Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2024, 09:55 PM   #1
hugson
hugson began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Windows 10 failure

On my Windows 10 pc with the latest version of Windows X64, no version of Calibre later than v3.48 runs (I have tried v4, v5, v6 and v7, all with the same result). Trying to start Calibre produces an hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing. An inspection of running processes shows that Calibre is not running. The last version of v3 (3.48) runs fine.

In case this is relevant, my pc's video hardware is non-standard: I run 3 monitors, but monitors 2 and 3 are connected to a USB device and not to video cards, that USB device being a j5create USB 3.0 to Dual HDMI Multi-Monitor Adapter.
hugson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:13 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried disconnecting the two USB connected monitors, restarting and then running calibre?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:45 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Back in late 2019, my onboard video would not allow more than 1040x680 resolution. SFC /scannow did not find this

I even reinstalled W10. So I ran for almost 2 years on a pair of Diamond USB (DVI) modules.

Turns out another app complained about my Direct X. I ran the standard tool (DXDIAG) to check Direct X and it would not run.
Turns out Direct X had become corrupt and whatever had installed it was no longer on my system (lost). A download of direct X from M$ and all fixed
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 05:11 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugson View Post
On my Windows 10 pc with the latest version of Windows X64, no version of Calibre later than v3.48 runs (I have tried v4, v5, v6 and v7, all with the same result). Trying to start Calibre produces an hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing. An inspection of running processes shows that Calibre is not running. The last version of v3 (3.48) runs fine.

In case this is relevant, my pc's video hardware is non-standard: I run 3 monitors, but monitors 2 and 3 are connected to a USB device and not to video cards, that USB device being a j5create USB 3.0 to Dual HDMI Multi-Monitor Adapter.
Try removing the USB monitors and try calibre v7 and see what happens. It could be your USB monitor thingy.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-06-2024 at 08:19 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:09 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Back to your old habits I see, I thought you'd had an epiphany, read what the OP wrote

Quote:
Windows 10 failure

On my Windows 10 pc with the latest version of Windows X64, no version of Calibre later than v3.48 runs (I have tried v4, v5, v6 and v7, all with the same result)
Likely as not it's related to the usb→hdmi gadget te OP is using.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:37 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Back to your old habits I see, I thought you'd had an epiphany, read what the OP wrote

Likely as not it's related to the usb→hdmi gadget te OP is using.
I fairness he does mention that twice.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:42 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I fairness he does mention that twice.
Time of my post 21:09, mod time of Jon's post 22:19.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:24 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't matter who said what if the problem is figured out. The solution may be another matter.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:48 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can I claim credit for suggesting disconnecting the two USB monitors well before anyone else?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:17 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Can I claim credit for suggesting disconnecting the two USB monitors well before anyone else?
Sure you can. I was going to suggest disconnecting the adapter from the computer's usb socket, but when I saw your post I yielded to your suggestion.

Why my way? Firstly there's only one of them, and secondly USB plugs are more amenable to being removed from their sockets than HDMI plugs, which I often find to be a PITA.

BR
Old 04-07-2024, 07:13 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am running a really old (almost 20, VGA) monitor on an ancient Aluratek USB adapter for my 'preview' screen. (W10 ) . The driver for a 'Trigger 1+'

I did find I could not have a more modern USB Video connected at the same time. That fail was at the Windows level)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240406_090612910_MP.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	207400  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:24 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Only if it works.