Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
StickyWicket
StickyWicket began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Error connecting to device

Hi,

For the past couple of days I have had issues with Calibre connecting to device (Samsung Galaxy Tab).
The issue happens when device is connected and Calibre attempts to get list of books on device (Card A) - Progress gets to 99% and then error occurs. The error also occurs when Sending newly added eBooks to Device (Card A)

Error: out of memory Traceback (most recent call last): File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 511, in _books File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 285, in books File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 308, in write_metadata_cache File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 134, in encode_to_file File "tempfile.py", line 626, in write MemoryError: out of memory

So far I have
1) formatted the SD Carr
2) Re-installed Calibre
3) Tried the previous 3 versions of Calibre
4) Restored the device (Samsung Galaxy Tab)

Is there anything else that I can try?

Tia
StickyWicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWicket View Post
Hi,

For the past couple of days I have had issues with Calibre connecting to device (Samsung Galaxy Tab).
The issue happens when device is connected and Calibre attempts to get list of books on device (Card A) - Progress gets to 99% and then error occurs. The error also occurs when Sending newly added eBooks to Device (Card A)

Error: out of memory Traceback (most recent call last): File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 511, in _books File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 285, in books File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 308, in write_metadata_cache File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 134, in encode_to_file File "tempfile.py", line 626, in write MemoryError: out of memory

So far I have
1) formatted the SD Carr
2) Re-installed Calibre
3) Tried the previous 3 versions of Calibre
4) Restored the device (Samsung Galaxy Tab)

Is there anything else that I can try?

Tia
A different sd card.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
StickyWicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
A different sd card.

bernie
I've tried 3 different SD cards today, all formatted and tested but still experiencing the same error message in Calibre.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The problem is on the computer running calibre, specifically that the computer is running out of RAM while processing the metadata cache for the books on the device. If you have more than 2GB of RAM on that computer then install calibre x64. If not, or if you already have calibre x64, then you must remove books from your device until calibre no longer runs out of memory.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
StickyWicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The problem is on the computer running calibre, specifically that the computer is running out of RAM while processing the metadata cache for the books on the device. If you have more than 2GB of RAM on that computer then install calibre x64. If not, or if you already have calibre x64, then you must remove books from your device until calibre no longer runs out of memory.
Thanks for this

I'm unsure as to why it would be running out of RAM, the computer has 8Gb and the only program running is Calibre.
I've tried Calibre x64, it installs perfectly fine but then will not load, PC is operating on windows 10.
Advert
Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWicket View Post
Thanks for this

I'm unsure as to why it would be running out of RAM, the computer has 8Gb and the only program running is Calibre.
I've tried Calibre x64, it installs perfectly fine but then will not load, PC is operating on windows 10.
If you have both installed, the desktop icon may still be the 32 bit version.
Try the start menu

BTW 32 bit can NOT be running when trying to start the 64 bit version (and the flip)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
StickyWicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you have both installed, the desktop icon may still be the 32 bit version.
Try the start menu

BTW 32 bit can NOT be running when trying to start the 64 bit version (and the flip)
I removed the 32 bit version before installing x64