Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #31
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Are We There Yet? NOT.

It's been less than two years since PDF 1.7 was released as an open standard, even though documentation was available back in late 2006.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/...erence_1-7.pdf

Before anyone criticizes Calibre or any other application that extracts or converts elements of a pdf file, please read the above document. Even to seasoned software professionals, this standard is very intimidating. Unless you decode PDF for a living, you don't know the intricacies of actual file creation, which the writers of the standard forgot to tell you about. This is known as fuzziness in the standard, and only Acrobat and Reader (the Adobe products) have mastered the ins and outs of the format. My foray into PDF testing on the iPad tells me that Apple's crackhead staff does not know what they're doing. The subtle details of PDF, which are mostly in the brains of Adobe programmers, has not been passed to the rest of the world, including Apple.

In the public domain, GNU may have lofty goals of creating libraries to create, read, and strip pdf documents, but I would not hold my breath waiting for this to be accomplished in the next few months.

http://gnupdf.org/Lib:Roadmap

Just remember this well known law: The last 10% of software takes 90% of the time. Second law and well-known excuse: The software performs according to the design. Say what? You mean it does not function correctly, but still meets the design? Lol.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote