Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #31
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Not really. There was one good answer, buy from a local retailer and test the screen in the parking lot -- keep exchanging them until you get a good one. Unfortunately, the OP may not have a local dealer.
There's also the issue of devices being sealed. A lady on another forum bought one from Argos, it had dead pixels so she travelled to a second store (each store tends to only have one Voyage as they spread then between stores) and asked them to open it up before she bought it, they did so although they were not happy. It also had dead pixels so she refused to buy it. Apparently they were a bit put out!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #32
x9prototype
x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW
Are there any images out there of a defective unit vs a good one? I just moved to a Voyage and my screen seems fine. I didn't notice anything wrong. Maybe I just got lucky?
x9prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by x9prototype View Post
Are there any images out there of a defective unit vs a good one? I just moved to a Voyage and my screen seems fine. I didn't notice anything wrong. Maybe I just got lucky?
Lots and lots of pictures in the "Kindle Voyage - First Impressions" thread here. You'll see there that screen pictures that some people regard as faulty, others can see absolutely nothing wrong with. There's a huge variation in individual perception in these matters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #34
x9prototype
x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!x9prototype is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lots and lots of pictures in the "Kindle Voyage - First Impressions" thread here. You'll see there that screen pictures that some people regard as faulty, others can see absolutely nothing wrong with. There's a huge variation in individual perception in these matters.
Thanks for the link. I seemed to luck out as I don't notice any gradient with my screen!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I seemed to luck out as I don't notice any gradient with my screen!
It's there: if you want to see it, take a photograph of your screen, then copy a small section of the top of the screen in your photograph, and paste it at the bottom; you'll see when the two are alongside each other that the top is a little darker than the bottom, simply because the bottom is where the lights are.

Some screens appear to have a greater variation than others, and some people are more sensitive to the effect than others. The important thing is that you're happy with it.
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #36
x9prototype

Ahhh. I do see it now after looking at pictures of my Voyage. Thankfully I don't notice it at all when using it.

http://imgur.com/Ff6M6q2
Old 11-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahhh. I do see it now after looking at pictures of my Voyage. Thankfully I don't notice it at all when using it.

Your screen looks absolutely fine to me, too, but there will doubtless be people who would find it unacceptable, hence my suggestion that if this type of lighting system doesn't work for you, get something else. No point in torturing yourself if it's not to your taste.

BTW, my Kobo H2O has exactly the same type of top-to-bottom lighting variation: Amazon aren't alone in lighting screens this way. In the thread I gave you the link to earlier, you'll see (somewhere) a side-by-side comparison of my Kindle Voyage and Kobo H2O.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just saw Interstellar. Based on that, I would say one would only need to find a way to send yourself a message from the future giving the precise coordinates of a Voyage that is actually good. For that, you just need to find a wormhole, descend into the gravity well of a black hole (but not too far), then enter a fifth dimensional manifold where you can tap out the message in 'binary' (but not Morse), and hope that yourself-in-the-past has a pen and paper to take dictation before the manifold collapses and you are inevitably cast adrift in the vastness of space.

As a bonus, you will have barely aged, and when you return you will be able to avail yourself of most technically advanced reading technology, the Kindle Endurance, with a battery life of several millennia and a full page refresh only every 1bn pages, with self-illuminated nanopixels capable of generating any visible light frequency and the pixels forming each word vibrate, sounding out the word as your eye saccades it. But you will again want to make sure you are getting a good one the first time by employing the wormhole hack.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I do see the gradient in your picture but like mine its very gradual and only noticable if you look for it. I tend only to see it with the light higher than 16 and even then its not an issue for me.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #40
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Not really. There was one good answer, buy from a local retailer and test the screen in the parking lot -- keep exchanging them until you get a good one. Unfortunately, the OP may not have a local dealer.
Technically that doesn't improve your chances of getting a good one the first time. It just makes it a lot more convenient to return it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Technically that doesn't improve your chances of getting a good one the first time. It just makes it a lot more convenient to return it.
Please stop being smugly reasonable. It offends me.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #42
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
just got a kindle pw but not sure which version how can i tell
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
If it says "Kindle" on the back it's a PW1; if it says "Amazon" it's a PW2.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #44
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Once you get the PW look in setting under device info and the serial number will be shown. The first four digits will match something on the wiki link I gave you before. If you can't find the link just google "what Kindle do I have'" and the wiki will be one of the first results.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #45
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
You can pray that the answer comes to you. Apparently it's a valid advice.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote