2388
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Well, they are shipping them jailbreak-ready, but old kindles can't yet be software jailbroken. Plus, in some places I actually didn't explain things very accurately to make the dramatical effect even harder.

And, wait a second until I rewrite everything on a new post, so that you don't have to read from screenshots because FML.
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #2389
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, they are shipping them jailbreak-ready, but old kindles can't yet be software jailbroken. Plus, in some places I actually didn't explain things very accurately to make the dramatical effect even harder.

And, wait a second until I rewrite everything on a new post, so that you don't have to read from screenshots because FML.
Some new ones can, some old ones can. It has just been in the last couple of months that they started shipping with non-jailbreak firmware.
Read the first post in this thread to see which ones are which.

PS: the big A wants you to use it as stock not rooted.
Hence why the cat and mouse game.
No need for a new post.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #2390
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Don't bother, anyone that wants to read those can click them to see the original.

All models of Kindles can be jail broken with the exception of those running the two most recent firmwares.
New Kindles (I will know about Amazon-Refurbished tomorrow) are shipping with a functional: ;installHtml search bar command.
(Probably as a production error, but they are shipping them that way.)

= = = =

Most of the activity here is behind-the-scenes preparation for any new models this fall.

Last edited by knc1; 08-09-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Advert
Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #2391
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post Untitled - Notepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Don't bother, anyone that wants to read those can click them to see the original.

All models of Kindles can be jail broken with the exception of those running the two most recent firmwares.
New Kindles (I will know about Amazon-Refurbished tomorrow) are shipping with a functional: ;installHtml search bar command.
(Probably as a production error, but they are shipping them that way.)

= = = =

Most of the activity here is behind-the-scenes preparation for any new models this fall.
Of course, I know which one can be jailbroken and which one not - I mean I've been following this thread for hella long time.

I just wanted to have some fun with the Amazon Customer Service and actually *try* to make them think just a little about making a downgradeable firmware.

So, please don't blame me for any false statements in the chat screenshots - I mean, I just tried explaining Jailbreaking to somebody who might actually never heard about it.

And so, the two recent firmwares have been impossible to jailbreak. I was unlucky enough to see this thread when I already was at 5.8.9.2. I haven't been thinking about jailbreaking my Kindle since the time I got it (December 2014) - I just thought it's a lost game.

I've unloked the bootloaders on all my Android devices and even on my Windows Phone, so I feel pretty comfy with jailbreaking my already 2½ year old Kindle.

Right now, I'm just hoping for an Amazon miracle of releasing a jailbreakable firmware for everyone (which is pretty unlikely, but the hope dies last).
Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #2392
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Of course, I know which one can be jailbroken and which one not - I mean I've been following this thread for hella long time.

I just wanted to have some fun with the Amazon Customer Service and actually *try* to make them think just a little about making a downgradeable firmware.

So, please don't blame me for any false statements in the chat screenshots - I mean, I just tried explaining Jailbreaking to somebody who might actually never heard about it.

And so, the two recent firmwares have been impossible to jailbreak. I was unlucky enough to see this thread when I already was at 5.8.9.2. I haven't been thinking about jailbreaking my Kindle since the time I got it (December 2014) - I just thought it's a lost game.

I've unloked the bootloaders on all my Android devices and even on my Windows Phone, so I feel pretty comfy with jailbreaking my already 2½ year old Kindle.

Right now, I'm just hoping for an Amazon miracle of releasing a jailbreakable firmware for everyone (which is pretty unlikely, but the hope dies last).
Let me be the first to congratulate you for possibly making @knc1's wish come true.
Your fun may backfire now that they know there is a jailbreak-able firmware coming out of the factory. Did you tell CS the firmware number?
Try extremely unlikely they will release a jailbreak-able firmware.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #2393
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Let me be the first to congratulate you for possibly making @knc1's wish come true.
Your fun may backfire now that they know there is a jailbreak-able firmware coming out of the factory. Did you tell CS the firmware number?
Try extremely unlikely they will release a jailbreak-able firmware.
Don't be so fast congratulating me. The whole "high priority" thing might be a lie from the CS.

But, yeah, I told them the firmware versions on which it IS NOT possible to downgrade. You know that you can read all the chats by clicking on the screenshots to get them in full resolution, right?

------EDIT------
Also, heads up. I mean - it's freaking Amazon. They probably have a research team that already has came across this forum and knows that jail breaking is possible on older firmwares.

Last edited by nicolasmart; 08-09-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Just to add something I thought of.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #2394
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Don't be so fast congratulating me. The whole "high priority" thing might be a lie from the CS.

But, yeah, I told them the firmware versions on which it IS NOT possible to downgrade. You know that you can read all the chats by clicking on the screenshots to get them in full resolution, right?

