Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PW3, T80S, T80D, T103D
Trying to get Stock .otf files out of my PW3.

Hi, I'm trying to get the stock helvetica.otf files out of the stock firmware bin for the PW3. I a long time ago somehow got the helvetica nue LT 75 Bold.otf out of the device somehow and now I want to get the LT medium 65 otf now. I made it a ttf and use it on my Boyue devices but would like a non bold variant now. I have so far used the Kindletool to extract the factory bin and cant find a single .otf in there. Where are the stock fonts actually on the PW3 it self, I was under the impression they were in usr/share/fonts?
I also have the PW3 still jailbroken on 5.9.2 with KUAL for reference if you know how to get them out of it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
They're now in a squashfs image, I don't recall the exact location OTOH, and I have no idea how to deal with that outside of Linux anyway.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
From the firmware update.bin:

rootfs/usr/java/lib/fonts.sqsh

I'm on Windows so I used 7-zip to extract the font files from the sqsh package. Dunno what the terminal commands are for Linux.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
shamanNS
Evangelist
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
@ilovejedd: Hehe, nice one. Didn't realize that I could use 7-zip to open squashfs image (at all, let alone while it is still inside a firware img )

No need to boot Linux Mint inside VMware (last time I've tried [Windows 10's] Windows Subsystem for Linux [Ubuntu 18.04] refused to mount the image) and mount the image file.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animalsrvcjew is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PW3, T80S, T80D, T103D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
From the firmware update.bin:

rootfs/usr/java/lib/fonts.sqsh

I'm on Windows so I used 7-zip to extract the font files from the sqsh package. Dunno what the terminal commands are for Linux.
OMG, thank you so much. Once I knew that all I needed to do was use 7 zip like stated man I can't believe I know about squashfs for other things in my work and still spent like 2 hours not noticing that file lol.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@ilovejedd: Hehe, nice one. Didn't realize that I could use 7-zip to open squashfs image (at all, let alone while it is still inside a firware img )

No need to boot Linux Mint inside VMware (last time I've tried [Windows 10's] Windows Subsystem for Linux [Ubuntu 18.04] refused to mount the image) and mount the image file.
MS "Windows Subsystem for Linux" is nowhere a complete emulation.
It can't be, some of the functionality of Linux is not present in MS-Windows.
File system services for instance.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
MS "Windows Subsystem for Linux" is nowhere a complete emulation.
It can't be, some of the functionality of Linux is not present in MS-Windows.
File system services for instance.
On the other hand, the linux stuff is all documented and even has a reference implementation. M$ could easily afford to write their own.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
shamanNS
Evangelist
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
@knc1: IIRC latest (or future?) Win10 Insider builds should come with WSL 2 that will use an actual (custom built) Linux kernel (instead of translating calls to NT kernel)?

https://github.com/microsoft/WSL2-Linux-Kernel

Last edited by shamanNS; 09-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote