Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #166
ps67
Groupie
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's promising! It seems like the Libra might really become my first Kobo reader.
Welcome in the world of Kobo: a world of hidden feature, Kobopatch, and easy installation of Koreader and many other amenities

And, if You find the time, You can also read some books
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #167
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Welcome in the world of Kobo: a world of hidden feature, Kobopatch, and easy installation of Koreader and many other amenities

Thank you. I've already read a few threads on patches here. It's certainly going to be interesting.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #168
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
This exactly! It's why I take breaks every now and then.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #169
SusanReads
Connoisseur
SusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one hand

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktank View Post
I don't know what else to say other than it does affect me, perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive to PWM flicker? Regardless, thanks for the note. I'm curious for a screen rendition comparison with the forma. Between the substrates and the top layer text can look very different between two readers of the same resolution. Goodereader reviews are not a good source for this because they have uneven glare (the left reader will have more glare) in the way they are lit. They need to change their camera / lighting setup.
Yes, I've noticed that too! The glare really makes the screen of the left e-reader look less clear.
SusanReads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #170
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
I don't know what else to say other than it does affect me, perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive to PWM flicker?
So, you have used a Kobo Forma enough to determine that the PWM implementation on it affects your eyes? I just want to check because with all the hue and cry over the Forma using PWM, I don't believe that anyone has actually said it is causing them problems.

If you are basing this on your use of other devices, you need to look at the device and their implementation of PWM. Most specifically, what frequency is used. The Forma uses about 1KHz, which, as far as I can determine, is well above the frequency considered to cause problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 PM   #171
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, you have used a Kobo Forma enough to determine that the PWM implementation on it affects your eyes? I just want to check because with all the hue and cry over the Forma using PWM, I don't believe that anyone has actually said it is causing them problems.

If you are basing this on your use of other devices, you need to look at the device and their implementation of PWM. Most specifically, what frequency is used. The Forma uses about 1KHz, which, as far as I can determine, is well above the frequency considered to cause problems.
I’d also point out correlation vs causation. Just because you get a headache while using a device using PWM regardless of frequency does not necessarily mean you got it because of the device.

There are lots of causes for headaches which can take place while reading. Eliminate them before declaring one to be the issue
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #172
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You know what, this viewpoint has never even occurred to me. Thanks for ego boosting.
Lol ! YW, Sirtel I think the gold color might grow on you over time.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #173
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
In my mind it's just light brown. But your description sounded better lol
Thanks, It's a nice light brown too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #174
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
Quote:
So, you have used a Kobo Forma enough to determine that the PWM implementation on it affects your eyes?
No, but I don't have the opportunity to do so in a way that would allow me to easily return, so if I'm hedging my bets, it would be a consideration.
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #175
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
No, but I don't have the opportunity to do so in a way that would allow me to easily return, so if I'm hedging my bets, it would be a consideration.
OK, so I'm still at no actual reports of the PWM on a Forma causing a problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #176
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
Quote:
OK, so I'm still at no actual reports of the PWM on a Forma causing a problem.
Yes, I think that is very reasonable, and for any other person, I would not even mention the PWM. There is one person that did report that by the by, regardless, unless we are going to have a controlled study, anectodal evidence is not much of a report. I did not mean to add to the hubbub about it, just wanted to know it for a personal decision.
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #177
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Yes, I think that is very reasonable, and for any other person, I would not even mention the PWM. There is one person that did report that by the by, regardless, unless we are going to have a controlled study, anectodal evidence is not much of a report. I did not mean to add to the hubbub about it, just wanted to know it for a personal decision.
Given the lack of physiological plausibility and absence of a convincing proposed mechanism of harm from high-frequency PWM, even a single ordinary controlled study wouldn't impress me all that much unless it was very impressively large and free of flaws/counfounders/bias potential. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #178
SusanReads
Connoisseur
SusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one handSusanReads can read with one hand

I just received my Libras! I ordered the white one and the black one so I could see which one I will keep.

So far I've noticed several things:
- The screen is VERY clear. I've compared it to my Voyage and I didn't expect it, but the text is just as clear.
- There is a slight yellow hue on both devices on the right bottom (like a quarter of the screen) I have to admit that the screen is so nice that I'm not that bothered by it.
- The white Libra has a whiter (bluer) screen that the black device. So I guess this will differ per device. It is not an optical illusion due to the bezels.

The menu is great, and I LOVE the progress bar!

I will post some pics of the screen.
SusanReads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #179
tourneur
Enthusiast
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Thanks Susan! Looking forward to the comparison pics. I will be receiving mine today or tmrw.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #180
SusanReads
Connoisseur

First pic is both the Libras. You can't actually see the yellow hue in the pics. And you can't really see the difference in screen colors, but the black Libra's screen is definitely more yellow in RL.

The second pic is the white Libra and the Voyage. The font weight of the Voyage is different, so ignore that. Both texts are just as crisp.

You can see the text in the 3rd pic. The text is not that great on the left side, but that's due to the picture quality, not the Libra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	173512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel2.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	173513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel5.JPG
Views:	240