------EDIT------
Also, heads up. I mean - it's freaking Amazon. They probably have a research team that already has came across this forum and knows that jail breaking is possible on older firmwares.
I clicked on the screen shots. They were exactly the same size as here. That could be a tablet thing.

They don't need a research team. You tagged the post nicely for them. Most corporations have trawlers that hit on keywords. This way the companies know what is being said about them.

Now I'm not sure if Amazon has any members here, but I know Kobo has at least one.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #2395
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
They don't need a research team. You tagged the post nicely for them. Most corporations have trawlers that hit on keywords. This way the companies know what is being said about them.

Now I'm not sure if Amazon has any members here, but I know Kobo has at least one.
Easier than that.
See box to left?
When not logged in, click the nickname.
Scroll down to "Follow post by RSS" - click, then tell your browser what you want done with the feed.

IIRC: Somebody has posted a 'feed reader' here for the Kindles.
Ah, several different people I think, you might have a choice of Kindle feed readers.
Now if Amazon can find a spare Kindle ...
Oh, but wait, they would have to jail break it.
And according to the "Kindle expert" they don't know anything about that.

- - - -

Yes, we most likely do have some 'listen only' members here.
One of them hasn't been active here for a long time but lists his work as a Lab126 contractor in his public CV.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #2396
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Easier than that.
See box to left?
When not logged in, click the nickname.
Scroll down to "Follow post by RSS" - click, then tell your browser what you want done with the feed.

IIRC: Somebody has posted a 'feed reader' here for the Kindles.
Ah, several different people I think, you might have a choice of Kindle feed readers.
Now if Amazon can find a spare Kindle ...
Oh, but wait, they would have to jail break it.
And according to the "Kindle expert" they don't know anything about that.

- - - -

Yes, we most likely do have some 'listen only' members here.
One of them hasn't been active here for a long time but lists his work as a Lab126 contractor in his public CV.
I have seen rss feeds. If I log out, I may never find my way back. I hadn't thought of the rss feed.
Now as far as the experts go, it appears they let others do the reverse engineering.
Kind of like plumbers, you find the hole then they come and plug it while hoping there isn't another leak.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 AM   #2397
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Sorry for any inconvenience I might have created (with pushing the precious jailbreak <<I'm not jailbroken yet>> to any risks).

Originally, I contacted ACS just because of a YouTube video showing how if you ask a CS person on the chat to remove your Special Offers, he does it for you for free. The comments on this video were really positive. I was really skeptical. I mean, typically you pay around $20.

So, I contacted them just with the idea to remove the annoying ads on the lock screen. And it worked. I now no longer have "Special offers", which is nice. There are screenshots for that conversation:

(Remember: just click on them)

But after that, I decided to do some ranting about the jailbreak to see how the CS would react. It's like Microsoft and Google - they all let their customers to Interop Unlock/Root their devices.

And what is even more interesting about Amazon is that their OS is open-source and based on Linux but they still seem to not like jailbreaking.

Last edited by nicolasmart; 08-10-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #2398
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Sorry for any inconvenience I might have created (with pushing the precious jailbreak <<I'm not jailbroken yet>> to any risks).

Originally, I contacted ACS just because of a YouTube video showing how if you ask a CS person on the chat to remove your Special Offers, he does it for you for free. The comments on this video were really positive. I was really skeptical. I mean, typically you pay around $20.

So, I contacted them just with the idea to remove the annoying ads on the lock screen. And it worked. I now no longer have "Special offers", which is nice. There are screenshots for that conversation:

(Remember: just click on them)

But after that, I decided to do some ranting about the jailbreak to see how the CS would react. It's like Microsoft, Apple and Google - they all let their customers to Interop Unlock/Jailbreak/Root their devices.

And what is even more interesting about Amazon is that their OS is open-source and based on Linux but they still seem to not like jailbreaking.
Apple doesn't approve that you jailbroke it's devices. In fact, is more difficult every new version.
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #2399
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian1984 View Post
Apple doesn't approve that you jailbroke it's devices. In fact, is more difficult every new version.
Sorry for my mistake! I always watch EverythingApplePro. I just wrote that mechanically. I'm going to edit my post noe.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #2400
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
Well, now stop and think a bit rather than rant on.

It should be obvious to anyone with your experience with corporate operations that when the publicly stated, corporate policy is: "Third party add-ins not supported", then customer service does not have any way to change that.

When the founder, chief executive officer (and majority stock holder), Jeff Bezos, who graduated summa cum laude from Princeton University with degrees in computer science and electrical engineering says that, you can believe it.

If you want to see that policy changed, that is just fine.
But any approach outside of the boardroom is a waste of your time, and ours (customer service is paid to waste their time with the public).
At least in this forum, you are trying to preach to the choir.

This is my thread for the implementation and support of the current jailbreak.
If you want to discuss Amazon corporate policy, please start your own thread for that topic.