Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 04:04 AM   #46
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
How does the Forma feel if you read in landscape mode with the grip below? I suspect for some of the PDFs I need to read I'll need to use landscape and I don't always have access to a table to rest my device on (especially on the train where sometimes getting a seat is difficult).
I've never read in landscape mode when standing. While sitting I tend to alternate between
* reading left-handed, almost like holding a violin: the weight mostly in the interval between thumb and index, 3 long fingers balancing the back, little finger balancing bottom right, and the thumb resting on the right button (forward), sliding to the left for backwards when necessary
* reading with both hands, mostly when I need tactile functions like calling up a dictionary or a search.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #47
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Might go for a Forma then because of 32GB. We're in Milton Keynes this weekend so I might try John Lewis there given we'll be staying fairly close. I already know that the MK PC World doesn't carry it.

I think if I get one of those diagonal straps it will help. Not sure if I want to pay Kobo price for a sleep case; I can get a neoprene sleeve, possibly with a stiffener.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Maybe sometime when she's reading on the Sony you could say something like "how do you manage to read on such a small screen" and see what response you get. If she says something like "I love this Sony because it's small and easy to carry everywhere I go" or "This Sony is really too small, but it was all I could get at the time, and I wish it were bigger" then you'll have an answer
Sorry, but that's not going to work. She may think a 6" screen is good enough, but change her mind once she uses a larger screen. I read on a 6" screen for a long time and when I moved to a 6.8" screen, I was hooked on a larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I would go for the Libra. The Forma might be just too big for her. I have two Kindle Oases with 7'' screens and a Nook with a 7.8'' screen. I would not really want the screen to be any bigger than the Nook's and actually slightly prefer the Kindles.

I've been eyeballing the new Libra since it was announced, but haven't decided yet whether I really want it. Depends on the incoming user reviews, I guess. I was not particularly attracted to the Forma. Your lady's mileage may vary, of course.

(And yes, I'm a woman. Not that it really matters in such things.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #50
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Maybe sometime when she's reading on the Sony you could say something like "how do you manage to read on such a small screen" and see what response you get. If she says something like "I love this Sony because it's small and easy to carry everywhere I go" or "This Sony is really too small, but it was all I could get at the time, and I wish it were bigger" then you'll have an answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that's not going to work. She may think a 6" screen is good enough, but change her mind once she uses a larger screen. I read on a 6" screen for a long time and when I moved to a 6.8" screen, I was hooked on a larger screen.
It depends on what her priority is - whether she cares more about having the best possible screen, or whether she cares more about having a small reader for portability.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It depends on what her priority is - whether she cares more about having the best possible screen, or whether she cares more about having a small reader for portability.
Plus "best possible screen" is subjective?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #52
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I don't see portability as a big deal. The only time she carries it anywhere is when she is traveling on a trip and in this case the difference in size is pretty much a non-factor.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #53
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I don't see portability as a big deal. The only time she carries it anywhere is when she is traveling on a trip and in this case the difference in size is pretty much a non-factor.

Could you get her the Forma and if she doesn't like the size, then return/exchange for the Libra? I know you didn't want to get both at once, and understand why, but this way, you get her the best available, she'll appreciate that. You don't have to mention return is an option *unless* she appears upset over the size.

I have to agree with you that if she doesn't carry the reader with her everywhere, portability is not a big deal.

I carry my Aura ONE everywhere, my bag is big enough to hold it and I see no issues to portability with larger screen devices unless a woman prefers a very small bag. Which some do.

One thing sure, I think she is a lucky gal that you regard her so highly as to put this effort into making the right choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #54
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, what you say is the approach that I favor also. I'm leaning toward the Forma given the fact that it is arguably the best ereader out there. As you say, if there becomes an issue, then this is the basis for my asking which vendors are easiest to deal with on a return.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #55
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Amazon doesn't sell Kobo in US?
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #56
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Yes, what you say is the approach that I favor also. I'm leaning toward the Forma given the fact that it is arguably the best ereader out there. As you say, if there becomes an issue, then this is the basis for my asking which vendors are easiest to deal with on a return.

If she really likes to read, and I'm assuming your choice of gift means she does, then I do think the larger screens tend to be more immersive. At least for me they are, and I'm one of those who reads like I breathe, LOL! (Constantly.)

The other thing is that people don't always realize how nice a big screen is until they try it. Folks can be reluctant to go for change.

My husband is more of a Kindle guy, not a huge reader, but still enjoys reading. I'd keep seeing him using a smaller text size than I think he was truly comfy with on his Paperwhite, but when I mentioned he might like a larger screen, he didn't seem all that keen. But when Amazon started offering the trade in deal, I persuaded him to try, figuring if he hated it, no big deal to return an Oasis, get him another Paperwhite. He *loves* the larger screen of his Oasis 2 and I'm happy not to see him squinting at his reader.

If your lady ever reads anything illustrated, the large screen is wonderful for illustrations as well. As long as the publisher has done it with high enough resolution images.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #57
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
I pulled the trigger, without waiting to try one out.

Am loving the Libra. It feels really comfortable to hold & the page turn buttons placed just right for one handed use. I haven't noticed an negatives going to a smaller screen size compared to my one. I actually have been using a slightly smaller font size on the Libra, so have more words per page than the One.
I love the overall form factor of the Libra & am very happy with my choice.
Though it probably doesn't answer your original question Petercreasy as it is just down to personal choice
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #58
petercreasey
Wizard

Interesting you went from KA1 to the Libra.

I'm leaning slightly toward the Forma but your report on the Libra gives me pause.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:12 AM   #59
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I've been reading on the Libra for more than 10 days now, and I think it will be my reader of choice, reserving the Forma for most PDFs (though some, with one page per screen and decent font size, read fine on the Libra).

The only minus for the Libra is the hard plastic back. I've been considering finger straps, but they seem too tight from what I've seen on Amazon, and the plastic is pocked, while the straps need to be glued to a smooth surface.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #60
petercreasey
Wizard

Interesting...

Most of the tech reviews I've run across much prefer the Libra over the Forma.

I'm starting to tilt toward the Libra.